Help! Need to recover company files deleted in error

Lightmyfire

My last day at work. Doing a tidy up to delete personal documents and realise I have deleted a folder of company documents in error. I can't see anything in the recycle bin ... but there must be a way to recover these files???? Is there?

My last day at work. Doing a tidy up to delete personal documents and realise I have deleted a folder of company documents in error. I can't see anything in the recycle bin ... but there must be a way to recover these files???? Is there?

Check with your IT dept - they should be on a backup somewhere.

They were on the network drive ... I don't really want to make it public ... and we don't really have an IT Department. A back-up is done every night though.

They were on the network drive ... I don't really want to make it public ... and we don't really have an IT Department. A back-up is done every night though.

It will have to be the whoever does the IT then... no way to recover them as a normal user...

Yes if its on a network drive then it just gets deleted straight away. It happens all the time. At least there is a back-up of it. Thats the main thing. Just explain to who ever that you were trying to delete old files to save space.

Assuming the backup covers the files, that the backups are running successfully, that they have a proper tape rotation system or similar, that they can successfully restore etc etc etc...you'd be surprised how many organisatons never test their backup retrieval until a situation like this, then find they either have nothing to restore, or can't restore what they do have.

Depending on your network configuration you may have an option under Windows Explorer, Folders pane (left side), click on the network drive and then right click the parent folder of the folder you deleted (if any). You may have a "salvage" option.

Assuming the backup covers the files, that the backups are running successfully, that they have a proper tape rotation system or similar, that they can successfully restore etc etc etc...you'd be surprised how many organisatons never test their backup retrieval until a situation like this, then find they either have nothing to restore, or can't restore what they do have.

Ah... the number of places to think they have backup... It is all good fun then a JCB goes through high tension cables on the road and sends enough juice into the building to fuse everything. They could not even get the HDs out of a couple of the PCs in that case. They had fused to the drive cages. BTW the office in question was used by a bank with full clean APU protected supply for the PCs, but did not realise that some circuits were not wired into it.

If your server has 'Shadow copies' enabled, try right clicking on the network folder or drive, selecting 'properties' and 'Previous Versions'...

If you put them in the recycle bin and clicked on 'empty' they will still be on the Hard Drive.

[broken link removed] is great for brousing a hardrive and restoring data. I assume you will need to install it on the main network pc where the files are and will require appropriate permissions to do so.

That is if you did it this way.

Whatever you do don't go moving files around the hardrive! This will overwrite the 'physical data' of the files and they will be lost.

If you put them in the recycle bin and clicked on 'empty' they will still be on the Hard Drive.

[broken link removed] is great for brousing a hardrive and restoring data. I assume you will need to install it on the main network pc where the files are and will require appropriate permissions to do so.

That is if you did it this way.

Whatever you do don't go moving files around the hardrive! This will overwrite the 'physical data' of the files and they will be lost.

None of that applies to files on a network drive

Back