Health Expenses Tax Relief

cork

Does the first 125 euros of health expenses quality for tax relief?

I was under the impression that they abolished the treasholds for claiming tax relief.

The €125 (single)/€250 (joint) "excess" on MED1 claims has been abolished with effect from the 2007 tax year - i.e. the excess still applies for MED1 claims for 2003-2006 but not from this year on.

The €125 (single)/€250 (joint) "excess" on MED1 claims has been abolished with effect from the 2007 tax year - i.e. the excess still applies for MED1 claims for 2003-2006 but not from this year on.

Would you be able to give me more information on that? i checked on the Revenue website and could not find anything on the abolishment.

Thanks

Would you be able to give me more information on that? i checked on the Revenue website and could not find anything on the abolishment.

Thanks

I read it on this site earlier in the year, but have not seen it in any revenue literature that regularly arrives in work.

This was the original plan:
measures to help taxpayers claim the tax reliefs to which they are entitled including measures designed to enable Revenue to make automatic repayments in respect of reliefs such as health expenses, trade union subscriptions and to allow age related tax credits to be credited automatically to the taxpayer. Also the two thresholds for claiming relief on health expenses, currently €125 for one person and €250 for a family, are being rationalised into a single threshold of €125. To further speed up the tax repayment process the Minister said that he is abolishing the requirement that the taxpayer who pays the medical expenses has to be related to the person in respect of whom the expenses were incurred.

but then I believe that they decided to abolish even the €125 "excess".
The removal of thresholds for medical expenses relief. At present there are two minimum thresholds for claiming tax relief on medical expenses, €125 for one person or €250 for more than one person. The Bill provides that both thresholds will be removed. The Minister sees this change as an important provision which should be welcomed by taxpayers who in 2008 will receive additional cash-back for medical expenses incurred in 2007. To further speed up the tax repayment process the Minister said that he is abolishing the requirement that the taxpayer who pays the medical expenses has to be related to the person in respect of whom the expenses were incurred. The cost of the changes to the thresholds will be approximately €21 million annually.

Oddly enough I cannot see any mention of either in the actual Finance Act 2007 arising from the bill in question!

Maybe (a) the change never went through (which I am doubtful and hopeful is the case!) or (b) it did and Revenue maybe haven't updated their docs yet because it's only relevant for 2007 MED1 claims which can only be done once the 2007 tax year ends?

Oddly enough I cannot see any mention of either in the actual Finance Act 2007 arising from the bill in question!

And to think you gave me hassle on another thread for not knowing that the excess had been removed, I took it that you knew what you were talking about !!!!!! Maybe it's a lesson to you, don't correct or criticise other posters until you are 100% sure that your information is correct.
Apologies for going off topic here.

This was the original plan:

but then I believe that they decided to abolish even the €125 "excess".

The amendments are included in section 9 of the Finance Act 2007 (which amends section 469 of the 1997 Act). However, the heading given to that section doesn't mention health expenses and so it is easy to miss.

Thanks Nige - I see it now alright. So case closed - all "excesses" on MED1/2 claims for tax relief for otherwise unreimbursed qualifying medical/dental expenses have indeed been abolished by Budget/Finance Act 2007.

Back