How are you preparing for gas shortages in the coming months?

There will be no shortages of gas in Ireland. We get a little less than half our gas from the Corrib field and the rest from the UK.
You really think if Germans or the Dutch were freezing to death in their homes we'd continue to use as much gas as we want and not share it with them and the UK would do likewise? If the roles were reversed I believe the Germans/Dutch would cut their consumption, maybe dial down the patio burners, and share some of their gas with us. Again I don't for a second think it will come to pass, but I am certain if it did there would be shortages of gas and electricity here and frankly if there weren't I'd be on the streets asking why we were living it up while other EU citizens were suffering.

No-one knows if there will be shortages in Europe but if there are, there will be EU wide agreements on sharing of the available gas supplies and Ireland will have no choice but to agree to these.

"in the shared areas e.g. staircases, corridors yes, but not inside a persons appartment, they can do whatever they please."

Shared corridors clearly implies an area outside of a persons appartment door, therefore under control of the control of appartment block committe , who after all have to pay the bill for the unkeep and heating of shared appartment blocks. This is in the continent, I'm not talking about Dublin.
Are you really quoting your own post as some kind of evidence?

The German legislation applies to minimum room temperatures within apartments.
As they say, I'm OUT.
That's probably for the best.

There are stories about certain German cities turning off lights on public buildings and tourist sites, and forcing citizens to have cold showers in light of gas shortages that are coming down the tracks.

I know that Ireland has a different gas supply route, but it is likely that we will suffer gas / electricity shortages in the coming months, it would seem. How are you planning to prepare for these events? I am just thinking about my elderly parents and what I can do to prepare them for gas and electricity shortages. I’ve already got them a few torches and candles et cetera but I am sure I could do more.
We don't have gas in my area, I have an oil boiler and I am watching the price to top up, a tank full last me a year. If the electric goes off I cannot run the boiler and the solar panels won't work but we have a very efficient built in enclosed fire, we won't freeze, and a camping stove to cook on

Last edited:
We don't have gas in my area, I have an oil boiler and I am watching the price to top up, a tank full last me a year. If the electric goes off I cannot run the boiler and the solar panels won't work but we have a very efficient built in enclosed fire, we won't freeze, and a camping stove to cook on
FWIW the boiler and circulation pump use a tiny amount of electricity, you’d run it for days from a solar battery or a small generator. Just need to make sure there’s an easy way if plugging the boiler/pump out and into an alternative source in advance!

Our home is heated by gas, as is it water. Our cooker is electric.

If we loose all gas supply, we've a couple of plug in heaters. Not ideal, but they'll warm a room or two.

If we lose electricity and need to cook, it'll be the charcoal BBQ, and dinner by candlelight.

Installing solar is not a realistic option, it's too expensive and we'd be a couple of decades trying to get a return on investment. The grants are foolish, as they've only resulted in prices of solar panels etc rocketing up. It was the same with the bike to work scheme - no one was buying a bike for anything even close to €1,500, before the scheme was launched.

Our home is heated by gas, as is it water. Our cooker is electric.

If we loose all gas supply, we've a couple of plug in heaters. Not ideal, but they'll warm a room or two.

If we lose electricity and need to cook, it'll be the charcoal BBQ, and dinner by candlelight.

Installing solar is not a realistic option, it's too expensive and we'd be a couple of decades trying to get a return on investment. The grants are foolish, as they've only resulted in prices of solar panels etc rocketing up. It was the same with the bike to work scheme - no one was buying a bike for anything even close to €1,500, before the scheme was launched.
By default all solar panels switch off if there's a blackout - can't have uncontrolled electricity seeping back into the lines when workmen are out fixing transponders and fallen poles. If you want solar to cover you in blackout, massive investment in batteries and different system to not shut off

When these issues come up I think to myself "There's a war in Europe between democracy and totalitarian dictatorship which it an existential threat to our entire way of life. I won't have to fight and die, my children won't have to fight and die, we're not going to be shot or blown up and we won't become refugees... but we'll probably be less well off, we'll have to cut back on the shopping and driving and we'll probably be a bit cold a few times next winter... that's it?! Wow, that's great news!"

When these issues come up I think to myself "There's a war in Europe between democracy and totalitarian dictatorship which it an existential threat to our entire way of life. I won't have to fight and die, my children won't have to fight and die, we're not going to be shot or blown up and we won't become refugees... but we'll probably be less well off, we'll have to cut back on the shopping and driving and we'll probably be a bit cold a few times next winter... that's it?! Wow, that's great news!"
I will be just like when we were kids 70 yr ago. No one had Cars, Electric Washing machines, TVs, Central heating, electrical kitchen appliances etc

You really think if Germans or the Dutch were freezing to death in their homes we'd continue to use as much gas as we want and not share it with them and the UK would do likewise? If the roles were reversed I believe the Germans/Dutch would cut their consumption, maybe dial down the patio burners, and share some of their gas with us. Again I don't for a second think it will come to pass, but I am certain if it did there would be shortages of gas and electricity here and frankly if there weren't I'd be on the streets asking why we were living it up while other EU citizens were suffering.
It's Maggie Thatchers fault, she closed all of the coal mines in the UK

Portable gas heater with 11kg canister - as it doesn't depend on electricity being on. I've going through the process of buying a home with storage heating thats only a D2 BER so I might make use of it. There is a gas inset fire that might or might not work (my guess is that its probably not working) so I might consider getting it taken out and replaced with a modern wood burner if I still have any money left. If the gas inset fire works I will probably get a second canister as its on a dual system, well in advance of when prices are expected to skyrocket in 6 months. I would love to do the full retrofit but there's no way I will have the money for at least 2 years.

You'll have gas since it originates mostly from North sea. However the price will be very expensive.

Have you considered a stove or solar panels to reduce your Mar-October use of elec and gas anyone ?
Given the current relationship between the EU and UK, its unpredictable what UK might do, since their energy crisis is every bit as bad as ours & every likelihood Truss, the less able and more populist of the two Tory leadership candidates, gets elected.
Just is case, this is not in peoples houses. Question, how may hot showers have you been provide by the irish state or you local council?. I wager zero, whereas on continent these "benefits" of cheap municipal swimming pools and leisure centres are as common as your local dunnes stores.
When I was TCD my country classmates regularly used the sports facilities changing rooms in then sports hall to save on showers in their accomodation.
Could be wrong on this but aren't there some apartment complexes, moreso on the continent than here, have a central thermostat for the building which can be set lower...
Current - district heating is common on the continent.
Containers of gas are readily available right now, the big one lasts us around 1 year so won't have a problem with that. However, are people ordering heating oil (Kerosene) at the moment for winter heating? It's just over €1300.00 for 1000 litres in our area right now and am wondering if it will go up much in price? It was €1400.00 for the same amount just a month ago.
This is great news to me!
Using a kettle to heat water for dish washing would be more efficient.
Absolutely, yes, rented a flat that had no hot running water for 2 years. It had a power shower and I boiled the kettle when I wanted to wash the dishes or hand wash clothes. My landlord also included ESB in the rent. Didn't put up my rent for 2 years. Then PRTB came into being, declared the flat substandard because of the lack of hot running water, forced the landlord to install this tiny thing under the kitchen sink. So the landlord clawed it back by ceasing my free ESB arrangement and fitted a meter with the rate set to 2x the then ESB rate. There was no comeback at that time, as there was at that time no rules around reselling of electricity to tenants, so after 2 months during which I found myself paying 40 euro a week on electricity, I gave my notice and moved somewhere else.
I’d imagine if the rest of the EU is cut off from gas a significant portion of the North Sea supply would be redirected there, so we’d all end up with a small bit rather than us having no reductions and Germans freezing to death in their homes? I don’t personally think it will come to pass, but if it did I think it would be a mistake to assume we’ll continue to have a sufficient gas supply or consistent electricity given how much is generated with gas. If you’re buying electrical appliances in-case-of-emergency you should be considering either a method to generate your own electricity or how to store some from the periods when the grid amid supplying (eg. an 8kWh battery you might get with a solar panel system).
It might be complicated by the fact that Ireland is connected to a UK interconnector rather than a European one, and political situation in the UK being what it is could see that used as a political lever.
Are we still looking for gas off the coast of Ireland? There must be a bit of gas left next door to the Kinsale Head Gas field?
We stopped doing so. There is a significant find in Barryroe in Cork, but might be hard to get the Greens to sign up to it. There's also significant fields in Porcupine basin off Donegal but its deepwater, and after Rossport, no major producer or services company is going to want to ever, ever touch that side of the country again.

Bought one of those small electrical portable oven with two hobs on top, just in case. We use gas for everything in our house. Also to be on the safe side we bought a small camping stove cooker plus a bottle of gas.

Back