Highest safe interest option on 330k

D

Dumblonde

I expect to have a lump sum, roughly 330k, that I intend to place on deposit for a relatively short period of time, perhaps a 12-18 months. I don't want to lock it away for that time as I may well require all or part of it to purchase a house. In the meantime I would of course like to earn as much interest as possible. I have seen the suggestions about Investec (have not done my homework yet re: government guarantee on Investec) and other savings institutions. My instinct is to break the money into about 3 blocks so that it is not all sitting in one institution. I know the government guarantee is there, but...... I have also seen some recommendations for short term government bonds purchased through an Irish domiciled company on a rolling basis and quite like that idea.

Given the time frame that I expect to have this money 'available' and the fact that I don't want it locked up for than a couple of months at a time are there any other suggestions out there that I am missing? Any further ideas anybody?

Thanks.

You should really talk to a financial advisor in any financial institution or an independant one. You really want to know you are doing the right thing with your money. You are under no obligation to go with them in the institutions and they will give you some things to think about. They can advise you on gov. bonds etc. Some institutions put your money away for a few months e.g a fixed term deposit a/c, but dont charge you if you break the term, you can always have access to the funds, it will just affect the interest but you'd still be earning some just on the amount that is left. The F.A could explain how this works. Good Luck.

Back