Help/advice needed on farmhouse transfer in LPT system (from father to son)

JMG

My dad was a farmer. Several years ago he transferred ownership of his farm and his house to my brother, who now manages the farm - the house is on the farm, a farmhouse. All of this was done through a solicitor and I understand this is very common for transferring ownership of a working farm from one generation to the next.
My dad had the right to live in the farmhouse as long as he lived, and he continued to pay the property tax on the house under his PPS - the tax is pretty small, under €100.

My dad died over a year ago, but on the LPT website the farmhouse is still listed against his PPS number. My brother wants to pay the property tax for the farmhouse and do so against his own PPS number. He has asked me to help him with this as he is not really very comfortable with the whole online world.

The reason I'm here is to ask for help and advice on how best to do this. What I can see on the LPT website is that there is a Transfer Property option and it seems obvious that this is what I should use. However I'm not sure if any of the options (Sale, Gift, Inheritance) are correct in this scenario, so I am not sure which to choose.
Also, how accurate does the date of transfer need to be? My brother may remember the year this was done, but I doubt he knows the date and is not good at keeping records.

Just in case it matters, my brother is not living in the farmhouse, he lives in his own house nearby.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice offered.

Back