Hotel suggestions for Kilkenny??

el88s

I am bringing my elderly parents away for a 2 day break in Kilkenny or surrounding areas, anyone know of a quietish hotel with good food and a little bit of music in the bar in the evenings mid week?

Re: hotels. suggestions ??

What about the Ormond right in the heart of the city, but as many of the bedrooms are to the back (looking over a nice courtyard) they are quiet. It's very handy for a stroll around the town and shops and they can always go back to the hotel in the afternoon for a rest before the evening meal and activities
I don't think there is music at night but there is some close by.
The last time we were there we were upgraded to a suite which just gave that luxury feel

The Hibernian Hotel is just beside the Ormonde and is probably more suitable for a trip away with elderly parents. The overall vibe is classic and comfortable - the bar is lovely and cosy and would not be too busy during the midweek period. Check out tripadvisor website but from recollection I think the vibe is positive for the Hibernian and I think there is music there - if not you will find a bit of music very nearby. You could take a five minute walk to Kilkenny Castle from there, five minutes to main street shops/coffee shops etc. and a stone's throw to any number of restaurants. Depends what you are looking for but both Zuni (just around the corner from the hotel) and Cafe Sol (up the side street opposite the town hall) are great lunch (and dinner) spots. The latter better if you fancy nice salad or sandwiches for lunch. Both do pretty decent early bird meals or do some other lovely restaurants in KK such as Lautrecs (French Bistro 10 minutes walk).

Re: hotels. suggestions ??

What about the Ormond right in the heart of the city, but as many of the bedrooms are to the back (looking over a nice courtyard) they are quiet. It's very handy for a stroll around the town and shops and they can always go back to the hotel in the afternoon for a rest before the evening meal and activities
I don't think there is music at night but there is some close by.
The last time we were there we were upgraded to a suite which just gave that luxury feel

The Ormand is lovey, stil quite new...just off the main roads, so not to loud or anything.
It is quite low on amenities though...it only has a small wine bar...which was empty when i visited.

Great City though...hope you have fun.

Back