House flooded

trojan

my sisters house recently became flooded because of some problem with the water in the attic. I always thought if the ballcock got stuck then the water would flow out to the outside of the house via the overflow pipe. Just wondering what happened in this case.

Contact a plumber who will check it and tell you. You will prob need his report if your sister is claiming through her house insurance so house can be repaired. Although I believe the insurance company will prob ask that no repairs are done until they assess the damage so do not do a thing until they come by except turn off the water. Annoying I know but that may be the way they work.

Our water tank in the attic rusted through a while back - luckily we noticed water on the floor in the hall and did a rapid investigation! I shudder to think what would have happened if we had not noticed or if we had been away.

I live in a duplex. Apartment above me. Anyway I was away for work and came in to the smell of damp plaster. Water everywhere.

Guy upstairs was away. Bank Holiday weekend and management company had no contact details.

Ended up ringing fire brigade who rang guards and they broke down his door. Turned out his dishwasher had overflowed and leaks down back of my bathroom upstairs to first wooden part which was my hall and kitchen. Deadly expensive to fix. Of course covered by insurance but just a disruption.

I always thought if the ballcock got stuck then the water would flow out to the outside of the house via the overflow pipe.
The overflow pipe can get moved accidentally, causing it to loop upward. If any point in this pipe is higher than the rim of the tank, the pipe is redundant.

Our water tank in the attic rusted through a while back - luckily we noticed water on the floor in the hall and did a rapid investigation! I shudder to think what would have happened if we had not noticed or if we had been away.

Always a good idea to change to plastic tanks.

Back