Hotel will not refund

roker

I booked a hotel in the UK in May, they charged the full price of the stay
€580 when I booked a month ago, it was a extra £50 to give me the option to cancel, which we did not take. They will not cancel because of the virus even though we are 76 and told to stay in doors (lesson learned) even then normally hotels take a deposit not the full amount. Little more than a scam. At present I am keeping the booking because
a) if they cancel it's a different ball game
b) they cannot re let my room and obtain a 2nd booking and obtain a double fee

Not sure I agree that it's a scam.

I often face that dilemma. Get a discount for no cancellation. Or pay the insurance premium to be allowed to cancel.

I don't think that there are terms and conditions attached which allow you to cancel under some circumstances.

Brendan

Best Western were refusing to refund. A campaign was mounted on their Facebook page, listing the CEO's email address to make a complaint. They are now allowing refunds.

Penny wise and pound foolish is a good old saying. The OP had an option to pay a small amount in order to give him the right to cancel, they decided not to pay that premium and now they want the cancellation. Happened to me once, didn't happen again. Lesson learned and why should your age have anything to do with this?

why should your age have anything to do with this?
Normally it shouldn't. But at the moment the advice is to stay at home and self-isolate if you are over 70.

OP, I'd say there's a good chance the hotel will be forced to close before May and through May so hang tight and they may cancel. And as you say, you might as well hang on to the booking if they are giving zero refund - kind of short-sighted of them really - you might have accepted 50% refund but they'll likely end up having to give you 100%.

Normally it shouldn't. But at the moment the advice is to stay at home and self-isolate if you are over 70.

OP, I'd say there's a good chance the hotel will be forced to close before May and through May so hang tight and they may cancel. And as you say, you might as well hang on to the booking if they are giving zero refund - kind of short-sighted of them really - you might have accepted 50% refund but they'll likely end up having to give you 100%.

After the lockdown announcement this evening I'd say the hotel will have to close

Hi,
I had a hotel booked in Tenerife from 27 Mar for 7 days. Last week I mailed asking what he process was if our flights got cancelled and we could not get to Tenerife. I didn't get a reply. So today, I sent an anonymous query just through their website asking if the hotel was closed. I quickly got a reply to say that it was. So I have now emailed asking again what the process is for refunds or re-book seeing as they are closed and cannot accommodate us at this time. I feel bad for the hotel and its staff, but it was a lot of money and I cant afford to loose it.
Geri

The lockdown did not mention hotels

The lockdown specifically mentions hotels - "all hotels, hostels, BnB's, campsites and boarding houses" - with the exception of where they are being used as interim abodes or being used by key workers

[broken link removed]

It says within hotels which suggest the hotel remains open

Restaurants and public houses, wine bars or other food and drink establishments including within hotels and members’ clubs.

The hotel has now requested that they cancel my booking with a free cancellation, if I had cancelled earlier it would have been my fault

We are not even getting replys from our hotels.im going with the charge back option on my credit card

I thought you mentioned you had used PayPal?

I paid true PayPal but don't have a PayPal account.BOI saying I should get onto PayPal.
The hotel only takes Payment true PayPal.im sending in all the emails I've sent too hotel too the bank of Ireland credit card services and let them deal with it.

Back