'Holywell', Kilcoole, Co Wicklow (New Development)

Pixied

Hi

Hope someone can help? We are looking to purchase a house near to the sea and this development looks attractive from the outside.

Few quick questions:

1.Has anyone heard anything about this development? ie quality of build,delivery on completion times/agreements etc..There seems to be a good few house left.
2. Are there good schools, primary and secondary here?
3. Any crime problems around the train car park next to the beach entrance at the train station? We saw some dodgy looking characters driving around there when we went to view and were concerned.
4.Any other info about Kilcoole in general as a place for 'outsiders' to move to- my workplace are trying to disuade me from there but I want to find out for myself.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers!! :)

went to have a look at the showhouses about 6 months ago - can`t fault the building, but no idea about completion times, etc.
Plenty of schools nearby - a primary within walking distance with a new primary school earmarked for charlesland, 2 miles away - also a new shopping centre and marina planned.
WRT to kilcoole itself, it is fairly run down, but having said that extensive work is underway to refurb, plus greystones on your doorstep.
Many estates around the area have some unsold houses due to current conditions.
Beware of the train times - there is no dart from kilcoole, only trains coming from Rosslare - quite infrequent. Dart from greystones to city takes about 50 minutes. Have not heard about vandalism in kilcoole station, but greystones park and ride has been hit a few times.
All in all, not a bad place to live, and if the village itself is given a bit of a facelift, so much the better...

Thanks Dave! Much appreciated.

The main reservations we have at the moment are:

1. Safety.
When we went to view the showhouse in November we drove down to Kilcoole station, which is also the access point to the sea walk. In the car park there were 2 1990's cars, each with 4 sets of lads hanging out of them circling around messing.

When they had left my husband went up to view the beach area while I looked after the baby. When he came back I then went to view the beach area and in short had a strange man follow me onto the beach/stoney area and stand a foot behind me while I was looking around. He seemed to be waiting to see if I would go down the track. I couldn't return straight back to the car as a train was coming. When the train was gone I went back to the car park to find my husband coming to see if I was alright because he had thought the man looked suspicious. (long story sorry).

Anyway in short- There wouldn't be much point buying in Holywell, if it wasn't safe to go walking there. If anyone does walk there regularally I'd be keen to hear if this was just an unusual day down there.

2. Upgrading of Village
I heard the village was due an upgrade a couple of years ago by the council but this still hasn't materialised. Does anyone know if this is actually going to happen?

3. There are a number of houses for sale here for the 18 months and have still not sold. I know there is a general downward/slow trend in the market but this seems to be quite bad and I'm wondering is this because this area is seen as a bad investment?

4.Any gaelscoile nearby?

Thanks again- and all comments/info welcomed!

My brother in law & family live in Kilcoole (about 1/4 mile from Holywell) and they love it. Prices are close to what you would pay in Greystones Village & you're only 2 mins from there or Delgany by car. Initally we looked at Kilcoole a few years ago when househunting but it was out of our price range.

Holywell houses are lovely (I had a little snoop there during the summer as a friend was buying). She actually was living in a Kingscroft house in Bray & wanted to stick with the same builder. The finishes were lovely and I saw today in the Times that prices have been reduced.

As far as I know, the nearest Gaelscoil is Scoil Chulainn in Bray, about 10 mins drive

I grew up near Kilcoole and my Mum lives there now. I think that day you experienced on the beach was a one-off - I always go for walks on that beach when visiting my Mum - she would also walk there regularly as do many people. It is not often entirely deserted.

Like lots of places I would not say there are no "disaffected youth" around but certainly I would not call the area rough at all.

Hi

I am also very interested in this development. I'm heading back out there tomorrow to have another look. I was wondering if anyone knew how long the commute was by car to City Centre weekdays (to be in town for 9am!)

Much appreciated

D

If you are travelling by car to town at Peak times it could take you anything from 1.5 to two hours when the schools are on, its best to leave before 7am in mornings, traffic is much lighter on school holidays, but its much better to take public transport. My advice to anybody moving down and working in city is to think about changing job if possible and getting one nearer to where you live.

Thanks a mill for all the info!
Espeiceally that on the decreases in prices!! The way things are going I reckon the developer may go down again before the year is out, but thats just my opinion.

I'm glad Kilcoole is generally safer then my experience that day.

Does any one have any info on the redevelopment of the village?

Also when I speak to people at work from Wicklow town and Greystones, they are quick to talk down Kilcoole. They say Kilcoole is very clanish..and some other not very complimentary things about people living there.

Is this just local snobbery? I haven't heard anything bad anywhere else.

Thanks again!

I have lived in greystones wicklow town and kilcoole within the last 30 years and its what you make of it, I have made very good friends in all those areas and i came from Dublin, These areas have grown so much in the last 10 years that the mix of people is so diverse you have no worries,

Cheers for that Glynner-it's good to hear!

Is there any other estates besides Holywell that anyone would recommend?

Cheers for that Glynner-it's good to hear!

Is there any other estates besides Holywell that anyone would recommend?
Prices in charlelsand in greystones have dropped a lot, as has eden wood/gate in delgany, churchfields, and rossmore in newtownmountkennedy.
Depends what your price range is really..

Hey Pixied

We went out to Holywell again this weekend. I really love it! Seriously considering putting a deposit down soon.

Have you thought anymore about it???

Dee

I've been in Kilcoole now for the past 10 years and I must say you couldnt ask for a better place to bring up children. I too was told to expect a clannish attitude, however I'm still waiting to see evidence of that after all my time here. Holywell is nice , although a little too close to the sea road for my liking. Other areas such as Beachdale, meadowbrook / woodstock etc are all nice too. I dont know what happened you on the beach, but I've never seen or heard of anything like that. By the way forget about driving to Dublin for work, it just aint worth the hassle!

Hey Andydub

May i ask why it is a little too close to Sea Road for your liking? I dont know the area very well at all. Any advive would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Dee

well its quite a busy road at times and some of the houses have their gardens facing it, not ideal for kids.

Hi Dee

I went out over the weekend too. Overall I was very impressed too. Only thing I didn't like was the layout of the kitchens and the seperate dining area. But hey I could get over it..lol.

We are holding back from putting a deposit down for two reasons:
1. My husband has just been told he may possibly be transfered later this year and we are not sure where to.
2. I also believe that although the developers would have definitely sold houses this weekend, my gut says they may reduce the price again before the year is out. Considering my husbands possible job move I have to wait things out anyway.

They are lovely houses, in a lovely sea location.

Best of luck if you do go ahead.

Hi Dee,

I have lived in Kilcoole for nearly 30 years. It generally is a very nice area. The Sea road area is probably the best. I have never experienced or heard of anything bad down at the beach. Holywell is by far the nicest development in the town.

The recent price drop was only in relation to the big 4 bed houses but there is an extremely strong demand for 3 beds (hence the price has increased for 3 beds). Kingscroft was the best selling development last summer even when the market was slowing. Kingscroft have permission for a further 100 odd houses adjoining Holywell which mainly consist of 3 beds. These houses will be built on the link road to the school. Other than this site, there are not many other developments coming on stream in Kilcoole or Greystones so i believe demand will pick up in the summer as house completions reduce.

The Council have purchased land for a link road to the N11 on the Newtown road and the main street will be re surfaced soon. The dart in greystones is fine to park in as long as you dont leave the car there overnight. I drive about 3 times a week to the city centre, leaving at 7 and arriving around 8.

Overall i would say Holywell is a great development, will hold its value better than Charlesland and is in a nice location. Good luck with your decision

Hi Dave

I agree Kilcoole seems like a lovely place.

Just a couple of things..

I went to view all showhouses and the 3 beds have reduced in price too. it is not just the 4 beds.

I do not believe demand will pick-up in Holywell/Kilcoole as completions finish, if that was the case why where the prices reduced? There is a surplus of houses (new and old) for sale in Kilcoole in general. A good few, I have noticed are for sale for 18 months. This is the general market at the moment all over.

Finally, I agree, Holywell is a nice looking development. Good luck to anyone moving there!

Dee,

It was avertised that the next release of 3 beds will increase prices by 5k in the Irish Times property. There is not much demand for the 4 beds and they still have another 15 to release there so i expect the prices of them will come down even further.

I would not be worried about the amount of 2nd houses for sale in Kilcoole. It is proportionate to the amount for sale in Greystones etc. Some of the houses are over priced anyhow. There are not many new houses coming on stream in Kilcoole this year other than Holywell so i believe the demand will pick up later in the year especially if interest rates come down.

Any thoughts on this area/development read that the builders have reduced the prices by around 75,000 euro is this true, put a deposit on a 4 bed this last weekend'

Was down there this weekend and nearly all the houses have sold out, we ended up putting a deposit on the 4 bed showhome, the 1400sqft and the sister in law on the larger 4 bed showhome (wipe your feet if your back looking) we have been renting in kilcoole for the past 6 months and love the area especially the proximity to the sea/coast.

As far as I know of the houses released there are only about 3 left, they are 4 beds with east facing gardens

Last edited by a moderator:
Back