How has the recession affected you?

That is one of the most stupid posts I have read in a long time and not even worth commenting on.
But you took the time to comment on it anyway so it must have hit a nerve somewhere if not your funny bone!

It's interesting to note that the 2 individuals who agree with you are both public sector workers if I'm not mistaken.

Last August (2009) I lost my job as Production Director of a company employing 120 people. They lost their jobs too. The three people who work for me came with me when I decided to go it on my own albeit in a completely different industry. We got 1 months wages each after 8 -10 years service. It would have been nice to have the opportunity to turn down the sort of package offered to Becky but that's the real world. Although disappointed with what happened to us we faced facts and got on with it. We knew it was on the cards and made plans accordingly. We continue to work (VERY) hard unsociable hours all over the shop and pay our taxes so that the PS can choose to baulk at change and spit their soother out of the pram when faced with the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune.

Last edited:
Ancutza, if you inserted the words "non nationals" instead of Public Service in your posts I feel you would be targetted as one of the greatest racists on this forum. It appears to me (self employed) that you are quite a bitter person and for some reason or other thinks people in the Public Service owe you a debt of gratitude and people in the Private Sector should admire your stance. Well, for the record, I don't.

But you took the time to comment on it anyway so it must have hit a nerve somewhere if not your funny bone!

It's interesting to note that the 2 individuals who agree with you are both public sector workers if I'm not mistaken.

Last August (2009) I lost my job as Production Director of a company employing 120 people. They lost their jobs too. The three people who work for me came with me when I decided to go it on my own albeit in a completely different industry. We got 1 months wages each after 8 -10 years service. It would have been nice to have the opportunity to turn down the sort of package offered to Becky but that's the real world. Although disappointed with what happened to us we faced facts and got on with it. We knew it was on the cards and made plans accordingly. We continue to work (VERY) hard unsociable hours all over the shop and pay our taxes so that the PS can choose to baulk at change and spit their soother out of the pram when faced with the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune.

Wow, my hero...:rolleyes:

Thanks Gianni. PM me your address and I'll send you an autographed cheesey photo of me in my super-hero suit.

Leper I can't go casting the same unfounded aspersions around about non-nationals since my missus and, indeed, my 2 kids are non-nationals. Wouldn't be politic at all at all. Too busy to be bitter. Anyway to be bitter is a waste of nervous energy which could be better employed elsewhere (in grabbing the new paradigm by the short-and-curlies for instance).

Thanks Gianni. PM me your address and I'll send you an autographed cheesey photo of me in my super-hero suit.

Leper I can't go casting the same unfounded aspersions around about non-nationals since my missus and, indeed, my 2 kids are non-nationals. Wouldn't be politic at all at all. Too busy to be bitter. Anyway to be bitter is a waste of nervous energy which could be better employed elsewhere (in grabbing the new paradigm by the short-and-curlies for instance).

" the same unfounded aspersions " ;)

I wish Becky well but who is going to employ a woman at 60?
Not being ageist, but that is the reality with thousands unemployed.

I don't think she is 60. She is talking about redundancy, not retirement.

I'm 40.

I'd get the €80 odd K as a severance package if I go now. At 60, my min retirement age I'd get €12K based on my contributions to a defined benefit scheme.

Sorry for going off topic on this thread.

I'd get the €80 odd K as a severance package if I go now. At 60, my min retirement age I'd get €12K based on my contributions to a defined benefit scheme.

Sorry for going off topic on this thread.
You'll probably get a lot less once the IMF/EU take full control.
I suppose it depends on what wages and kind of job you have at the moment.

I'm 40.

Take it and go to college to do whatever you want :)

The first offer is the best.

If you decline this you might be compulsory redundant in a few years and it may be statutory redundancy. Who knows what may happen in Ireland in the next few years.

Thankfully no jobs losses or pay cuts. The only debt we have is our mortgage and we kept the repayments the same as pre rate cuts so hopefully have knocked a few years off the term. We can afford to live on one salary should it come to it...but we bought with that in mind. We have also focused on reducing our outgoings and concentrated on saving as much as we can ...just in case.

Take it and go to college to do whatever you want :)

The first offer is the best.

If you decline this you might be compulsory redundant in a few years and it may be statutory redundancy. Who knows what may happen in Ireland in the next few years.

It's debatable as to whether or not this offer can be improved on.

It appears however that the Unions will refer same to a third party for arbitration - presumably the LRC.

I've been affected in lots of ways but I've also smartened up - and I thank the recession for that. I cleared all my debt by working hard and pushing every last penny. I saved once that was cleared, not taking my job for granted and continued to work my part-time job, even though I no longer "needed" to. I shopped smartly and reduced my outgoings significantly. I am now being made redundant in the coming weeks and I'm finding it hard to secure interviews despite getting off to a good start.

But I'm thankful that the recession made me look ahead and get prepared. That seems to be more than others have, particularly people my own age. Even though my full-time job is gone soon, I have economised so well that I can still live off my part-time job wage. Sure, I won't be in a position to afford luxuries but I can still stay debt free.

Can i ask re becky, do the ps still get increments? I know there is a payfreeze but wonder if increments are still given?

It's interesting to note that the 2 individuals who agree with you are both public sector workers if I'm not mistaken. .

It's because I'm a public sector working that I know you're talking rubbish about how the majority of us operate.

I’ve taken a 10% pay cut (along with everyone else here) which isn’t too bad but then again I hadn’t got a pay increase in 4 years (so I’m back to 2004 pay levels now) as the external costs inflation from the boom was undermining our international competitiveness and destroying our profitability. On a personal level we live well within our means, my wife’s job is almost recession proof and mine is 100% export focused so I don’t see disaster looming any time soon.

12K is based on my 20 years of service and my current salary. As I'm pre 95 I have at this point no entitlement to a state pension as my employer was to pay me my pension.

If I continue to work until 60, my pension should be €24K, lump sum €110 or so, based on the current rules.

That makes more sense. If it were me, I'd probably stay working and retire at 60

Back