I made an error on an IBAN transfer - how can I rectify matters?

Thanks for the responses to date on this topic.
To summarise it appears that online banks only check that the IBAN is valid and this validation is based solely on the digits in the IBAN number. There is no cross check on account number & sort code even though they are entered in the online banking transaction screen.
It also appears that there is no protocol or regulations for retrieving money lodged to the wrong account.
Hence anyone using such online systems must be very very careful in entering the IBAN number.

Did it give you another screen where everything was confirmed before transfer after you filled out the form and submitted it?

I honestly cant remember if it gave me such a screen but I presume so as the transaction went ahead.
I have been trying to get my money back for over one year now and have not used the system since.
I have resorted to bank drafts and registered letters. More time consuming but it works.

I now feel its time to seeks some legal advice on this matter. What do you fellow readers recommend?

Hi banter

I am not sure that the legal route would get you anywhere.

It seems to me that the whole IBAN and, accordingly the Singe European Payments Area, is deeply flawed if it does not have a mechanism for correcting normal human errors.

At this stage, you should submit a formal question to the who are responsible for the roll out of the Single European Payments Area. Ask them what is the mechanism for resolving an error in an IBAN resulting in a payment going to a wrong account.

You should also alert the Financial Regulator to the issue.

You should also contact the European Consumer Centre who are very proactive in sorting out these sort of issues.

When you have exhausted all these, then you could try the legal process.

Brendan

There wasn't an error in the IBAN number, the OP entered the wrong IBAN number!

while it may not seem very helpful surely banks investment in technology is to avoid manual checking.

Yes. But where an error is made by either the bank or the customer, there should be a mechanism in place to fix it. There doesn't appear to be one in this case.

Brendan

You say in an earlier post that you can identify the beneficary of your transfer and that its a corporate. Have you tried to contact their finance department? They should have an unidentified receipt on their bank statement and maybe willing to transfer it back to you.

Its worth a shot...

while it may not seem very helpful surely banks investment in technology is to avoid manual checking.
This manual intervention is called "managing" or "problem solving", if you prefer, and its what people do when the technology fails or is incomplete, as appears to be the situation in OP's case.

Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be any management or problem solving system in place to help OP, which is a disgrace.

You say in an earlier post that you can identify the beneficary of your transfer and that its a corporate. Have you tried to contact their finance department? They should have an unidentified receipt on their bank statement and maybe willing to transfer it back to you.

Its worth a shot...
Yeah - I wondered that in the second post in this thread!
Have you contacted the mistaken recipient of the money directly?
and the original poster replied:
I have not contacted the benificary but by searching google with the IBAN I have found out who they are. I will contact them next.
but I can't see anything that suggests that they followed through on this suggestion which certainly seems like a more obvious option to try before suggesting some sort of legal route!

Good news. I finally got my money back.
I got my money back by finding out who had the IBAN I used, phoning them and after several conversations and leters they kindly returned my money.
Importantly the banks where of absolutely zero assistance.

I'm a bit surprised at the posts suggesting the Bank is somehow partly at fault here.

The Bank simply acted on customer instructions.

If my bank makes a mistake, I expect them to rectify it. If I make a mistake, I might contact the bank to see if anything can be done - but I certainly wouldn't be running to the Financial Regulator over a situation that's of my own making.

Whatever happened to personal responsibility?

Hi, I have a similar problem. I transferred €6000 from my German bank (I worked in Germany for 6 months) to my UK bank and gave the wrong IBAN and SWIFT numbers - I Googled them thinking they were branch specific numbers. So now my money is at this travel agent (the first result I got from Google) and the travel agent has confirmed that they have my money - but they appear very cagey and unwilling to help, saying that they want to talk to their bank manager (who would be my manager as we are at the same branch). My UK bank is completely unhelpful saying that they didn't do the transfer therefore cannot even trace it. The travel agent has not come back to me after they said they would once they had discussed this with the bank manager, more than two days ago. I first discussed this with them 5 days ago.
If anyone has any advice I'd really appreciate it as I feel this situation is driving me completely insane.

5.... In Ireland, if a bank posts a credit to a wrong account, the bank cannot simply reverse the transaction. It must first seek permission from the holder of the account which was wrongly credited. If that permission is not forthcoming, then there are certain legal processes which may be followed. The precedent case here, as far as I recall involved Team Aer Lingus.[/quote]

Well that depends on who gets the money in their account.- Back in my student days my buddy went to the drink link and check his balance in AIB, there was an extra 300,000 in the account and we debated for all of 3 seconds whether this was an error, and should we be good decent citizens and inform the bank on the monday morning about the error-- Man that was some weekend.... and his max daily withdrawal limit of 260 worked fulltime for the 2 days and nights we spent on the rip. He kept it going until Tuesday morning when debit of 300,000 was passed to his account and he was left with an balance of -780. During that 3 second debate at the drinklink I suggested the urban myth that they wont be able to take the money back out without your permission, but on the tuesday they did.
He went on his J1 to the states 2 weeks later and that was that. He was too sickened to go and challenge AIB, and morally he shouldn't have either.
Even though it wasn't my account, I did feel somewhat guilty and ashamed but I can tell you that was some weekend. He ended up having to get his dad to sort out the debt in his absence.

As regards the IBAN problem ask the bank to send on a SWIFT message to the receiving bank with the correct details. The fact that you had the correct Sort Code and Account number and beneficiary name means that the receiving bank did not exercise due care and attention validating the correct beneficiary. If there was conflicting information on the transfer then one would assume that the receiving bank would have held the funds in a suspense account while querying the payment with the originating bank.
Raise an official compaint with the originating Bank (your bank). I'm sure if you had raised your query early enough they should have been able to get it recalled or rediverted to the correct account. In my experience never use an IBAN to send funds to the UK. It is not a requirement unless you are sending Euros. Send GBP and use sortcode & account number(costs a little more but much simpler).
If all else fails , then contact the company that received the funds and see how that goes, if that fails make a claim to your bank that you were a suspect that you are victim of online fraud or you suspect that the funds may possibly be used for terrorist activities, you may not get your money back but it would sure raise hell for all the banks involved as well as the company who refuse to give you back the funds.

Often a UK company will not tell you its' IBAN anyways. As said sort code and account number is the best way to go.

Often a UK company will not tell you its' IBAN anyways. As said sort code and account number is the best way to go.
To make an online transfer you need IBAN number. IBAN number is made from sort code and account code. Check your bank statement and you will see IBAN code and how it uses your sort code and account number to form IBAN code.
That said, it is the simplest thing to cross reference IBAN code with these using a very basic programme code. This cross referenceing should be part of all online banking checks so that before a transaction is completed it checks. I know IBAN code is validated but that is obviously not enough.

Back