Help to buy scheme eligibility

Usernamejohn

My wife and I built a new home (self build) starting toward the end of 2017 and we got it to a stage where we could llive in from the start iof 2019. We did this without a mortgage. Neither of us ever bought a house before nor have we ever had a mortgage.

We have not yet got the certificate of compliance but this should be easy enough to get as our Ber Assessor says we just need some solar PV panels.

However we now want to finish the house off inside and outside and we will need to get a mortgage (ie some rooms are just at plastered stage). I wonder in this situation would we qualify for the help to buy scheme for self builds. We could be looking for a €200,000 mortgage.

On the Revenue Website, it says that a self build could qualify for the enhanced help to buy scheme of 10% of the mortgage if we make the first draw down of the mortgage in the case of a self-build property before the end of 2021.. This suggests if we got a 200,000 mortgage we could be eligible for a €20,000 help to buy scheme? Is this correct?

I also own a old far house that I was gifted from my mother that my mother still lives in and I pay the local property tax on. The rules seem to sugest that this does not affect eligibility.

Back