House title deeds storage

Logo

After closing a mortgage the bank has given me two options relating to the title deeds:

1) Forward the deeds to me via registered post or
2) Forward the deeds to a nominated solicitor.

I'm just wondering if it's okay to keep them at home, make a copy for storing in another location and maybe keep a scanned copy? The bank is charging a €35 "Vacate Fee" to release the documents and I could do without an annual charge for storage. Advice appreciated.
Logo

Last edited:
If you are a credit union member check them out as some store deeds free of charge.
In any case they are valuable documents so make a definite arrangement re storage

I know this is an old thread but just wondering what the options are now for storing deeds of House. What about having a soft copy stored in case of fire etc. thanks.,

All deeds I have, I keep at home. Never had a problem yet. The most valuable item I have I also keep at home, but sometimes I take her with me, and visa-versa works too. :) No, I don't have a safe, but i've a steel filing cabinet where I keep everything.

Thank you. I have the same - a steel Filing cabinet that is - not your other valuable item think it will do fine for storing and I will keep A Copy in my laptop also.

This, or paying for external storage even.

The state should really move away from this 19th century system of unique pieces of paper but that's another story.

The state has moved away from it. When a "unique pieces of paper" title (otherwise known as a Registry of Deeds title) is sold, it is compulsory to register the title in the Land Registry.

What many people don't seem to realise is that even if your Registry of Deeds title is not being sold, you can go ahead and have it registered in the Land Registry - making those unique pieces of paper forever redundant.

Of course, apart from the title deeds, there are lots of other property-related documents\records that are useful to keep, and expensive to replace, many of which exist primarily in hard copy form.

There is no single online repository for all of the documents relating to a property. No big surprise there. Many large corporations have tried and failed to crack the same issue in relation to medical records (see for example the failed Microsoft HealthVault venture). An interesting example, incidentally, of a 'natural monopoly' in which state intervention might well be appropriate.

If the problem has not yet been cracked in relation to medical records, it is a safe assumption that it is a long way from being cracked in relation to property.

Could I ask a question with regards the land
The state has moved away from it. When a "unique pieces of paper" title (otherwise known as a Registry of Deeds title) is sold, it is compulsory to register the title in the Land Registry.

What many people don't seem to realise is that even if your Registry of Deeds title is not being sold, you can go ahead and have it registered in the Land Registry - making those unique pieces of paper forever redundant.

Of course, apart from the title deeds, there are lots of other property-related documents\records that are useful to keep, and expensive to replace, many of which exist primarily in hard copy form.

There is no single online repository for all of the documents relating to a property. No big surprise there. Many large corporations have tried and failed to crack the same issue in relation to medical records (see for example the failed Microsoft HealthVault venture). An interesting example, incidentally, of a 'natural monopoly' in which state intervention might well be appropriate.

If the problem has not yet been cracked in relation to medical records, it is a safe assumption that it is a long way from being cracked in relation to property.
Could I ask a question with regards the Land Registry? How does one register a property? Would a solicitor do it? What paperwork would be needed in order to do it?

Could I ask a question with regards the land

Could I ask a question with regards the Land Registry? How does one register a property? Would a solicitor do it? What paperwork would be needed in order to do it?
The first registration of title would be on foot of what is called "Form 1" of the Land Registry forms.
https://www.prai.ie/forms/ This application is filed in the Property Registration Authority with supporting documents.

A solicitor would be needed.

The paperwork needed would, in essence, be a set of "Registry of Deeds" title documents, plus the Form 1 and possibly a few other bits and bobs.

Sometimes a Form 1 first registration application would include elements of a squatters title application (often of the " we have been here for 100 years, but never had any paper title" variety). In such a case, the paperwork would be different.

It is a Land Register not a Property Register - properties may be noted on the maps, but the main aim is to delineate who owns the land, not the property on it

Just updating this thread. Bank of Ireland said tgey can store the deeds for no charge once mortgage is paid off and just to put a note with Will on where they are.

Would you trust a Bank to hold title documents ad infinitum?
Bank of Ireland store hundreds of thousands of documents pertaining to collateral on their loans. They presumably have an archiving system and have protections against flood, theft, and fire.

Probably much less risk than someone storing it in their attic:)

Why not invest in a fire-proof safe or make an application for first registration with the Land Registry to get rid of the problem of storing title deeds.

Back