Home Office Insurance

ButtermilkJa

I've recently gone self-employed and am looking to change my contents only apartment insurance to include any equipment I purchase for business use (ie. laptop, software, printer, etc).

Hibernian have just told me that they don't do this so I was wondering if anyone has any experience of companies that will take on this policy?

Thanks.

(I thought I posted a similar question a few months back but the search facility is not working for me so apologies in advance if anyone comes across the post in a search)

According to Hibernian, they do offer this form of insurance but it is a separate policy.

[broken link removed]

I'd be interested to hear how you get on!

Bear in mind that there may be other implications of working from home - e.g. possible CGT implications if you attempt to write off some as business expenses, your mortgage lender may need to know of any change of/dual use of the property, planning permission could be required in some cases, many privately managed properties have rules against operating businesses from the home etc.

You mean this one? I found it by navigating through your profile to your past posts.
Ah, good man, I knew there was something there somewhere. Never thought of that approach :eek:

According to Hibernian, they do offer this form of insurance but it is a separate policy.

[broken link removed]

I'd be interested to hear how you get on!
Yes, I found that page on their site also. What the girl told me was that it is a buildings and contents policy only. As far as she was concerned there was no way to accomodate my needs. I told her I would shop around to try and find what I needed and she just said "That's no problem sir, thank you". Apparantly the fact that I have 3 policies with them means nothing?

Bear in mind that there may be other implications of working from home - e.g. possible CGT implications if you attempt to write off some as business expenses, your mortgage lender may need to know of any change of/dual use of the property, planning permission could be required in some cases, many privately managed properties have rules against operating businesses from the home etc.
I see where you're coming from. I'd imagine that this would not apply in my case but I will get some professional advice on this as I don't want to be caught out on anything at a later date.

My situation is slightly different as in I am a "homeworker". That is to say I am employed to work in the office some days and from home other days. My home-office equipment remains my own and does not belong to my company so I have simply extended my personal office equipment cover under my home insurance policy.

Do you mind me asking who you are insured with, and whether or not your policy is contents only or includes buildings. The reason I ask is that my situation is really the same. I am self-employed so my equipment, which is basically a laptop and software, is my own. In fact I don't need my policy extended in terms of amount of cover, as my extra equipment would easily fit under the existing amount. I just need them 'listed' so if I do have a break-in they can't turn around and say, 'Well it was used for business use so we're not paying out for that under a home policy'.

But you see I'm not self-employed, I am employed by my company who pay me a PAYE wage. Self-employment implys running your own business and that is where the confusion arises.

Ah, ok, I see what you mean. Sorry, I was thinking it was similar in so far as we both own the equipment ourselves, and it's therefore our responsibility to insure it.

I guess I'll have a shop around and see what's suits best.

Thanks for the replies!

Back