Heat pump clothes dryer or not

Mamamia22

Hi I’m just wondering about the latest models of clothes dryers. My old Zanussi has just packed in. I’m wondering if the heat pump ones are better than their old counterparts. Dry clothes slower but are reportedly more energy efficient. I liked my old dryer in that it was fast and would dry a load of clothes in around an hour. I’m just wondering what other peoples experiences of these newer dryers are? I hear they are more difficult to fix in the event of a problem which concerns me also. Any recommendations for a clothes dryer would be appreciated. Need a 9 kg one.

Have heat pump Dryer for 2 years now. i don’t think it is any slower than the previous condensing one (which was about 13 years old)
mind, I spend a bit more money to get a model w high energy efficiency rating. (Samsung DV90T….., 9kg unit)
have no issues w the dryer so no idea how easy to fix. Came with a Full 5 year warranty, and 10 year warranty for the motor. quiet, and much less heating up of the utility (which is very small in my case, and also hosts the gas boiler and water cylinder)
Comes w WiFi which provides an energy monitor and some other stuff, if you care about these things.

edit: plumbed the dryer into waste water (same as washing machine), so no emptying of the water reservoir. this is my favourite feature!

edit: this one https://www.harveynorman.ie/home-ap...ump-tumble-dryer-dv90t5240an-s1-graphite.html

I have ordered a heat pump one 9kg. Hope it’s not too slow. I dislike the job of hanging out clothes on the clothes line. Towels are too hard. Fiddling with clothes pegs etc. Can’t wait for new one to arrive. Didn’t bother with Wi-Fi as I don’t turn it on much.

Wouldn’t have the room for one. Plus all that humidity would lead to damp and mould. With lots of kids clothes the dryer is my favourite appliance. No need for ironing. Clothes nice and soft etc. Straight from washing machine into dryer and take out and back in wardrobe. I use a clothes horse on holiday outside and it’s fine but you need to iron the clothes after to have them look right.

We has a Bosch & Siemens HP dryer and they were rubbish because the ‘automatic’ dampness sensor was very inaccurate- small items were dry but big ones still damp.

We changed it for LG heat pump which is brilliant, uses very little power and doesn’t cause any dampness or heat in the utility room

You'd be amazed how much time you'll get back in your life by not doing this.

Have never had a prob with damp or mould; but I do have the advantage of a south facing, & therefore warm & sunny utility.
Clothes horse and dehumidifier is a good combination.
+1 on the no ironing. :)

OP we went for a Beko higher end heat pump dryer. It's an amazing machine. It uses a lot less energy than the regular dryers and it's very kind to clothes. I try to dry clothes outside and finish them off in the dryer. You will notice a huge difference in how well it operates compared to the older machine. Good luck!

I replaced my ~20 year old vented one with a Bosch 6 Series heat pump model, it's definitely slowed and takes a bit of playing with the settings to get it to really dry stuff. I probably should have stuck with vented as we really only use it when we need stuff dried quickly, and that so rarely that the efficiency benefits of the heat pump model weren't worth the additional cost.

Had a tenant with a heat pump dryer and the amount of mould that appeared was unbelievable. It was not vented but condensor heat pump. It was on for hours.
I got a EcoAir desiccant dehumidifier and have the clothes on the clothes horses and they dry in half the time and the cost is low. Don’t use the dryer any more just put the clothes in one room And close the door.

I bought a Candy 8kg from Powercity last November. Its not hugely expensive to run but its good for when its too wet to dry on a clothes horse or outdoors. I think it was around 500 euro after delivery. They don't have it now but I think Currys still have it or a variant here for 420 euro. There's several models but basically they are just a condenser drier with heat pump refrigerant so the heating and cooling in the loop is more efficient. I'm quite happy with it - I only ever dry the clothes just enough to iron or hang. I'm not seeing any big bump in electricity costs or damp. The ONLY hitch I find is that model is a bit loud. I had previously used the dryer in a washer drier in my last rental before I bought so I wanted something that actually worked. This was pretty good and I see you can get models now for even less than I paid.

Clothes horse and dehumidifier is a good combination.
+1 on the no ironing. :)
Plus one on the dehumidifier is not expensive to run either. Have it on when you run in to grab the clothes horse in between showers.

My last monthly ESB bill was €109.34 from the 28.06. to 29.07 and I had it on a lot for two weeks with the weather, had guests in the house for two weeks so laundry was increased from 2 people to 5.

Plus one on the dehumidifier is not expensive to run either. Have it on when you run in to grab the clothes horse in between showers.

My last monthly ESB bill was €109.34 from the 28.06. to 29.07 and I had it on a lot for two weeks with the weather, had guests in the house for two weeks so laundry was increased from 2 people to 5.
Dehumidifiers are very cheap to run, regardless of whether you are using for this or other purposes - saves your home from damp related issues also

Back