How do I claim the new Mortgage Interest Relief?

Whazzuupp

Hi all

Is a mortgage statement enough for revenue to claim the mortgage credit or what is a mortgage intrest certificate

Mortgage statement from end of 2022 along with cert of interest for 2022 and 2023

Hi,
I am in the process of completing my Form 11 return but I cannot find the "Mortgage Interest Tax section" of the tax return.
Can someone send a screenshot to highlight where it appears as I can't see it anywhere?

Note that I did commence work on my Form 11 before Revenue activated this Mortgage interest relief. Would that mean I should delete my current version of the Form 11 return and start again in order to able to see the new Mortgage Interest Tax section?

How to claim if you are self assessed (as in the dreaded Form 11)​

You will shortly be able to claim the credit for 2023 by completing your annual Income Tax Return (Form 11) in ROS. To claim the credit, complete your Income Tax Return and follow these steps:

1. Sign into ROS.
  2. Open the ‘My Services’ screen.
  3. Click on ‘File Return’.
  4. Select ‘Income Tax’ from the dropdown menu.
  5. Select the tax year for which you wish to file a return (select 2023).
  6. Locate the ‘Mortgage Interest Tax Credit’ section of the tax return and enter the information requested.

Note: the entirely unsatisfactory situation here is that this means you would have to advance your settlement for Revenue NOW as opposed to November. This is at odds with the PAYE filer who does not have the payment on account to deal with. Revenue should have allowed this as interim payment without changing the filing date and payment date. Despite being the largest group that actually file a Return (most PAYE do not) this is just laziness.

Yes, I agree but my question is more about where exactly is the Mortgage Interest tax credit section appearing in the Form 11 tax return.
I can’t find it…..
The obvious place for it to appear is in the Personal Tax credits section, but it is not appearing there for me.

1. Locate the ‘Mortgage Interest Tax Credit’ section of the tax return and enter the information requested.
The Revenue only issued this a few days ago - it just may not be there yet. But that's where it is supposed to be.

Its meant to be under "Tax credits and reliefs/you and your family" - The first link gives a clear step by step of where to go.

However I also started my return in Jan and was waiting for this to be updated and it hasn't appeared (was updated 1st Feb apparently)

So I assume I will need to discard this and start again for it to appear. Has anyone else found and used it before I hit reset?

tnx

@50andOut I asssume you are not PAYE.

If you are on ROS you could contact Revenue electronically and they will respond.

The issue with Form 11 is that you are advancing your filing and liability (if any).

yep PAYE and I use my account for completing my annual return to claim medical exp, health care, wfh etc..

How to claim in you are a PAYE taxpayer​

You can claim the credit for 2023 by completing your Income Tax Return in myAccount. To claim the credit and complete your Income Tax Return, please follow these steps:

1. Sign into myAccount.
  2. Click on ‘Review your Tax 2020-2023’ in the ‘PAYE Services’ section.
  3. Request a 'Statement of Liability' for 2023.
  4. Click on ‘Complete your Income Tax Return’.
  5. In the ‘Tax Credits & Reliefs’ page, select ‘You and your family’ and click on ‘Mortgage Interest Tax Credit’.
  6. Work through the claim process.
  7. Submit the Income Tax Return.

Ah gotcha, i didn't cop the relevance in the form nr - I just fill in the online template..

So anyone seen the Mortgage Int relief option on the my account (form 12), or ROS form 11 returns ??

Anyone know if you claim tax relief on the property mortgages if there are two.
So for example tracker mortgage on circa 60k...
Then I've a fixed rate on circa 135k.
In total the loans are 195k on the property.
It's my family home.
The tracker loan is below 80k however but combined the mortgages on the property are over 80k and under 500k. Can combine the balances as they are mortgages for the house which is a qualifying property?

Anyone know if you claim tax relief on the property mortgages if there are two.
So for example tracker mortgage on circa 60k...
Then I've a fixed rate on circa 135k.
In total the loans are 195k on the property.
It's my family home.
The tracker loan is below 80k however but combined the mortgages on the property are over 80k and under 500k. Can combine the balances as they are mortgages for the house which is a qualifying property?
Hi,
Per the Revenue's website, the credit is for taxpayers who have made payments in respect of a qualifying loan for a principal private residence.

Ah gotcha, i didn't cop the relevance in the form nr - I just fill in the online template..

So anyone seen the Mortgage Int relief option on the my account (form 12), or ROS form 11 returns ??

Hi All,

I had started my Form 11 in January and when I went back in to update it today, I noted that the Mortgage Interest Tax credit is now appearing in the Personal Tax Credits section.

As I received my 2023 mortgage interest cert yesterday I submitted my IT return for 2023 today. I had saved some details a while back and the mortgage interest claim section wasn’t available on it so I just deleted my saved form and the new form had the MI add on. A minor inconvenience as I only really have some remote working, health and the MI to claim.

I have checked again today and the option for claiming the mortgage interest credit still isn't appearing where it is supposed to be

Hi
Has anyone received their statements and interest cert from Pepper to claim the mortgage interest relief ? I called at the start of February and was told a few weeks but still no sign of them .

Back