Heat pump for older homes

Clonback

I see there are air source heat pumps which combine heat pump with a gas boiler module.They claim the heat pump will provide over 90% of the heat with the boiler module providing the rest.This would suit my property as there would be no need to dig up/insulate floors and less disruption. Any feedback greatly appreciated

I'm not particular familiar with any specific systems on the market but high temperature heating systems (oil & gas fired) have been mimicking low temperature systems (heat pump) for decades and therefore it should be no issue to combine them once the logic/control system is properly thought through.
However the best approach, in my opinion, is to where feasible reduce the need for the heat in the first place by finding & addressing the low hanging heat loss fruit.

I'm not particular familiar with any specific systems on the market but high temperature heating systems (oil & gas fired) have been mimicking low temperature systems (heat pump) for decades and therefore it should be no issue to combine them once the logic/control system is properly thought through.
However the best approach, in my opinion, is to where feasible reduce the need for the heat in the first place by finding & addressing the low hanging heat loss fruit.
RVR Energy Technology in Kenmare provide a product called Magis Combo which appears to suit older homes.

I would like to see more detail on their claim that the heatpump will supply 90% of the heating to a typical house.
I don't really see the point of the extra expense and use of resources.
So why not just have a good gas boiler and forget about the heat pump?
Is that system not akin to having 2 cars sitting in the drive; an EV for the short journeys and a diesel car for the longer journeys when the diesel car would cover both journey types?

I have arranged for site visit by RVR technology and will revert with outcome.

It would appear that their system is more akin to a hybrid car than having 2 cars but let me get the facts.
Will you enquire on the detail behind their claim that more than 90% of the heating required comes from the hp.

That's a great analogy with the hybrid car. My (limited) understanding of hybrid cars is that they are very efficient if you do small mileage daily, say 50 to 60 km's but are not efficient at all when higher daily mileage is normally needed. So, if you need to do a lot of km's (aka have a high heat loss house in this analogy) then a hybrid might not be the best choice!

The problems with a hybrid car are that you get the advantages and disadvantages of batteries and combustion engine. The disadvantages are that you still need the expensive oil changes and servicing of the combustion engine and the weight and eventual cost of replacing the battery. Also the extra cost of purchase and the complicated electronics and components which control the two drive systems.
Having a gas boiler and heat pump arrangement with electronics to combine their operation will result in a very expensive system which will need boiler servicing and separate heat pump servicing. When a fault develops on the system you may need the services of a boiler service engineer, a heat pump engineer and an expert on the electronic controls.

Agree with many of the thoughts here @bstop, i looked at hybrid v fully
electric cars last year, and concluded after a lot of reading and test drives, pricing, overall annual running costs, and driving experience etc, EV was the way to go.
Took the EV plunge, and have never looked back.

Similarly, i have been looking into heat pumps + replacing a 27 year old double glazed windows in recent months. We also currently have a 27 year old gas boiler.

Have had a few quotes, and late last year i was saying NO to a heat pump, as it did not seem to make financial sense, the heat pumps were in the 10 to 12k price bracket alone, this included replacements for a quarter of our existing radiators, as not all are suitable to work with heat pumps. So with the excessive cost, even after grants, i diverted course, onto looking at a new efficient condenser boiler and a full window/door replacement.

However the recently revised, and much increased grants, have changed all that, so i need to look over it all again.

What i did learn along the way about Heat Pumps, is they will only work efficiently, if your house is well insulated, as others have mentioned, get the low hanging fruit sorted out first, so that means getting attic insulation & walls pumped - we already have those two done, recently, any open chimneys ? we boxed that off with a stove replacing fireplace, and has already made a noticeable difference. Next, is windows & doors, which contribute significantly to heat loss. One of the window/door quotes has triple glazing with a uv value of 1, or double glazing with a little higher u value 1.4, I am leaning towards triple glazed as my understanding is, the lower u values will make the heat pump work more efficiently, and its also an opportunity to get better external noise reduction, with triple glazed. Apparently there is some solar gain loss, with triple glazed, as they apparently leave less sun heat into the house, i’m fine with that, as house can often, be too hot in summer months, as it is.

Also, i learned that heat pumps heat a house very slowly, so typically, are most efficient, when left run continuously, they will increase temperature as required, to a chosen temperture setting, then come on/off, to keep it at that temperture.
Water can be heated, independantly.

Do some reading up on it, there is a lot to take in, and its new’ish and different tech, and involves changing, how one does things. The more you research, the more you will understand it better, and be in a position to make a more informative choice, and minimise any “surprises”!

Agree entirely, inespecially with heating and energy on an upward price trajectory. We did a heatpump on new build In 2020 and it's fantastic.on comfort and price. Looking at solar next.

I put in Swiss made, AMK Solac solar tubes in 2010, they were of the more expensive tubes around, when i queried it, i was told the yield is amongst the highest on the market. Very impressive performance, and has been heating at least 80 % of our hot water ever since. After 12 years, i’l probably be taking them down, its possible to get them to work alongside a heat pump, but it looks too complex, and would have to get an upgraded tank with a solar coil, so will likely be loosing it.

I havent really looked into PV’s yet, so leave us know how you get on with that.

I'm hearing lots of horror stories of heat pumps costing loads to run due to the unsuitability of them for the houses they're installed in.
Agree with many of the thoughts here @bstop, i looked at hybrid v fully
electric cars last year, and concluded after a lot of reading and test drives, pricing, overall annual running costs, and driving experience etc, EV was the way to go.
Took the EV plunge, and have never looked back.

Similarly, i have been looking into heat pumps + replacing a 27 year old double glazed windows in recent months. We also currently have a 27 year old gas boiler.

Have had a few quotes, and late last year i was saying NO to a heat pump, as it did not seem to make financial sense, the heat pumps were in the 10 to 12k price bracket alone, this included replacements for a quarter of our existing radiators, as not all are suitable to work with heat pumps. So with the excessive cost, even after grants, i diverted course, onto looking at a new efficient condenser boiler and a full window/door replacement.

However the recently revised, and much increased grants, have changed all that, so i need to look over it all again.

What i did learn along the way about Heat Pumps, is they will only work efficiently, if your house is well insulated, as others have mentioned, get the low hanging fruit sorted out first, so that means getting attic insulation & walls pumped - we already have those two done, recently, any open chimneys ? we boxed that off with a stove replacing fireplace, and has already made a noticeable difference. Next, is windows & doors, which contribute significantly to heat loss. One of the window/door quotes has triple glazing with a uv value of 1, or double glazing with a little higher u value 1.4, I am leaning towards triple glazed as my understanding is, the lower u values will make the heat pump work more efficiently, and its also an opportunity to get better external noise reduction, with triple glazed. Apparently there is some solar gain loss, with triple glazed, as they apparently leave less sun heat into the house, i’m fine with that, as house can often, be too hot in summer months, as it is.

Also, i learned that heat pumps heat a house very slowly, so typically, are most efficient, when left run continuously, they will increase temperature as required, to a chosen temperture setting, then come on/off, to keep it at that temperture.
Water can be heated, independantly.

Do some reading up on it, there is a lot to take in, and its new’ish and different tech, and involves changing, how one does things. The more you research, the more you will understand it better, and be in a position to make a more informative choice, and minimise any “surprises”!
I think air tightness is number one in relation to heat loss, not insulation. The harder a heat pump has to work to maintain the required temperature the less economical it will be to run it. I've heard horror stories of heat pumps and how much they cost to run, usually due to not being right in the first place. My understanding is that it would take a lot of investment to make a heat pump work in an older house, where you have air leakage thru floors, doors, walls, ceilings etc. This is from reading anecdotal posts online as opposed to any great personal knowledge, education or experience.

Interesting. So, assuming attic is fully insulated to current standard, external walls are pumped, low 1 u value triple glazed windows and doors installed, what else is there, to improve air tightness in an older house ?

Maybe an airtightness survey would tell you that? I'm not sure something being insulated necessarily means something being airtight. But maybe airtight was part of the detailing for your insulation. Certainly sounds like your windows and doors wont be an issue!

Interesting. So, assuming attic is fully insulated to current standard, external walls are pumped, low 1 u value triple glazed windows and doors installed, what else is there, to improve air tightness in an older house ?
Tbh, until the house is tested you won't know but generally doors and windows can very often be the least of the issue. The main culprits are quite often the elemental junctions (for instance the junction between the floor and the wall) and cable / pipe penetrations of floor, roofs, walls including internal floors and walls.
This can be very difficult to "get" until you experience the test for yourself and see / feel what is going on. The level of air leakage can also vary quite a bit between different house types / eras and also depending on what "improvements" have been done over time.
Adding / upgrading insulation in walls and attics rarely make any meaningful difference to a house with high air leakage because insulation addresses conductive heat loss whereas air tightening addresses convective losses (aka draughts).
Relying on a heat pump to supply the heat at the required rate to match the losses in a building with high air leakage is very risky in the absense of addressing the primary heat loss mechanisms first.

Tbh, until the house is tested you won't know but generally doors and windows can very often be the least of the issue. The main culprits are quite often the elemental junctions (for instance the junction between the floor and the wall) and cable / pipe penetrations of floor, roofs, walls including internal floors and walls.
This can be very difficult to "get" until you experience the test for yourself and see / feel what is going on. The level of air leakage can also vary quite a bit between different house types / eras and also depending on what "improvements" have been done over time.
Adding / upgrading insulation in walls and attics rarely make any meaningful difference to a house with high air leakage because insulation addresses conductive heat loss whereas air tightening addresses convective losses (aka draughts).
Relying on a heat pump to supply the heat at the required rate to match the losses in a building with high air leakage is very risky in the absense of addressing the primary heat loss mechanisms first.
Makes perfect sense.Do many people do an air leakage test?Should it be done before and after?

Would making the house airtight cause problems with condensation and black mold

Would making the house airtight cause problems with condensation and black mold
It absolutely can/will if not taken into account with an appropriate ventilation strategy or system. Air tightness needs to be balanced with ventilation otherwise issues will quickly arise and they can be severe.
When you consider that a typical family of 5 typically produce between 12 and 18 litres of water in the home per 24 hour period through normal activities of breathing, cooking, washing etc. This moisture is generally contained in the air and this "wet" air needs to be exchanged with "dry" external to maintain a dry house internally. When the house leaks a lot of air, i.e. is very draughty, this "wet" internal air is easily exchanged with the dry outside air. When the house is air tightened, appropriate ventilation will do this work when designed and used correctly.

It absolutely can/will if not taken into account with an appropriate ventilation strategy or system. Air tightness needs to be balanced with ventilation otherwise issues will quickly arise and they can be severe.
When you consider that a typical family of 5 typically produce between 12 and 18 litres of water in the home per 24 hour period through normal activities of breathing, cooking, washing etc. This moisture is generally contained in the air and this "wet" air needs to be exchanged with "dry" external to maintain a dry house internally. When the house leaks a lot of air, i.e. is very draughty, this "wet" internal air is easily exchanged with the dry outside air. When the house is air tightened, appropriate ventilation will do this work when designed and used correctly.
If you are venterlating the house, you must have air in to replace it which will be cold air, so there is no such thing as a sealed house
The only alternative that I can think of is an extractor system that has a heat exchanger to heat the incoming air from the extracted air, this would control the house at positive pressure to prevent damp air entering the house

After bringing our 1950s home up to A3 standard with a gas combi boiler, our annual gas bill is now in the region of €500 (110m2 terraced house).
It seems like madness to me to go and spend €10k-€12k on a heat pump to try and save a percentage of that €500 per annum. The payback period will be something like 20 years?

Back