How can a couple in their 20s survive both earning 400 or more a week?

C

Cs23

We are in our early 20s but are finding it very hard both work hard full time jobs. Wages go on 800e rent and bills(petrol, credit card, credit union, car insurance, tax, food, gas, heat..) then left with nothing spare for any luxury things. How to people manage to do it.

What do each of you earn gross?
Are you married?
Are you claiming all relevant tax credits/allowances (Are you paying too much tax? A guide to tax credits)?
What would be an indicative monthly budget breakdown (incomings and outgoings)?
Do you habitually have an outstanding credit card balance on which you pay interest (and maybe make only the minimum repayments)?
Do you have other debts?
Do you have any savings?

400x2x4.3=3400
What is this all about - in particular the 4.3?

Update: oops - I guess you're extrapolating the stated weekly income to a calendar monthly figure?

The original poster doesn't clarify if the €400 p.w. is net or gross.

First priority - get rid of debt.

Make a plan between you and take pleasure in meeting it's goals together - and know that by following it you are getting somewhere.
Take a long-term view.

After that you can think about luxuries. And maybe you should reevaluate what they are - personally I enjoy a good cheese...

Any trips we take are done mid-week with Ryanair - our summer holiday flights this year cost 124 euro for 2 adults and a baby.

400X2X4.3 this gives the monthly take home. Clubman I thought you'd have been quicker thatn that!!!

1. [broken link removed] (see weekly budget, p. 16)
2. MSN Money - Five ways to spend less and grow rich
chefs_stainless-steel-cheese-slicer.jpg

Some of this may be of interest especially the Living Below Your Mean board. It's UK based but a lot of it is relevant here as well.

[broken link removed]

Take home for me and 480 for him.
Hardly a pittance as mentioned above. Sounds like gross income of c. €22K and €29K? Perhaps if you post a more detailed information as I suggested then people might be able to comment further. As it is it's difficult to post anything but the general advice mentioned already.

I take home €2700 a month, thats about €620 a week, single income, 3 kids, we manage! Granted, €515 per month tax free from the government every month, and an additional €500 this month(under 6's payment), so €1015 extra every quarter helps in a big way. Mortgage €900 per month, run 2 cars. I am starting to wonder how we do it now! Budget is the only way I guess.

Back