How to get rid of lumpy paint effect on ceiling

B

BG27

Hi,

Anyone know how to smooth over a ceiling that has that old-fashioned paint effect (no idea what it's called) where the paint has been pulled at to create a textured look? Will I need to have it replastered or is there another way?

Thanks!

Hi,

Anyone know how to smooth over a ceiling that has that old-fashioned paint effect (no idea what it's called) where the paint has been pulled at to create a textured look? Will I need to have it replastered or is there another way?

Thanks!

Ah ceiling stippling sometimes decorative sometimes used to hide ugly ceiling cracks in any case replastering is about the best possible fix to this aquired taste in decor.

Good Luck ;)

Do a search for previous relevant threads using the term "stippled" or "stippling".

Be careful tackling this yourself - I've been told it's got asbestos in it or a similar dodgy substance?

We have it all over our house (present from previous owners) it's disgusting.

I had it in my house in Lucan - stippling we called it - it was done because the lazy builders could not be bothered to plaster the ceiling properly, yukky finish. Made the house look ancient even though it was brand new at the time.

Only way out is to have the areas reskimmed properly.

I used a sharp and fairly wide putty knife and scraped it off. Saves money on skimming. However you do leave a few minor scrapes on the ceiling afterwards. If you want perfection then skim. If you want to do it on the cheap scrape it off. Although I aggree with the person who was talking about it containing asbestos, just googeled it. it may contain traces of asbestos skim it:)

Hi there.. we are renovating a house at the moment and had it on all the ceilings. We got the ceilings covered with plasterboard and skimmed. Great job done by our plasterer. for 1300sq foot it cost about 2500, labour and materials. Definitly worth it.. stippled ceilings are awful (in my opinion!)

Skimming/replastering is a very messy job...loads & loads of mess!!

But, if you are doing a renovation job, it's definately worth getting it skimmed.

We had some very "pointy" stippling which used to mean loads of splashing when it was painted....so I got an electric sander & took off the "pointy" bits...much easier to repaint afterwards.

Back