Home house more than 100 years old

Gordanus

My parents own a house which dates from approx 1860. They have never had a problem insuring it, until this year. The insurance lapsed for a month, and now the insurance company (Aviva) are refusing to insure it again, on the grounds that the house is more than 100 years old.

Has anyone had this problem? Is this a legitimate reason for refusing to insure it? It's been over 100 years old since before they bought it, and they've never had a problem with it until now. I'd be grateful for any insight, suggestions, etc.
Thanks!

PS I can't find an online tool that would enable us to find out the rebuild costs for a Victorian house - does one exist, does anyone know?

Last edited:
Nope it doesnt. Any online tool is only for modern build houses.

You should still be able to find an insurer to do it. But i would suggest calling a broker. Because any online quote will be based on assumptions, one which is likely to be that the house was built post 1920 or so. Insurers will also want confirmation that the house has been rewired/replumbed recently.

Thanks peteb. Yes, I've looked into this a bit now. Apparently only a very few insurance companies now insure houses over 100 years old. There must be many parts of the capital which have householders pulling their hair out!

Especially if they insist that the house was re-plumbed and re-wired in the previous 15 years..... Is it reasonable to insist on having your house redone every 15 years?

My own house has old wiring but is fine (checked and passed by an electrician). Sadly, when I had an extension built, the electrician put the kitchen and utility room on the same circuit. It took a few times of fuses blowing to find this out, by which time a couple of years had passed. We have to be careful and tot up the kilowattage of appliances especially in winter when the washer and dryer are often on at the same time. So the newness of the wiring isn't necessarily a guarantee of safety or quality. (My house is about 80 years old, so am hoping that the insurance companies don't start targetting us.)

Anyone know why insurance companies have started banning over-100s?

My house is just over a 100 years old (terrace in dublin city centre) and i find it very hard to get quotes each year. All the online tools rule out quoting us because of the age. I am currently insured with RSA (via BOI home) if that helps but we got that insurance when we took the mortgage out.

I think AA also quoted me this year but i did come across the question has it been rewired and replumbed in the last 15 years also.

15 - 20 years is considered a useful reinstatement time for all kinds of service items.

Wiring and plumbing can last for much longer than this, but older properties could have problems with the following items -

- missing tiles or slates
- torn, worn missing or original absent roofing felt
- loose or defective flashings
- leaking gutters, valleys, rooflights and parapets
- cracked render
- ivy growth
- settlement (walls)
- settlement (roof)
- cracked and broken drains
- old pipe fittings (internal - hard to get replacements)
- lead pipework
- copper pipework
- damp ingress
- water ingress
- rodent infestation
- frayed wiring
- poor ventilation
- cracked chimney liners
- inadequate insulation
- defective or inefficient boilers

The range of hazardous risks can encompass the following -

- dry rot
- wet rot
- toxic mould (rare enough here, but still)
- electrocution
- fires
- lethal inhalation of fumes (gas, fumes)
- death through exposure (internal cold temperatures)

Thus there might be a lot of potential reasons for not wishing to cover older properties.
You could contact the Georgian Society (1660-1860) to ask for references for insuring an older property and guidance on upgrading of same - especially if it is listed.
You could enter negotiations with a company to see if you can reduce the premium or obtain a quotation with a report from an architect or chartered surveyor to confirm the condition of the property.

Hope this helps.

ONQ.

Hi ONQ, thanks for that - and thanks to peteb and mro too.

My parents have been living in the same house for the last 40-odd years. During this time they have undertaken the maintenance as required. It was rewired when they moved in, and has been re-pointed, re-roofed, damp-proofed and I can't remember what else during those 40 years. I don't know how much energy they have to enter negotiations in their 80s over something that hasn't been a problem so far. I'm really cross about this! But thanks ONQ, I guess negotiations are inevitable now.

Grrr to all insurance companies!

If the house still has a mortgage then the mortgage providers might be able to get you a quote. Allianz can generally be quite good at quoting for non standard risks. But if you cant get any quotes at all, as the last insurer Aviva may possible be forced to give a quote but could be massive, Hope you get something sorted.

I have a very old propety and it is very difficult to insure. Have had to confirm that it's rewired etc to modern standards. No claims ever made on it. Premium is very high.

Back