Huge Drop in Defined Benefit Transfer Value

I did see a post somewhere (unfortunately I don't remember where) suggesting that DB transfer values were unlikely to get any higher, might be about to drop and that it was the best time to transfer if that was in your plans

I did see a post somewhere (unfortunately I don't remember where) suggesting that DB transfer values were unlikely to get any higher, might be about to drop and that it was the best time to transfer if that was in your plans
OP probably took the generic "lifestyling" advice to shift toward bonds and cash as you got closer to retirement. This is designed to be "low risk" but was in my view no longer appropriate in 2019-2021 when euro area interest rates were so low they were negative in some cases, meaning that bond values were at all-time highs. Interest rates have risen a lot since (and bond prices have fallen) so that's no longer the case but for you unfortunately for the OP the losses are locked in.

It's a topic for another thread, but people should recall that bonds have a theoretical ceiling on any increase in their value but equities do not.

Last edited:
OP probably took the generic "lifestyling" advice to shift toward bonds and cash as you got closer to retirement. This is designed to be "low risk" but was in my view no longer appropriate in 2019-2021 when euro area interest rates were so low they were negative in some cases, meaning that bond values were at all-time highs. Interest rates have risen a lot since (and bond prices have fallen) so that's no longer the case but for you unfortunately for the OP the losses are locked in.
I don't think that is what is happening here. See my post #16. The statutory formula for the TV discounts the pension entitlements and adjusts with the yield on French govies. Ok, that is consistent with the lifestyling approach you describe but the formula is quite independent of what approach the fund actually applies.
It's a topic for another thread, but people should recall that bonds have a theoretical ceiling on any increase in their value but equities do not.
Yes, and bonds have a minimum floor (and ceiling) at maturity which equites do not.

Back