Home House insurance query

D

dip01053

Can anybody help, I own a house, live in it too but also rent out two rooms...what kind of insurance do i need...

online seems to offer only 2 options...owner occupied (which says for you and your family members only) or landlord which is way more expensive but as I live in house to its not an investment property so i'm not looking for rental protection or anything just building and contents.

Thanks.

Hi Dip01053,
I am also going through the same thing at the moment but i'm just getting contents insurance as there is a block policy which covers the building insurance.
I live in my apartment and rent out one of the bedrooms.
I found FBD online to be the cheapest and it said the same thing that it can only be yourself/partner/family members living in the house so I rang them up and explained that I have a tenant living in the house with me so the girl I was talking to just said they can't quote for that online but can over the phone.
The price only went up by a few euro and she said it's on my file now that I have a tenant.
Hope this helps :)

You need to take out a policy that allows for paying guests in the house. I know RSA and a lot of the top providers offer this at no extra cost. Ring some of the companies or talk to a broker.

www.powerinsurances.ie

Most likely your current policy will extend to cover. You just need to make your insurers aware of the matter. Some may charge extra for the fact there are paying guests.

Yip, you should let them know as there may be restrictions in cover. they may exclude theft unless by forcible and violent entry, to prevent claims by you arising from theft by one fo the paying guests or their guests.

Good point. Zurich remove your accidental damage cover if you have room renters!

Back