Home House Insurance Cover for Subsidence

roker

Does a normal house insurance cover subsidence and or structural problems?

Subsidence is covered in the standard household but no other structural defects unless caused by storm, flood or fire

Roker - kkelliher may be right about insurance companies covering subsidence but it doesn't mean that they will cover it should you be unfortunate enough to have subsidence. Confused? Well, so you should be as I have found out for myself. My insurance policy clearly states subsidence is covered and I have been with them for 25 years without a single claim. The house is old, built during the 1920-30's. Recently noted cracks on a wall and when the loss adjuster from the insurance came around, he indicated that the the cause of the subsidence was due to poor drainage and is not covered. What constitutes a coverable cause is not always clear and in many — if not all— cases, will require an engineer's report (at no small cost to yourself) to prove or disprove the loss adjuster's initial assessment. Second thing is you may be covered initially but you won't be once you file a claim, whether there is a settlement or not. I am currently in the process of a filing a subsidence claim myself and it is major STRESS. Long, drawn out and very demoralising. Good luck.

Subsidence is NOT covered under all House Insurance policies. Some exclude subsidence in full and to be honest, you should report the damage as burst pipes/leaking drainage pipes rather than subsidence as the excess is lower!

Ravima - you are right. Not all policies cover subsidence. But even where an option exists to take out cover for subsidence, insurance companies, it appears, do not cover all causes of subsidence but surprisingly do not mention upfront which ones they don't. Something of a moveable feast IMHO..

Subsidence

Ravima - you are right. Not all policies cover subsidence. But even where an option exists to take out cover for subsidence, insurance companies, it appears, do not cover all causes of subsidence but surprisingly do not mention upfront which ones they don't. Something of a moveable feast IMHO..

I am a loss assessor and have dealt with a large number of subsidence claims on behalf of the policyholder.

It takes a long time to sort out but I would not accept the position taken by the adjuster without carrying out a complete investigation of the causes of the cracks.

I am surprised that the adjuster did not advise you to get an engineer to investigate the cause of the damage and then report back.

Back