Home Home Insurance renewal with Quinn - Should I cancel?

suzyann

Hi

Our home insurance is due up for renewal at the end of this month. We are currently with Quinn and have never had a house insurance claim - We recieved our renewal quote from Quinn and have checked with a few other insurance companies and Quinn appears to be the cheapest quote for the level / policy insurance that we require. I am worried though remaining with Quinn due to the recent problems that the company is experiencing - Should I change to a new insurance company?

Thanks

I have just renewed my home and car insurance with Quinn.

I don't think there is any chance of them going bust. The worst that may happen is that they get bought over, in which case all policies will still be valid.

Hi Suzy

I agree. The company appears to be solvent although it does not have enough reserves. Apparently there are a few people interested in buying it.

Brendan

Our home insurance, which is due for renewal shortly, was with Quinn Direct for the past yr. We had planned to change to an alternative insurer but all quotes exceeded Quinn's renewal quote significantly. Since the original posts here, the Quinn group has posted poor trading figures that may suggest their problems run deeper than holding insufficient reserves. My question is - what happens to my home insurance if Quinn ceases to trade? I'm concerned because I dont want any uncertainties with home insurance
Thanks

If Quinn was to cease trading (this is highly unlikely and point of note a number of the other insurance companies have also recently posted significant lossess but are not in the media) your policy is covered by a bonded levy which is paid on your premium every renewal.

I got my renewal from AA insurance it has gone from 351euro to 471 euro I have lived in this house for 25 yrs and never made any claim. These people are greedy and utterly aloof as to what is happening in this economy.

Insurance premiums across the board (all companies) are rising due to the number of claims last winter. given the way the winter weather has gone I would see them rising well into the future

Hi KK. Insurance is a risk business and the companys who take our money must be prepared to take the risks. Do you think that these companies have been making losses over the years {i dont think so}. What they are doing is hiking up the insurance costs for everybody so that all the individuals who take out insurance pay for the costs of others who make necessary claims. I find my premium went up by 120 euro if all companies are doing that can you imagine how many millions are being taken in so that the companies can make massive profits for share holders.

What they are doing is hiking up the insurance costs for everybody so that all the individuals

This is actually how the insurance market works. We all pay into a common pool out of which claims are paid. Insurance Companies are in the business to make money risk or no risk so if the pool is shedding money they will look to top it up.

right or wrong this is how the system operates

Has anyone managed to amend the sums insured on line with Quinn, which they say you can do? I can see all the details, sums insured etc but I don't see any "change" or "edit" details button. :confused:

Has anyone managed to amend the sums insured on line with Quinn, which they say you can do? I can see all the details, sums insured etc but I don't see any "change" or "edit" details button. :confused:

You do this at renewal as the premium you have already paid is for the sum insured.

I check car/house insurance each year - shop on price with the exception of quinn. I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole. Why? You will know all about it if you ever have to deal with them in a claims situation.

I check car/house insurance each year - shop on price with the exception of quinn. I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole. Why? You will know all about it if you ever have to deal with them in a claims situation.

If you wouldnt touch them with a barge pole how would you have any idea what their claims situation is like?

I deal in claims and could say the same about pretty much all companies in different situations. Sometimes its good others its bad but in general they are all very similar

You do this at renewal as the premium you have already paid is for the sum insured.

Well I have received my renewal notice and want to change the buildings cover but when I log in I can't see how to change the numbers. I'll ring them.

I dealt with Quinn, on my mother's behalf, for a car insurance claim. No problem whatsoever in dealing with them. The whole process was effortless and mostly sorted out directly between Quinn and the garage doing the repairs, which they allowed me to choose because their recommended garage was too far away from where my mother lives.

If you wouldnt touch them with a barge pole how would you have any idea what their claims situation is like?
A combination of the experiences of others and a third party claim with Quinn being the insurer for the third party.
I deal in claims and could say the same about pretty much all companies in different situations. Sometimes its good others its bad but in general they are all very similar
true that. However, some of the tactics employed by Quinn take the biscuit.

A combination of the experiences of others and a third party claim with Quinn being the insurer for the third party.
true that. However, some of the tactics employed by Quinn take the biscuit.

Experiences of others = this counts for very little in a factual sence, all companies good and bad have good and bad customer experiences. Everyone gives out about the experience with the likes of Ryanair yet they are one of our biggest and best companies and we all use them.

Third Party Claim = Try and get a third party claim out of any insurer and you might have the same experience. Insurers look after themselves and their own insured but outside of that it is hard work to get them to pay out.

Quinn Tactics = again refer to my previous point.

Quinn Insurance are known to have one of the quickest claim maangement processess in the industry. Some of the other companies can take weeks and months to sort out a claim as the outsource the process.

All of the companies have good and bad experiences and you have to take the claim on its mertis.

I dont see how one can pinpoint a company in the manner you have done when you have no direct experience of them as a customer.

Demoivre, I asked that myself, apparently the household policies cannot be changed online at the minute, only the car insurance, apparently they plan to update that next.

Back