Home House insurance expensive

dodo

Been quoted between E360-E500 for house insurance cover for rebuild of 200K, has anyone got any cheaper of late,

Been quoted between E360-E500 for house insurance cover for rebuild of 200K, has anyone got any cheaper of late,

It might have a lot to do with where you live. My recent premium was€380 (€300k, contents €50k) but we live in Donegal. Insure.ie. Slim

That seems dear alright. Is that for buildings only cover? I'm with RSA thro AA insurance with rebuild at 250 K + contents and premium is around 300. Is there maybe any reason why it's so dear? ie claims etc.

pre1900 house insurance

Hi, I am getting a quote of €1500 for house insurance for a 2700sq foot terraced house. It is victorian so i have estimated the rebuild at €800k and contents at €130 k. I have incerased the policy excess to €500 but still difficult to get companies to quote because of the age of the building. Any ideas?

Hi, I am getting a quote of €1500 for house insurance for a 2700sq foot terraced house. It is victorian so i have estimated the rebuild at €800k and contents at €130 k. I have incerased the policy excess to €500 but still difficult to get companies to quote because of the age of the building. Any ideas?

I'd get a rebuild estimate rather than a guess. 800k seems very high as if the worst happened, it going to be a new rebuild in a victorian style.

Contents also seem high unless there are quite a few antiques.

Zurich were best for my quote. 300k rebuild in kildare with 40k contents + all risks 5k. I deleted accidental damage coverage and increased excess to €1000. Quote was €347. - Never claimed on any insurance in 24 years, so I feel safe enough with the choices which may not suit everyone.

Hey guy's, i'm resurrecting this old post due to the variation i have recently found in house insurance. before I start I am declaring that I am not affilitated with any company but just a mortgage holder in negative equity trying to make ends meat.

House insurance is due for renewal in next few days. Have always been insured with Allianz through the EBS. Got my renewal letter recently which was in excess of 750 euro for rebuild of 310K and contents of 45k with a specified risk of 4.5k (engagement ring). Following telephone call this was reduced to 562 euro.

However, an insurance quote thru Cornmarket.ie (also insured with Allianz and exact same policy and figures) is coming in at 466 euro.

may be of help to somebody else who is struggling and needs home insurance.

jazzy

Has anyone heard of a house insurer that covers less than 100K rebuild?

Word of warning on the cornmarket website, after spending 5 minutes inputting all the data they require they came back with a screen saying they could not offer me a quote!!

I currently have One Direct coming in at €338 for €275K rebuild and €55k contents here in South Dublin. I got them down from €372 which was the original quote, I've been with them the last 2 years. All other quotes are coming in over €100 dearer. Pat Shortt is obviously still working his magic !

Did I hear correctly on the radio the other day that you can only change your Home Insurance when it's up for renewal, that you can't change your Insurer half-way through the year of your policy?

Is this true??

Thanks.

no its not true, however some companies have a minimum refund policy and you should check this out with your provider to ensure that you will be entitled to a refund if you paid annually. If you pay monthly by direct debit you can just cancel policy. If you have a mortgage make sure you get new provider to issue them with a letter of indemnity so they have details of the new policy

I swop about every year - been with FBD, AIB, 123.ie and AA within recent years (to name a few ;))

I get my renewal from my current provider and then make it my mission to beat it :D Sad I know but an enjoyable way to spend an afternoon - being sucked up to by insurance providers.

I would usually then call my current provider to see if they can price match and if they can't/won't then I'm off.

I found AA to be very competitive this year and so am with them.

Rebuild costs?

Can anyone advise me on how to arrive at a rebuild cost? How much per sq ft is it?

Everyone should remember that there is more to household insurance than simply he price. You need to look at the product on offer as none of them are the same.

Some Examples:

Standard Policy Excess
Liberty Insurance is €250
FBD Insurance is €250
Zurich is €250.00
get cover is €250
Axa is €350

Water Damage

Liberty Insurance is €500
FBD is €500
Zurich is €500
Get Cover is €1000