How to get rid of a client?

ButtermilkJa

Has anybody ever had the need to stop working with a client for whatever reason? If so, how did you go about it?

I have one particular client who is really starting to wear down my patience and to be honest I would rather see the back of them.

When you work for yourself you have to be hard nosed.

If you don't like the way someone is treating you, tell them.

Stand up and be counted it's all about respect for yourself.

There are moments where I have to be as blunt as an axe with customers when they are wearing me down.

I always feel better for airing my views.

Don't know what you do, but have you considered increasing your rates for this client, or making yourself unavailable i.e. you have a heavy workload for the next few months, or revoke credit - make the account cash only etc.

You need to be careful that whatever you do doesn't cause the ex-client to bad mouth you etc, so don't give a poor service or ignore communications from the client etc.

Have you considered honesty? Sit down with him/her explain your concerns and see what they say.

Having said all that, I'm assuming that you are happy to lose the revenue given the current economic climate?

Thanks for the replies.

I suppose to be fair I should really just speak out and tell them exactly what's what and give them a chance, but to be honest from day one it's been bad and I really don't have the patience anymore to deal with them. Not when there are more rewarding clients on the books.

The amount of money involved is quite low, no more than €200 per month so I definitely won't starve if I stop working with them.

They left a voicemail for me on Friday afternoon complaining about the last two invoices so I need to respond to that in the morning. I'll say my piece and see how they react.

It's easy. Just ring them up and tell them that you are no longer in a position to offer them a service/product.
If they ask why (which they probably will) tell them that you can no longer afford to support them.
Suggest alternatives to them - let your competition have the stress.

Last time it happened to me, I was up front and honest about it. From the tone of the previous conversations, it would appear that you have either lost confidence in my ability or have quite serious reservations about my ability to perform the tasks allocated. If either is the case then I suggest you might want to look elsewhere.

To my surprise, there was a complete change of attitude, and they are still a client. I think in every client relationship there are times when the client likes to let you know who pays the invoice and pushes to see where the boundaries are. On this occassion he found out exactly where they are and now knows for future reference

It's easy. Just ring them up and tell them that you are no longer in a position to offer them a service/product.
If they ask why (which they probably will) tell them that you can no longer afford to support them.
Suggest alternatives to them - let your competition have the stress.

leghorn I don't agree with you at all on this issue.
It does not make good business sense to get rid of customers whether it be a celtic tiger or a celtic donkey.
Every customer you have is not just the person but also who they tell about your business.
Remember you don't have to like your customers to do business with them.

Mind you €200 a month would not have me begging this customer to come back if they moved to someone else.

Last time it happened to me, I was up front and honest about it. From the tone of the previous conversations, it would appear that you have either lost confidence in my ability or have quite serious reservations about my ability to perform the tasks allocated. If either is the case then I suggest you might want to look elsewhere.

To my surprise, there was a complete change of attitude, and they are still a client. I think in every client relationship there are times when the client likes to let you know who pays the invoice and pushes to see where the boundaries are. On this occassion he found out exactly where it is and now knows for future reference

Had the same thing myself.

Its about them respecting you as a person.

leghorn I don't agree with you at all on this issue.
It does not make good business sense to get rid of customers whether it be a celtic tiger or a celtic donkey.
We found that qualifying our customers made sense for us. Sometimes 'customers' can lose you money.

We found that qualifying our customers made sense for us. Sometimes 'customers' can lose you money.

leghorn not everybody has the luxury of being able to choose who they do business with.

I suspect the main reason the OP is posting is because they can't deal with the stress of this particular customer.

€200 a month is not worth stress but supposing it was €2,000 or €20,000 a month would it be worth the stress?

the answer is NO.

All people in business have to deal with customers and everybody needs to know where they stand.
If someone is getting up your nose they need to be told to respect you.

Agree with Leghorn on this. We had to do a similar exercise on customers who were losing us money and were awkward to deal with. We ended up having to do a "cull" on our customer list a couple of years back and concentrate on a smaller number to allow us give the proper service to genuine customers. There were a quite a few who could be obnoxious, argued over every invoice, and expected replies to their queries immediately, even if they only turned up every six months or so. We then had to get wait months to get paid, and I ended up having to call and call, statements, 7 day letters, etc.

We waited until they "turned up" for something again, and said that due to our current work schedule, we have to concentrate on a core group of customers who have paid retainers and that it would be at least six weeks until anyone would be able to get back to them and that in the meantime, they might be better going elsewhere. Would you believe some of them still waited six weeks and then started tormenting us.

One guy used not to pay one invoice until he wanted something further done. We got wise to the fact that once a cheque came in that he would be on next week for something new and then you might have to wait months again until he wanted something else. I actually told him that we would not be in a position to do any more work for him as collecting the fee was taking up too much time, effort and expense.

We then had to get wait months to get paid, and I ended up having to call and call, statements, 7 day letters, etc.

We waited until they "turned up" for something again, and said that due to our current work schedule, we have to concentrate on a core group of customers who have paid retainers and that it would be at least six weeks until anyone would be able to get back to them and that in the meantime, they might be better going elsewhere.

Would it not have been more honest / ethical to just insist for COD payment in future / payment in advance ?

Is'nt lack of competitition not an awful thing. In todays world, those suppliers who expect "retainers" just to give service / be available to sell future orders are indeed rare. Celtic tiger Ireland how are ye.

Would it not have been more honest / ethical to just insist for COD payment in future / payment in advance ?

Is'nt lack of competitition not an awful thing. In todays world, those suppliers who expect "retainers" just to give service / be available to sell future orders are indeed rare. Celtic tiger Ireland how are ye.

C.O.D. not relevant to our company as we give advice. Not the kind of thing you do C.O.D.

There is nothing ethical about having to constantly chase people for money. Celtic Tiger or no, it also makes good sense to concentrate on the clients who pay bills on time without fuss and give them the service they expect. Every hour I spend debt collecting is an hour I am not working on someone's file charging out time. It is a business we are running after all. When clients start costing you money, it can be time to sever that business relationship.

There is nothing ethical about having to constantly chase people for money. Celtic Tiger or no, it also makes good sense to concentrate on the clients who pay bills on time without fuss and give them the service they expect. Every hour I spend debt collecting is an hour I am not working on someone's file charging out time. It is a business we are running after all. When clients start costing you money, it can be time to server that business relationship.

In mt opinion your spot on. Sometimes you have to cut clients and how you do it is very important.

Some great responses there, cheers. I ended up having a chat about the invoices and explaining my corner and it seemed to go well. I'll wait and see what happens on the next job before making any rash decisions.

A few years ago I asked the top ten messers I had to leave - basically each time they missed an appointment, deadline, was insulting to staff, etc. I asked each to leave. Since then my firm has become away more efficient and I have much happier staff and much happier clients. I find that these messers ruined our efficiency, the flow of the work and caused far too much stress. Rather than hindering our work or sending out a bad message it actually made us look stronger. Also these messers opinions are rarely valued. On a continuous basis we advise clients that if they get into serious arrears, miss appointments, etc they will need to get their accounting services elsewhere.

Several years ago we had a number of unrelated clients in Cork (one in large multinational in particular) what were nothing but problems of their own making. We though that all the toxins from the chemical factories in the area was effecting their intelligence. Since proved right by the looks of things :rolleyes:. They were on the phone every day, taking up over 50-60% of our resources and well under 5% of our income. We upped our prices until they went to our main competitor. Oh the rejoicing we had the day they told us.:D

A few years ago I asked the top ten messers I had to leave - basically each time they missed an appointment, deadline, was insulting to staff, etc. I asked each to leave. Since then my firm has become away more efficient and I have much happier staff and much happier clients.
That is a staffing/human resources issue. The original query here is about dealing with allegedly time wasting or otherwise problematic clients.

simplyjoe is also referring to clients.

True, and clients are also customers at the end of the day. Ask many foreigners how us Irish treat our customers and if you get an honest answer, you will not always be impressed with the answer. It is much better to be honest with your clients / customers than give poor service or ignore communications or charge eratically high prices etc

True, and clients are also customers at the end of the day. Ask many foreigners how us Irish treat our customers and if you get an honest answer, you will not always be impressed with the answer.
What have "foreigners" got to do with this and since when did "they" become the arbiters of what is right and wrong in this context?! :confused:
eratically high prices etc
Eh!?! :confused:

Back