Hungary abolishes HUF band

UrbanDev

One year after we had the discussions about the HUF band on AAM, the Monetary Council has (finally) decided to scrap the band.
At this point it's hard to say if this is gonna be good or bad news for the people with property in Hungary.

The Monetary Council of Hungary, in accordance with the government, has abolished the forint's fluctuation band against the euro as of 26 February, and decided to switch to a floating exchange rate regime.

“The National Bank of Hungary (NBH) considers the establishment and long-term sustaining of price stability its foremost and most important objective. In an inflation targeting system, considering the wide scope of macroeconomic and money market processes, the central bank reacts to the combined effect of these. Restricting exchange rate fluctuations in an inflation targeting system do not contribute to anchoring long-term inflation expectations."

“The abolishment of the exchange rate band is an important step towards the adoption of the euro in Hungary. A floating exchange rate regime creates more favourable conditions for the central bank to achieve its inflation target, and via this to meet the nominal Maastricht criteria and to enter the ERM-2."

“Given the openness of the Hungarian economy, the exchange rate will continue to play an important role in forming inflationary processes. If other developments in the economy fail to counterbalance, a sustained and considerable change in the nominal exchange rate will be reflected in the central bank's inflation prognosis and as such will exert an impact on monetary policy."

REACTIONS

Gábor Ambrus, 4Cast, London

“Defying our expectations, the Hungarian central bank has left rates unchanged at 7.50% but at the same time announced that it scrapped the trading band of the forint, a decision taken jointly with the government."

“CPI forecast is upped by a significant margin both for and 2008 and 2009. EUR/HUF reacted with a significant three figure dip."

2CPI report will offer a considerable amount of food for thought and market will now be eagerly awaiting what Governor Simor and the MPC will have to say."

“There will no doubt be some credibility issues to be addressed and we still expect to MPC to keep a hawkish bias and we still see the outlook biased to hikes."

Mariann Trippon, CIB Bank, Budapest

“The main intention of the central bank was to stabilize the market and leaving the base rate on hold and at the same time abandoning the band could do the job."

“It seems that the government and the central bank reached a compromise. Moving to free float was already in the air, but the government always rejected the idea, however they might have felt that the recent weakening of the HUF makes the decision less risky."

“Volatility is likely to persist in the upcoming period until the market finds a new equilibrium level."

Nigel Rendell, Royal Bank of Canada, London

“This was a clever move by the NBH, but whether this has a lasting impact on boosting the HUF is debatable. Hungary needs a tighter policy in order to cap inflationary pressures but higher interest rates would further hit the depressed domestic economy."

“By scraping the HUF band the central bank hopes that an appreciating currency will do the trick. However, the risk remains, particularly against an uncertain global environment, that the HUF rally runs out of steam."

“This would leave the NBH in a very difficult situation, particularly if there are disappointments on the inflation side."

Gyula Tóth, Martin Blum, UniCredit, Vienna

“We now see risk/reward in favour of receiving 5y rates (target 7%) and moving to long HGB duration, but would be flat HUF."

“Our rationale for positioning for lower rates:

(1) scrapping of EUR/HUF band means a greater degree of monetary conditions tightening could (though need not necessarily) now occur through a firmer HUF (+ if there's no HUF band the NBH doesn't need to hike to protect it).

(2) Politically, the govt is obviously trying to avoid hikes by finally giving the greenlight to scrapping the band.

(3) Growth remains soft.

N-t constructive for HUF (meaning we move back to neutral from neg and close EUR/HUF longs and move to M/W HUF). The big caveat, however, is that the soft growth outlook and lack of NBH hikes is not overly HUF positive in the m-t (despite an improvement in twin deficit). This means we continue to see better risk/reward on rates than FX."

Stuart Bennett, Calyon, London

“First impression is that getting rid of the HUF bands should not be good for the HUF. The NBH said that bands not in line with anchoring inflation expectations at the same time as increasing its 2008 and 2009 CPI forecasts."

“Hence suggests that Bank would like the HUF, rather than interest rate hikes, to do the hard work in fighting inflation, but with activity weak and perhaps the prospect of rate hikes diminishing there is little obvious reason to be bullish HUF solely because what were wide trading bands to start off with have been abolished"

“Plus, on the rate outlook, notice that the NBH is assuming wage growth of 7.8% in 2008 - this is still a little above its comfort range, but probably not enough to force it to hike rates aggressively given the econ backdrop."

Raffaella Tenconi, Dresdner Kleinwort, London

“The decision to abandon the HUF band today is surprising, but extremely positive since it is evidence that PM Gyurcsany maintains a strong leadership and is committed to advance deep structural reforms."

“By abandoning the band, the central bank will have full scope to influence inflation and the exchange rate. This is a major step forward since one of the main weaknesses of Hungary has been continuing elevated inflation expectations."

“At the same time, the abandonment of the band will put more pressure on the central bank and the government to deliver coherent and transparent policies in order to avoid disorderly corrections in Hungarian assets."

“The new Inflation Report revised the inflation projections in line with our view, strongly signalling that the MPC will tighten monetary policy in the near term. Headline inflation (avg) is seen at 5.9% in 2008 (from 5% previously) and 3.6% in 2009 (from 3.0%). That is inflation will not converge to the 3% target until the end of 2009. Core inflation (avg) is expected at 5.2% in 2008 (from 4.6%) and 3.6% in 2009 (from 3.1%). The growth outlook was revised down to 2.0% in 2008 (from 2.4%) and 3.0% in 2009."

“These developments reinforce our view of a 50bps monetary tightening in the near term, with potential for more given the uncertain global environment."

György Barcza, K&H Bank, Budapest

“The Monetary Council's statement emphasised that it will not tolerate deterioration of inflation expectations (ie. high yields at the long-end) and that rate hike may come if needed."

“Governor Mr Simor said that rate decision was a close call as 25bp hike was also discussed."

“The band abolishment was decided before the rate decision, which means that all members took into account that."

“Overall, the message sounds quite hawkish and we maintain our call for a 50bp rate hike, but we consider splitting it to two 25bp steps for March and April."

“The message sounds hawkish, especially as Governor said that "Council's aim is to cut inflation to target in 2009". This means significant disinflation as both core and headline CPI are projected at 3.6% for average-2009 vs the 3% target, although projection is close to 3% for end-2009."

“The inflation report now has slower growth and higher inflation path, this year's average CPI forecast was raised to 5.9%, close to our 6% level. The EURHUF assumption is 256, so at current exchange rate, somewhat higher inflation path would be the result."

“How could the central bank convince the government about scrapping the band? MNB has been arguing for this move for almost a year and the government might face the dilemma between exchange rate band with higher rates (extra budget cost) or no band with probably lower rates over the medium-term."

“Government finally took the better option in our understanding and this means another good point for the central bank. Last year we wrote that central bank will need more good points to achieve low inflation goals and it has gained one more."

Eszter Gárgyán, Citibank, Budapest

“The upside shift in the inflation forecast suggests to us that the NBH needs to see a significantly stronger forint to meet the inflation target, and with the abandonment of the band significant forint appreciation is now possible, supporting disinflation. Therefore, we believe that the NBH will still need to raise rates in the coming months, but less aggressive moves may be sufficient to support the currency due to the strengthening of monetary policy credibility."

“Our view is that the abandonment of the band supports monetary policy credibility, thereby reducing the expected risk premium on forint assets. This suggests to us that the NBH will probably need to hike less aggressively in the coming months to support disinflation, though we still believe there is a chance for a rate hike at the next MPC meeting in March."

“The size of the hike is likely to depend on market movements. Our view is that the MPC is trying to act cautiously with gradual 25bp steps."

“Following and increased initial volatility, we expect the forint to strengthen, supported by a hawkish monetary policy stance. Our view is that the abandonment of the band is supportive for long yields and the forint, but this alone does not prevent rate hikes in the short term, since a significantly stronger forint (around 245 against the euro) would be needed to achieve the 3% inflation target in 2009."

“This argument is also supported by today's hawkish statement, which emphasises the risks to elevated inflation expectations, owing to the upcoming supply-side shocks to producers. The statement confirms that further monetary tightening may be needed if incoming data, such as wages and prices, do not support the moderation of inflation expectations."

Lars Christensen, Danske Bank, Copenhagen

“The NBH also announced that it has abandoned its FX fluctuation band. We have long expected that this would happen sooner or later, so in that sense it is not a major surprise."

“Even though the NBH today left its key rate unchanged, the Hungarian forint rallied on the back of the decision."

“This clearly must be seen in the light of what is, in our opinion, a wise decision to finally get rid of the FX fluctuation band. The market reaction therefore is justified, but it should also be said that the forint spot rate was nowhere near the band - either at the weak or at the strong end of the band. The decision to scrap the fluctuation band was taken by the NBH with the consent of the Hungarian government which could have vetoed it."

“The decision ends years of an inconsistent monetary regime of dual targets - both FX and inflation - that the NBH has never been happy about. This is clearly a wise and positive decision."

2Even though the decision to abandon the FX fluctuation band is positive it should, in our view, not have a long-lasting positive impact on the forint and despite the favourable market reaction to the decision, we do not expect the rally in the forint to continue and we maintain the view that the risk of a large negative correction in the forint has increased on the back of the worsening of the global credit conditions. Rates and yields today fell roughly 20-25 bp at the front end of the curve."

“Today the NBH also published its quarterly inflation report. Not surprisingly, the NBH adjusted up its inflation forecast to 5.9% for 2008 vs an earlier 5.0%. This is not surprising given the recent weakness in the forint, higher oil prices and higher food prices. The NBH also adjusted down its GDP forecast for 2008 to 2.0% y/y from a previous 2.4% y/y."

“Going forward there is still a risk of rate hikes in Hungary - especially if the forint weakens significantly - but for now we believe that the NBH will maintain its wait-and-see approach."

Source: Portfolio.hu

Between now and 2010 the HUF WILL strengthen against the EUR - as it must do to be able to enter the EMU-2

I think it's likely that the HUF will strengthen against the EUR, but as far as I know, there is no benchmark rate requirement for it to be able to enter the Eurozone. Of course other criteria need to be reached - budget deficit consistently below 3%, etc.

The removal of the HUF band is ultimately a positive step, which has been coming for a long time. Some excellent analysis above.

'likely the HUF will strengthen' is hardly a confident bet. Trying to predict future FX exchange is almost futile. I agree that of course there is some currency risk involved with any property outside of the Eurozone. However, as I stated here before, the EUR value of city centre properties in Budapest counts for a lot and if the HUF were to fall and fail to bounce back to 1Euro=250-255HUF (this has never happened under the current system), the value of properties would not (typically speaking) fall accordingly. The major risk is to leave cash sitting in a HUF account, although even then, deposit interest rates of around 8% would more than likely soften the blow, if the HUF were to fall significantly.

In my opinion, the Mundell-Fleming model is very outdated at this stage and doesn't seem to apply well to small economies like Hungary.

Let's hope the scrapping of the band will not bring 'homeboy' George Soros on some spectacular ideas ;)

Interesting thread since I am due to repatriate the proceeds of my apartment sale in about two weeks.
From the analysis above though, it seems that there is little risk to my capital in the short period that it takes for the deal to go through.
It does probably highlight that I picked the wrong time to sell (as if I wasn't aware of that already), as any appreciation of the would benefit those with existing interests in Budapest
But as someone said, trying to time FX markets is a mugs game, so I'm glad I'm (almost) out of it:)

amgd28, if you're worried about FX changes over the next week, you could forward book a rate with e.g. www.axiafx.com, but either way, it's a risk. In any case, you could have done a lot worse in relation to exchange rates, e.g. last week for example, when the mid rate was over 1EUR-265HUF.

Interesting interview with Hungary's Monetary Council member Gábor Oblath:
http://www.portfolio.hu/en/cikkek.tdp?k=2&i=14262
His personal opinion: "I do not believe the scrapping of the band will change the optimal level of foreign currency reserves. I am well aware than, in theory, larger FX reserves go with an exchange rate regime with a trading band, but Hungary's policy about FX reserves has never been optimised to intervention on the weak end of the band".

Of course only time will tell...

[broken link removed]

"As nearly 60% of Hungarian households' outstanding loans were FX-based at the end of January, any forint weakening against the euro and primarily the Swiss frank is becoming more and more painful for those who took out such loans. According to figures provided by the National Bank of Hungary (NBH), the easing of the HUF itself boosted households' debts to banks by HUF 189 billion in January alone. "

"
the HUF eased by nearly 5% against the CHF, which has a determining weight within FX loans, between end-December and end-January, while the forint's depreciation versus the euro was 2% in this period.

In February, the HUF weakened by further 4% to the CHF and 2.5% vs. EUR, but loan statistics are not yet available for that month. We can still be quite sure that household burdens in this respect grew considerably due to the weaker forint in the second month of the year, as well.

The share of foreign currency loans within the total continued to rise: in January it was up to 57.3% from 55.0%. This ratio has been rising continuously over the past two years. In January, it was nearly twice its level of two years previously."

So the forint is down 9% in two months and may have further to go as the carry trade unwinds. This could get ugly!

Yes. It's cost me a few grand in the weeks waiting for the cash to come trough since closing of the sale.:mad:

Yes. It's cost me a few grand in the weeks waiting for the cash to come trough since closing of the sale.:mad:

There can be easily 2% difference on 1 day. Only this morning, the HUF has been fluctuating between 263.40 and 266. If you speak big numbers, these percentages can make a difference, so best talk with your bank before changing.

PS: I guess you'll be glad when your BP-adventure is coming to an end ;)

amgd28, if you haven't transferred this money yet, then make sure to register with a company like [broken link removed] as you will be able to book a rate in advance. They will be able to advise you, based on current information, when the best time to transfer may be.

Just got out in time then:). Conversion rate when the sale closed for me was approx 252:1, which was great considering it had been around 260:1 a couple of weeks before I sold

Very interesting Budapest .... I noticed that article on portfolio also. Since I purchase my first apartment the HUF has appreciated by 18% against the GBP - hand over is later this year.

My second apartment I purchased more recently but still there has been a 10% appreciate of HUF since I got that one too.

I purchased with HUF appreciation in mind - it is always nice when a plan works out. As for selling - I have no plans in that regard - not for another 2 - 3 yrs minimum, by then Id wager that the Hungarian economy will be back on track to 4% + growth and 20% property appreciation.

As I have said before - I think Hungary will boom from 2009 - 2014 - and possible there after for some time once EMU 2 adoption is complete (dependent on competitive corporate tax cuts).

To take advantage of the Currency revaluation people need to be in the market NOW. People are nuts wanting to sell now ..... but then again I think it is more of a case of having to sell due to over leverage thus forced to sell to meet other commitments.

:)

"
INSTANT VIEW - Inflation turns ugly in Hungary in May, rises to 7.0% yr/yr (3)
(Adds comment by JPMorgan, UniCredit on page3) Hungary's consumer prices rose by 1.1% month on month and by 7.0% year on year in May 2008, causing a huge negative surprise. The consensus forecast of analysts in a Portfolio.hu poll was for a yr/yr "

This is why the HUF will keep on increasing in Value vs EUR & other currencies. It is the only way they can offset the huge inflationary pressures.

The MPC will chose the path to fight inflation that would impact the foreign loan market least, which is why the MPC will do everything it can to INCREASE the value of HUF - although reducing the competitveness of Hungarian manufacturing, it is far better to risk that rather than massive debt defaulting.

Interest rate rises will still have to come, but the main method to fight inflations will come from currency appreciation.

This is why Hungary is better placed to fend off the economic downturn because Hungary can revalue its currency - it still has room to manouver as opposed to the surrounding countrys have less room to manouver since their currency's are already far stronger.

From my position - hand over for my first apartment is in 2 -3 months (in Euros), timing could not have been better and then 6 months later I complete on my second - in HUF but for which I am getting a Mortgage.

Man ...... it wont happen overnight, (exactly 182 days .... lol) slow recovery 4th quater 2008 followed by flow of big money and companies like TriGránit (already announced massive investment in near future), kinda a snowball effect, initially triggered by the marketing machines of these big companies promoting Hungary in all manner of ways.

Back