Hours halved..what are SW entitlements

orwell

Apologies if this has already been asked..

My father works in retail store..Just gotten notice that due to economy his hours are now going to be halved to 20 hours per week spread over 5 days i.e 5 days at 4 hours per day.
Pay is E10 per hour so he will now take home E200 per week..no mortgage and no dependants
If he accepts these conditions, is he entitled to any social welfare assistance??
Thanks in advance for any advice...

I don't think that he'll qualify for Jobseeker's Benefit/Allowance since he will be still working albeit on restricted hours. Perhaps FIS etc. might be relevant?

I'll stand corrected but would he have been better off to work full days for half the week albeit up to the 20 hours (same cost to the company) but he would then not be working for complete days and so entitled to UB for the days not working... This used to be the case I remember my kid brother doing this but many years ago.

Has this been fazed out and now FIS has taken its place to assist people who work but earn less than minimum income threshold?

Perhaps relevant here:
Loss of employment

You must have suffered a substantial loss of employment in any period of six consecutive days in order to be eligible for Jobseeker's Benefit. This means, you must have lost at least one day's employment and as a result of this loss be unemployed for at least 3 days out of 6 days. Your earnings must also have been reduced because of the loss of employment.

I reckon I'd say ditto to nesbitt's info. Your father would probably be better off working full days rather than a full week of 4 hours.

Surely his employer would be willing to compromise in this way thereby allowing your father to sign on for the remaining days?

Thanks for all the replies.. He would be better off working 2 full days and a half day..including sundays but I don't think this is an option. His new letter of contract has his hours down as 4 hours on sunday, 4 on mon tues wed and thurs..
Not much of an incentive to be going out to work for the same amount as Sw would pay, even though my Dad has worked all his life...At least as I've said they are comfortable enough with no dependants and no mortgage with a bit of savings....
Thanks for all advice, its much appreciated

Presumably he can use his half days off to look for better paid full time work?

Certainly that is what he will be doing with his time off, but realisitcly, for a sixty year old man in todays current climate full time work positions will be few and far between.
Again many thanks to all who replied..

Hi, I note you say 'they' in your last post.

If your father has a spouse then he is paid significantly less than the minimum Supplementary Welfare Allowance rate. This means that he should apply to his local Community Welfare Officer for a 'sub to scale' if appropriate whilst waiting on DSFA to process his UB (if sufficient contributions) or UA claim. The CWO will also advise him on other entitlements he may have and provide a good source of information.

I am assuming that your Mum/his spouse is not also employed.

FIS is payable only where there are dependent children under 18.

I would also recommend that your Dad contact the MABS Helpline 1890 283 438 for advice around managing his bills and other commitments. This is an excellent, free and confidential service available to all.

The local CWO can be identified by calling 1800 520 520 or your local health centre.
Hope this helps and good luck to your Dad.
:)

Back