Home Home Insurance Refusal

NewRoss

Dear AAM forum,
I am currently shopping around for house insurance. my situation is I'm living in a town with a flooding history, though now rectified thanks to millions in investment for Flood Barriers. I'm residing in this property for the past 12 years with no history of any claim. I am situated on a hill approx 1 mile from the river with no risk of flooding.

Today I have been refused cover on a blanket refusal to cover my town. is this common? I'm baffled... now I have to say that 'I have been refused insurance' when looking for more quotes which will probably drive the premium even higher!!!

Did your existing company refuse renewal cover? You might have an issue getting any quotes if so, as there's no onus on any insurer to quote you. We deal with a company that will quote flood area's but they exclude flood & subsidence cover. I would try and get flood cover first before resorting to that cover.

www.powerinsurances.ie

Hi NewRoss -
Did they refuse to quote?
That is different I think than a refusal to insure- I asked the same Q of an insurance company last year. There had been flooding in my estate (burst pipes) due to the bad weather in 2010 and they decided not to quote in my estate.

it is different to your situation as we are nowhere near water of any kind.
I asked did I need to declare this in the future when asked "have you been refused insurance in the past" & they told me no, that a refusal to quote is not the same as a refusal to insure.

No it wasn't a refusal by the original insurer only when I rang other companies for a quote. Thanks for the info about 'having been refused insurance in the past'
The outcome was, I renewed with my original company.
Thanks for your replies.

Back