Health Insurance Health insurance or Health cash plan?

jan

Hi am a adult mid 30's looking for health insurance or a health cash plan.

I have some small medical issue's which means that I have to go to the doctor from time to time and also see consultants as an outpatient.
I also have an old back injury which I think might be giving me difficulty (might need a mri/scans's, dexa in the near future and on the public list I think I could be waiting a long time).

I have had insurance in the past - but not in the last 6 years.

I had a look at the HIA website and my head is spinning... its a vast market.

I read somewhere that one could go with a good health cash plan and a basic health insurance plan (should one ever need to go to hospital).

So, from those of you who are familiar with the plans, what would you recommend for someone such as myself, who might need a good plan for someone with a lot of outpatient needs?

Or is there a company who I could contact who can give impartial advice?

thanks in advance

You need to be aware of Lifetime Community Rating.
See http://www.healthinsurancewise.ie/faqs-lifetime-community-rating/

With the introduction of Lifetime Community Rating (LCR) you need to enter the health insurance market before the age of 35 to avoid loadings. If you take out private health insurance earlier in life, and retain it, you will pay lower premiums compared to someone who joins when they are older (over 35). The introduction of Lifetime Community Rating (LCR) will see customers over the age of 34 pay an extra 2% loading per year in addition to their health insurance premium.

A cash plan does not count as health insurance for the purposes of LCR. If you have previously had health insurance you will receive credit for this under LCR. Also if you stopped health insurance due to unemployment, this also counts as a credit.

So if you think in future you will ever need health insurance, then given your age, you should sign up now under at least the most basic plan you can afford, to avoid the LCR loadings.

You will likely be subject to waiting periods for your existing condition. Again, if you think that in the medium to long term you may need treatment for it, you should sign up now to start serving out your waiting period. In the short term I'm not sure if you will be able to avail of much cover for your condition.

There are a bewildering about of plans out there, Laya have a good selection tool on their site where you can enter the level of cover you want and they will list their matching plans. The level of excess you are willing to carry on the policy e.g. pay €100 or €250 or €500 per hospital visit will have a significant impact on price.

I'm afraid I don't know too much about cash plans but given the above, a basic health plan and cash plan might make sense for you (on the assumption that insurer will make you serve waiting period).

I think there's a few other theads here about good basic plans, I'm on Laya simplicity through an employer scheme and think that's a good value plan but is a step up from basic. Keep an eye on HIA.ie for plans on discounted prices right now.

Hope that is helpful.

hey thanks a million for that but I am over 35 so I guess I missed that boat. Yes I have been looking at Laya - I think they are a good company - reputable. Glo health have a cash plan where you get 100% refund for all scans - inc MRI's - thats inviting (if I were to just go for a cash plan). Oh its so hard to know - lets say I ignore the LCR for now = and I just think about insurance or a cash plan,,, but then if I think about the fact that, what if I did need hospital care... and had to pay 75e/day.. say for 10 days.. that the price of an insurance plan for a year.. so on that score I should go for an all round insurance plan. Its so hard to know

The 2% LCR loading is cumulative... every year over 35 counts as an extra 2% so the boat hasn't quite left the harbour yet.

The 2% LCR loading is cumulative... every year over 35 counts as an extra 2% so the boat hasn't quite left the harbour yet.
ok thanks for that - i am looking into Laya..

A question about health cash plans.. say I went with glo health, and I need an MRI for which they have a plan which refunds 100%.. can I get an mri privately but in a public hospital? But would I be under a consultant? I do not think how these things work?

Stumped on your MRi question I'm afraid... I would have thought to go privately you would need to go through a consultant (and pay for that), them pay for the MRi scan yourself which would likely need to be in a private facility. But I've no direct experience with cash plans.

i got onto cornmarket and they recommended Aviva be fit 1 plan = there is a discount of 10% on it at the moment..
it is a good plan - does not cover dentist's though..

any thoughts?

Hi jan,

Be Fit 1 is a good plan with Aviva worth considering.
If you're looking for an alternative option to compare 'Laya Control 300 Create' is a similar type of plan, price 935pa, including dental cover.
Comparison as follows;
[broken link removed]

Note this plan will increase in price to 1039pa from 1 March 2016.

Snowyb

wow thanks a million for that snowy...

hmm Corn Market did not suggest that one at all - the only Laya one they suggested based on my vague requirements was laya advantage 500 - but to get laya thru CM you have €50 extra. But the aviva plan is 10% off at the mo with CM o its €950. He was really selling that one to me tbh. Do you think the CM are impartial or not?? He seemed dismissive of other plans. He said the laya 500 one which is €889 would be a better choice if the aviva plan did not have the discount - that makes me suspicious.. I mean the excess is v big.
What do ye think? Not sure about Aviva. I will have to look at the specs in more details and call the individual co's as I am not sure what all the benefits mean on the specs.
But now I am suspicious about CM as they did not suggest the laya control 30o - and it could defo be an option.
PS I live in Cork so far as hospitals go. I think I would go with the one with better out patient cover...
thanks again
more sound advice v welcome

The Laya Advantage 500 Choice (price 889) would have a restricted private hospital list - the Bons Secours Cork would not be covered.
Also, this plan has reduced cover in the hi-tech hospitals, all Dublin based, Beacon, Blackrock Clinic and Mater Private Dublin.
This may not be an issue for you but the other 2 plans would have better hospital cover overall.
[broken link removed]

Good outpatient cover would be a priority for you, no waiting times apply for this part of the plan.
While any new illnesses will be covered after the first 6 months, there will be a 5 year wait for your pre-existing back condition for admission
to hospital for treatment or surgery.
Just to note, with Laya Healthcare there is a 3% charge if you pay monthly or by installments, no charge applies if you pay in full for the year ahead.
Make sure to clarify what the overall price will be with either company in relation to 'Lifetime Community Rating' - if any extra loading applies
for every year over 35 years, while allowing credit for any previous cover if applicable.

Snowyb

Last edited:
The Laya Advantage 500 Choice (price 889) would have a restricted private hospital list - the Bons Secours Cork would not be covered.
Also, this plan has reduced cover in the hi-tech hospitals, all Dublin based, Beacon, Blackrock Clinic and Mater Private Dublin.
This may not be an issue for you but the other 2 plans would have better hospital cover overall.
[broken link removed]

Good outpatient cover would be a priority for you, no waiting times apply for this part of the plan.
While any new illnesses will be covered after the first 6 months, there will be a 5 year wait for your pre-existing back condition for admission
to hospital for treatment or surgery.
Just to note, with Laya Healthcare there is a 3% charge if you pay monthly or by installments, no charge applies if you pay in full for the year ahead.
Make sure to clarify what the overall price will be with either company in relation to 'Lifetime Community Rating' - if any extra loading applies
for every year over 35 years, while allowing credit for any previous cover if applicable.

Snowyb

thanks again for the reply. In your reply, and in the highlighted about, what plan are you talking about here? The Laya 300/Aviva?
Thanks for that about Laya - I am gonna give them a call tomorrow - and Aviva.. and go through the plans properly.. and hopefully cover all necessary questions..
In any event the Laya 500 is not a runner..

For what is is worth
21/02/2016
https://www.layahealthcare.ie
Your Insurance is provided by Elips Insurance Limited trading as Laya Healthcare. Laya Healthcare Limited, trading as Laya Healthcare, is regulated by the Central Bank of Ireland. Laya Healthcare Limited acts as an agent for healthcare products for Elips Insurance Limited and is a private company limited by shares registered in Ireland, No 242048. The registered office of Laya Healthcare Limited is Eastgate Road, Eastgate Business Park, Little Island, Co. Cork, T45 E181. Your Life Insurance is provided by IptiQ Life SA. Laya Healthcare Limited trading as Laya Life is regulated by the Central Bank of Ireland. Travel insurance provided by ACE insurance group limited.

30/10/2013
https://www.layahealthcare.ie
Your Insurance is provided by Elips Insurance Limited trading as Laya Healthcare. Laya Healthcare Limited, trading as Laya Healthcare, is regulated by the Central Bank of Ireland. Laya Healthcare Limited acts as an agent for healthcare products for Elips Insurance Limited and is a private company limited by shares registered in Ireland, No 242048. The registered office of Laya Healthcare Limited is Eastgate Road, Eastgate Business Park, Little Island, Co. Cork.
Elips Insurance Limited is authorised by the Financial Markets Authority in Liechtenstein and regulated by the Central Bank of Ireland for the conduct of business rules.
Elips Insurance Limited is registered in Liechtenstein under Company number FL-0002.384.577-7 and the registered office is Bartlegroschstr. 5, 9490 Vaduz, Liechtenstein.

My question is where is is Elips Insurance financially regulated. It was clear in 2013, less clear now

Also note that the same business name can be used for two different legal entities.
Elips Insurance Limited trading as Laya Healthcare
Laya Healthcare Limited trading as Laya Healthcare

@ Branz - I am not au fait with the legalities.. so I should ask, who are they regulated by?

Last edited:
jan,

I was referring to either plan Aviva Be Fit 1 or Laya Control 300 Create, in relation to good outpatient cover.
They are both very similar re outpatient cover, either plan would suit your situation with good cover for consultant and GP visits, unless the dental cover matters.

Snowyb

Reactions: jan
hi i was talking to Laya and Aviva today - gosh - customer service rep's leave a lot to be desired... i had to push both to recommend a "choice" to me.. and even after that I can see other plans they could have suggested.. eg: Laya did not suggest control 300 create - but suggested advantage 250 or flexi 250..

As for Aviva, I really had to ask for information - beg almost..

But Laya have not waiting period for non pre existing illnesses - where as there would be 6 mths with Aviva... I do like the aviva package better - I wonder if I could haggle with them and get them to waiver the waiting period for non pre existing illnesses?

It's worth a try - but I wouldn't hold my breath.
After year 1, you can then switch to Aviva.

Snowyb

Back