How to get upgraded

Flying to NY November. What's the best way in getting upgraded?

Buy a first class/business class ticket. :rolleyes:

Seriously though you can't expect something for nothing these days.

For one what airline are you flying on?

Did you buy a full fare economy ticket? If yes, you may be able to do a PAID upgrade at the airport? Yes P A I D.

Do you have any status in any airline program? I'm guessing if you're asking this question here then you don't.

Upgrades usually work like this. If economy is overbooked and there are seats upfront these will be offered to the airlines elite flyers who happen to be travelling in economy. Then they will offer seats to the airlines partner elites. Then they might offer seats for sale to those who purchased a full fare economy ticket. Finally if after all of that they can't fill the seats they MIGHT offer them to general sale at checkin. And sometimes its an airlines policy not to offer upgrades to those of outside of their elites so as not to dilute the product.

The days of getting a free upgrade for flirting/begging/charming are long gone.

The best chance you have is if you are travelling on your own on a busy flight leg and are dressed respectably, ie. pants and shirt at least and no jeans.
Travelling as a couple and the chance is significantly less.
Given that a busy flight leg will almost always be oversold, the check-in desk will always upgrade in singles as the check-in evolves. This allows more flexibility to capture "go-shows" business travellers turning up willing to pay for a last minute business fare.

You may laugh but if you wear a sports jacket, and just ask them on check in. It worked for me a couple of times. Its harder now as they keep them for frequent users. A guy beside me once flying to Miami who was also upgraded told me to ask upon check in 'are you looking for SFU's?' This apparently means 'suitable for upgrades. It was an American Airlines hostess who told me of the jacket thing.
I agree with above, it's much easier travelling alone.

What majik says is correct in these times. Unless the flight is seriously overbooked you have little or no chance of an upgrade without an expensive ticket and/or frequent flyer status. Dressing smartly never hurts but if a flight isn't full then it's cheaper to leave gaps in business than economy.

As for asking at check in, it depends on who you meet. Some people will tell you that if you ask they mark you as not suitable for upgrade but others say it helps your chances.

Bottom line is don't set your heart on it and if it happens, enjoy it!

I got upgraded once with my boyfriend and we were the only couple there and were dressed like students and badly dressed ones at that.

The other upgrades were a young fella who we presumed worked for the air line (he wore a suit) and someone in crutches. We said that in future we'd bring a pair of crutches and see how we'd get on!

Some airlines upgrade on the basis of the title used to book. I booked on BA once under Dr. Bond and I got upgraded without asking. They said they wanted people of my status in business class. :D

Bear in mind these are different ecomonic times, airlines are not likely to give upgrades away "just because" any more. I'm an elite flyer within my preferred airline group and have seen a lot of empty business class seats this year, from both sides of the curtain.

Would you consider paying a bit more for the upgrade?
I have been upgraded in the past but have not been offered one on Aer Lingus in the last 2-3 years. As you may be aware, you can buy an upgrade on any of the USA-DUB routes with Aer Lingus., and they actively advertise the offer on check-in there.
I have used it a few times and I think its reasonable value. Last month I flew Boston-Dublin and the upgrade was $600 say €400, and I felt it was worth it. There is little enough take-up on this deal though. However, it makes good sense if there are empty seats in Premier (although it may p. off any full fare business travellers, but they will be on expenses so may not care)

I do not know why AL do not do this offer on DUB-USA leg!

If you are flying Continental they release the exit rows 24 houre before departure. You have to call them to get your seat reassigned. Not an upgrade but it will give you extra leg room.

Should exit rows not be assigned at the airport?
If not there is nothing to stop a 98 year old granny from getting them. :eek:

You can reserve exit rows on line with several airlines but this all online seat bookings are only requests if you read the t&c properly. If you are deemed unsuitable for the exit rows you will be moved either at check in or even on board as the cabin crew have to be satisfied that you can help in an emergency situation.

Should exit rows not be assigned at the airport?
If not there is nothing to stop a 98 year old granny from getting them. :eek:
Thats the reason you have to call them , they ask several questions over the phone the make sure you are not a minor , have a disability , are capable of operating the emergency window etc...

I flew from San Francisco last week to Dublin with Aer Lingus. Upgrades were available for an extra $800. There were a lot of empty seats up front.

Exit seats were only allocated on check-in. I had made a call prior to flying and was told just to turn up early for check in.

I did secure an exit seat - I am a Gold Circle member. There seemed to be very few on the flight.

Still no upgrade though unless I parted with the $800.

PS. The upgrade was actually advertised on the overhead monitors at the check in desks.

Last edited:
They must not be that careful. I have found 98 year olds in the emergency rows before, no one cared.

I have called Continental 24hrs before flight a few times and always got an exit seat. Travelling with them again next month so will be at it again. Have been a OnePass member with them for years now (I use them 3-4 times a year) and have'nt been able to get a free upgrade yet.
Best thing that happened me recently was last year , transiting Newark on return from a family holiday in Florida they were overbooked , and because I was holding four seats , were anxious to offload me. It realls suited me to wait 'till the following day so I managed to get put up in an hotel with meals , business class home the following evening and €1000 in vouchers which I used to treat the OH to a shopping trip in NY the following November.

Be aware though that paid upgrades on Aer Lingus are easier to come by on the US to Ireland sectors. Staff in Dublin are unaware or unwilling to upgrade for a fee. Paid upgrades are more common on US airlines so staff are more aware of the process there.

Best thing that happened me recently was last year , transiting Newark on return from a family holiday in Florida they were overbooked , and because I was holding four seats , were anxious to offload me. It realls suited me to wait 'till the following day so I managed to get put up in an hotel with meals , business class home the following evening and €1000 in vouchers which I used to treat the OH to a shopping trip in NY the following November.
Magic!

Most of the above points are captured here:

One point they do make though is to let the airline know if you're making a special trip.

I was Silver card BA last year, and had paid for Premium Economy back from Beijing. We got engaged the day beforehand, and the check in clerk upgraded us to Business, which was very comfortable.

Back