House building cost per square ft

Lakeview good breakdown there,

Build cost of €400k?

I know builders down this side of the country are offering builders finish, including second fix at €88 per square foot, shows the market slowdown i guess.

The furnishing and decorating after that can cost u as much or as little as you like then

Lakeview, thats an excellent breakdown, thanks!
Im starting a build in south Dublin shortly for 2100sq ft, and your ballpark figures are a great help.
R

Lakeview,

Probably the best breakdown of self build costs on this forum.

Shows exactly where the monies have been spent and where money can be saved if required.

Putting in for planning soon so fingers crossed. Will definately get use from this if we get it!

Last edited:
I am building a 2300 sq ft house in Westmeath with a air to water heating system and a raft foundation. Trying to put together a budget does anyone know how much this will cost???

Hiya 14DaRoad

We got our site insurance with FBD, it was €2,000 for self build liability for 18 months and another €500 for comperhensive property insurance ( fire, lightening , explosion, theft or damage to tools and equipment etc ).
We went with an ICF build system and I would highly reccommend it, not only for the superior insulations values but also for the speed of construction. Hope this is of some help
Hi Pinky123,
Just read in your message that you built using ICF. How did you find the process and even more so are you happy with the finished product?

Lakeview...excellent post. Out of curiousity, how are you finding the cost of running your UFH with gas? Thanks, apple1

316 sq, 2 storey over basement, well spec'd.

Started June 06, moved in August 07. Cost (including landscaping, but bar tarmac and front stone wall) = €142 per sq metre.

Apple 1

€ 376 per month for 2005
based on 4 colder months only (Sep to Dec) just after we moved in so heat was on initially 24/7 to dry out house and to acclimatise timber floor boards before laying down

€ 152 per month for 2006
still high! Not all internal doors were hung until middle of year, loft insulation only added during the year, still optimising heating patterns in the house also

€ 87 per month for 2007
based on 1st Jan to today (LPG tank is 3/4 full currently).
Evacuated solar tubes added for hot water early summer, house fully dry and heating pattern stabilised. Boiler was turned completely of from mid April to 3rd week in October since we had solar for hot water. Don't expect costs to reduce much further than this.

I have just completed poured the finished floor slab for my 2700 sq ft self build including 40' x 25' garage.
My cost per square foot to this point €10.37/sq ft. This includes the following
  • clearence of site and trunking of roadway with 3" rock
  • digging of foundation and pouring of strips
  • building of footings
  • 60 mm of insulation
  • sink pipes
  • 25 mm of insulation
  • Polytherm UFH system (mats, pipes, manifold and fittings)
  • Pouring of finished floor
  • All material and labour costs included in above
Will have it up to wall plate by Christmas so will cost this part as well and I estimate that this will be about €8/sq ft so total cost to wall plate should be about (2700*€18) approx €50K.
By the way all my labour is cash and I have tried where possible to also get as much material for cash. Its all about hagggling with these guys!!!!

I'm buildin in the westmeath area. all local labour as well. Know a fair bit about construction so know exactly what I want and what I need to get and when I need it. I'm not tied down to any particular builder provider usually i try and play one off the other to get the best price

Back to Apple 1 again -

In relation to the running figures I mentioned above for gas LPG boiler with UFH (upstairs & downstairs) it is important to mention that I did install a very high efficiency gas condensing boiler.

Thanks Lakeview. With oil continuing to rocket, its interesting to hear peoples' experience with gas (appear to be in the minority outside large urban areas). Would you say you spent over the odds on insulation? One other question....what make/model was your boiler & how much did it cost? I presume you have a bulk LPG tank? Thanks, apple1

I have just completed poured the finished floor slab for my 2700 sq ft self build including 40' x 25' garage.
My cost per square foot to this point €10.37/sq ft. This includes the following
  • clearence of site and trunking of roadway with 3" rock
  • digging of foundation and pouring of strips
  • building of footings
  • 60 mm of insulation
  • sink pipes
  • 25 mm of insulation
  • Polytherm UFH system (mats, pipes, manifold and fittings)
  • Pouring of finished floor
  • All material and labour costs included in above
Will have it up to wall plate by Christmas so will cost this part as well and I estimate that this will be about €8/sq ft so total cost to wall plate should be about (2700*€18) approx €50K.
By the way all my labour is cash and I have tried where possible to also get as much material for cash. Its all about hagggling with these guys!!!!

Where were the major cost areas to get the above done??

About how much was the clearing of site and trunking of roadway? how much extra was the UFH?? I was hoping to get up to floor slab on a 2000sqft floor area for under 20k, but my site clearance will be minimal and no need for any road and I doubt I'll go for UFH...

Hi,

I'm wondering whether anyone would have figures specific to the Cork city area as I know these prices tend to differ depending on what part of the country you look to build.

I'd be talking about 3000-3500 sq ft with a medium-high spec build.

Thanks.

Back