Health Insurance Health Insurance - VHI Health Access Plan too expensive

onlyonpaper

My insurance is up for renewal on August 1. We have been with VHI for over 40 years and currently on Health Access plan. Quotation for coming year is 3934 euro for 2 people. My wife is very reluctant to leave VHI which restricts movement. Can someone please advise a cheaper plan to above with broadly the same benefits.

Hi again (from last year :) )

I think it would be best if you read over your posts here from last year regarding this plan. Both Riomhaire and Starrynights gave very good advice regarding it.

Just a few of my own personal views on the plan:

1. It is very expensive but as mentioned in the previous thread you are probably paying the extra money because you appear to be covered practically 100% for orthopaedic and ophthalmic whereas some of the cheaper plans only allow 80% cover.

2. The cover for private room in private hospitals has a lot of extra charges per night such as following (taken from HIA website):

Full cover in the Beacon Hospital with an excess of €100 per claim (semi-private accommodation) or with an excess of €50 per night (private accommodation); Full cover in the Mater Private and the Blackrock Clinic with an excess of €100 per claim and €200 per night (semi-private and private accommodation).

3. You could speak to www.totalhealthcover.ie but there is a fee as shown on their website.

4. I do have a preference myself for VHI and you will see from the previous thread that it has been mentioned on AAM in the past about poor customer service with Laya. Your other option is Irish Life.

5. Even though your plan is very expensive (probably relates back to the old Plan B days with VHI) the day-to-day cover on your plan is very poor.

6. You should do a comparison on the www.hia.ie website.

7. Read carefully through Starrynights post on the previous thread and it explains things quite clearly with regard to the other plans that you mentioned last year and your own one. You may have done that last year and decided after all that you wanted to keep it.

8. Give VHI a call and get them to go through your cover with you and see if they have introduced anything in the past year that would give you the same cover for less money.

9. You might get some advice from this podcast on health insurance by Dermot Goode.

Hope this helps.

S.E.

Back