Home Home Insurance With Criminal Conviction????

gers1980

Hi,

Im looking for advice for my brother, he has purchased a house and is finding it hard to get insurance because of a criminal conviction he got 3 years ago.

Can anybody tell me if they know of any home insurance companies that will insure someone with a conviction, of course he doesn't mind paying extra.

Thanks

I've just filled a form out online for house insurance and dont see anywhere this kind of information was requested. I'm not sure he needs to disclose this. Surely drink drivers would also have the same problem.

it will depend on conviction and will not be possible to do online. he will need to contact an insurer or broker by phone or call in.l

nature of conviction will decide.

If arson, unlikely to get fire cover!

tell him to go to an insurance broker - one of the larger ones - who will plead his case. Insurance companies won't think twice about turning down an individual but they won't want to lose broker business.

A criminal conviction suggests a poor moral hazard which must be disclosed to underwriters. Underwriters will determine whether the conviction warrants them not providing cover in a particular instance. It is very understandable that if somebody has a conviction for fraud/arson/theft etc that they would constitute a poor moral hazard and insurers wouldnt touch them. If the OP's brother has already been refused cover, then the chances are, other insurers will probably take the same view.

Back