How Mortgage to Rent Works

Hall, Understanding and compassion. These are people would have to be housed anyway, says BB is obsessed with repossession.

Hall says BB doesn't understand. iCare is providing homes, rent drops (?) humane dignified, that all profits must go back into providing housing

BB - has hugh compassion, but has more for 350k mortgage payers, with higher rates, because of those who don't or won't pay.

Hall says AIB made x billion, that's greed. Says that the don't or won't pay are a phantom (of BB's imagination I presume)

Hall won the argument hands down. He also got a few jabs in on BB.

Last edited:
Hall won the argument hands down. He also got a few jabs in on BB.

Hi Bronte

I can't disagree with you.

It's a very complicated argument to make in 6 minutes. So someone who is keeping a widowed grandmother in her home will always come across as nicer than someone who says that we should not tolerate people being in arrears for 12 years.

There is also the point that we have a farcical social housing system which allows people to live on their own in three bed houses in Dublin for €50 a week. That is not the fault of Mortgage to Rent. MTR just exploits the stupidity of the system.

Brendan

Hi Bronte

I can't disagree with you.
He came across much better than you in my opinion Brendan. It was much easier for him as he just had 1 point to keep making : it's cheaper than other options. You can't argue with that.

The real question we should be asking is why is social housing so expensive in this country? There was a mention of HAP being average 26k a year? You can justify anything compared to that.

I agree with elements of your argument Brendan, but if as a society we provide social housing, then the concept of the taxpayer becoming landlord for a person's existing home where they default on their mortgage, and qualify for social housing, isn't such a bad idea. Whether we need AHB's, particularly where the role is undertaken by a commercial entity, is a separate question.

So, questions I would have:
1. Should we provide social housing at all?
2. If we do, should the recipient have any choice of where accomodation is provided?
3. Should the taxpayer buy existing housing stock from banks where mortgages are in default, to provide social housing?
4. Do we need 3rd parties involved in the process?

The real question we should be asking is why is social housing so expensive in this country? There was a mention of HAP being average 26k a year? You can justify anything compared to that.

There are two fundamental problems
1) We tolerate people who don't pay their mortgage for 10 years
2) We allow single people on social welfare to live in three bed houses in Dublin for €50 a week while people who pay their own way either share or commute long distances to work.

In that context, you can justify MTR.

So really we have to dismantle the first two.

Brendan

Back