Holiday entitlement

deco87

I'm trying to establish my holiday entitlement - for a part time ( bus driving ) school calendar year - job

I sign on for job seekers , for summer time - Xmas , in order to get an A credit -

Someone said 8 percent of hours worked ?
I get paid bank holidays - that's standard enough - do I include those hours also to try establish my holiday entitlement

Thank you

Part-time employees

Generally, annual leave for part-time workers is calculated using Method 3 above. This means you can get 8% of your hours worked.

If you work full time for some months and part-time for the rest of the year, you should calculate the leave for the full-time and the part-time periods of work separately.

Thanks , the only thing I wonder then is , for example yesterday , being a Monday - Bank Holiday- which is paid , would you count those hours , even though you are off , towards the total hours to - work out the 8 % entitlement-

8% of hours worked using the average hourly rate for the previous 13 weeks. So being paid for non worked bank holidays will bring up your hourly holiday rate slightly.

Ok thank you , I work 25 hours each week as a school bus driver - so , when you say , - being paid for non worked bank holidays - I am just about to add up all the hours I worked since I returned on Mon 29 august-

On a week which is normally (5 hrs x 5 day)
If the Monday of that week was a paid non worked bank holiday- do I include or leave out , (for holiday entitlement purposes ) the 5 hours for that Monday ?

Ok thank you , I work 25 hours each week as a school bus driver - so , when you say , - being paid for non worked bank holidays - I am just about to add up all the hours I worked since I returned on Mon 29 august-

On a week which is normally (5 hrs x 5 day)
If the Monday of that week was a paid non worked bank holiday- do I include or leave out , (for holiday entitlement purposes ) the 5 hours for that Monday ?
I include.

5 X 52 is 260 days. 260 days X 8% is 20.8 days which is almost the statutory minimum annual leave of 20 days per annum.

It's 8% of hours worked.
So a bank holiday is only included if you have worked it.

There are 250 working days in 2022 (excluding weekends and public holidays)
8% of 250 is 20 - the statutory entitlement for someone working a 5 day week

It's 8% of hours worked.
So a bank holiday is only included if you have worked it.

There are 250 working days in 2022 (excluding weekends and public holidays)
8% of 250 is 20 - the statutory entitlement for someone working a 5 day week
I stand corrected. So extra bank holidays result in less holidays for part time workers!

That said I calculate holidays for part timers based on their full time comparable employees.

I stand corrected. So extra bank holidays result in less holidays for part time workers!

That said I calculate holidays for part timers based on their full time comparable employees.
They still have bank holiday entitlement separately to their holidays - same as full time staff.

I don't know the exact format, but what I do is that once they work min 40 hours in the previous 5 weeks, they get a pro-rata additional pay. So a staff member working Tues, Wed + Thurs will get 3/5ths of a day additional pay that week. Similarly a part-time staff working average 15 hours a week in the previous 5 weeks would get 3 hours extra pay.

We had a workplace inspection and they were happy with that format - they did check payslips to be sure it was implemented!!

I'm trying to establish my holiday entitlement - for a part time ( bus driving ) school calendar year - job

I sign on for job seekers , for summer time - Xmas , in order to get an A credit -

Someone said 8 percent of hours worked ?
I get paid bank holidays - that's standard enough - do I include those hours also to try establish my holiday entitlement

Thank you
The answer to your query is yes, but only if you are actually working on the bank holiday itself. You are entitled to 8% holiday of the bank holiday hours worked as part of your statutory holiday entitlement.

It makes it easy to calculate. Add up all hours you have worked no matter what day it was and multiply by 8%.

If you are paid your bank holiday entitlement but don't actually work on the bank holiday, then as there are no hours, they are not included in any holiday calculation

The answer to your query is yes, but only if you are actually working on the bank holiday itself. You are entitled to 8% holiday of the bank holiday hours worked as part of your statutory holiday entitlement.

It makes it easy to calculate. Add up all hours you have worked no matter what day it was and multiply by 8%.

If you are paid your bank holiday entitlement but don't actually work on the bank holiday, then as there are no hours, they are not included in any holiday calculation
Aha this seems to be it so , I get paid bank holidays - but them don't work them , as the schools are closed on bank holidays - so i do not add those hours for the purpose of Calculating my holiday entitlement- many thanks , it is a bit confusing!!!

They still have bank holiday entitlement separately to their holidays - same as full time staff.

I don't know the exact format, but what I do is that once they work min 40 hours in the previous 5 weeks, they get a pro-rata additional pay. So a staff member working Tues, Wed + Thurs will get 3/5ths of a day additional pay that week. Similarly a part-time staff working average 15 hours a week in the previous 5 weeks would get 3 hours extra pay.

We had a workplace inspection and they were happy with that format - they did check payslips to be sure it was implemented!!
I think I'll leave this !!! Seems a lot to be bringing to the pay section - but it is good indeed to know , thank you

The legislation provides for three methods of calculation of leave. Employees are entitled to the amount of leave arising from the most generous method. The 8% method is the one mostly applied for part time employees but it isn’t necessarily the most generous in all such cases.

Payment for bank holidays is just one of a number of options available to employers. They would also have the option to give annual leave instead. While the legislation doesn’t address the matter specifically, this probably means that a paid bank holiday isn’t reckonable for the purpose of calculating leave entitlement.

Back