Home House Policy- can I claim for these items?

MandaC

My handbag was taken in a burglary recently. I had it about a year and it was expensive enough, probably about 150 and also my wallet, cost approx. 170 and is also gone.

I do not have receipts for these as I bought them ages ago. Can I put them in on the house insurance and what should I include to back them up. I was going to leave it, but they are going to be expensive to replace and if I am covered perhaps I should log them.

I am not sure if the same models are even available.

You need to check your policy excess first to see how much you will have to pay out of your own pocket before claiming. This can often be over €150 which would mean it would be pointless to claim.

www.powerinsurances.ie

you could also have a no claims bonus on the policy, which could be affected by the claim.

These items are only going to make up part of the claim. The front door has to be replaced and there were other items taken, so I do need to make a claim. I am just wondering if I cam include these items as well, because I have no receipt.

These items are only going to make up part of the claim. The front door has to be replaced and there were other items taken, so I do need to make a claim. I am just wondering if I cam include these items as well, because I have no receipt.

You can include these items as part of the overall claim.

I take it that you reported the breakin to the Garda if so they should have a report of what was taken which will help to support your claim.

It would help if you could remember where your bought the handbag and the purse if you do so you can contact the shop give them a description of the items and ask for a replacement estimate.

Yes the incident was reported to Gardai at the time. Can remember where I bought the bag and purse allright.....pain in the backside to go and look for estimates, might just leave them off

Usually you only need receipts/proof of value if the items are over a certain amount eg 1K and then you have to specify these individually in your insurance cover. Best check with the insurance company.

I might write them on the insurance form and then see what comes back. We can but try, I suppose.

Put them on the claim form. You will get no thanks from the Insurance Company for leaving them off. Include the bag, the wallet and all other items that were stolen. If you had keys taken, you should be covered for replacement keys and even locks if they had to be changed. In the Insurance Company's eyes you are simply another statistic - nothing more and certainly nothing less.

In the end I got web estimates for all items (some from Web). Had the original receipt for the jewellery.

Claim dealt with very promptly and cheque arrived. Glad I claimed for everything - when I added everything up, it was a considerable amount of money.

Back