Motor How do insurance co.'s come up with valuation for motor claim?

paulpd

I left the house this morning to go to work and someone had rear-ended my car overnight (hit & run). Guards reckon it's a write-off and so do I and anyone I've shown the photos to do too. Insurance co say I'm covered. The value on the insurance docs is E5k, although Carzone etc have similar makes / years for c.E4k. Excess on policy is E300.

Is there a straightforward valuation method they use or am I relying on being lucky with the assessor? Or is it E5k as per the insurance documents?

Thanks

its NOT the insured value that you receive, but the current market value. If the car can be replaced for €4K and is insured for €5K, then all you will get is the €4K.

You can get your own assessor (at your own expense) and/or you can avail of Arbitration clause under your policy if you want.

... Carzone etc have similar makes / years for c.E4k. Excess on policy is E300. ...
On the web-sites these are asking prices, not valuations, so based on a 10% reduction say €3.5k, less the value of the car to a scrappy, say €1k, less the excess. I'd say expect an offer of €2k to €2.5k in full settlement from your insurers.

On the web-sites these are asking prices, not valuations, so based on a 10% reduction say €3.5k, less the value of the car to a scrappy, say €1k, less the excess. I'd say expect an offer of €2k to €2.5k in full settlement from your insurers.

They just phoned with €4250 so not so bad

Back