Health Check (Male)

A

aBitTooFar

I'm looking for a 'standard' health check for a 37 year old male. I don't think my GP is in a position to do it for me or refer me to someone because there is nothing wrong with me (to the best of my knowledge). All I want is to reassure myself or else provide me with good notice of any pending ailments.

I have private health insurance but am willing to pay for this health check.

I live in south county Dublin.

Thanks

In a dilemna myself. I would like (like is the wrong word, I know) to have a prostrate check done (natural caution), but always bump in to my GP when having a pint. Sometimes send a pint over, so does he.

I know the obvious answer is to call in to another GP, but would they feel that I was some sort of deviant, just calling in once ever for a prostrate check.

The UCC one.

[broken link removed]

I did the V02 test once. So much harder than the bleep tests I had done a few times before.
I saw my life flash before my eyes. Alas, it wasn't very interesting.

I know the obvious answer is to call in to another GP, but would they feel that I was some sort of deviant, just calling in once ever for a prostrate check.

So funny!:D

I went for a health check in the mater private: [broken link removed] They do a check for prostate cancer as part of it. Overall it's a good check up for some piece of mind.

Cost is around €450 of which Bupa refunded half and you can claim the remainder against income tax (for medical expenses in excess of €125 per year for an individual, €250 for family). I know VHI also pay for some of this cost, not sure what portion though.

Why would you want anyone else?

my gp is one fantastic looking woman. And while she makes me cough now and again while holding a cold steth on my back I just know if she goes looking for lumps down below, shes gonna find one that wasnt there when I went in. :)

I've been there, and believe me, having ANY doctor (male or female, good looking or pug-ugly) put a rubber-encased finger up your a*se is NOT a sexually gratifying experience!

Unregistered said:
my gp is one fantastic looking woman. And while she makes me cough now and again while holding a cold steth on my back I just know if she goes looking for lumps down below, shes gonna find one that wasnt there when I went in. :)

Isn't that why physios have a cold spoon ready for groin strains!

Typically you wouldn't be able to see anything except a wall after assuming the position, so it make no difference if it is a male or female rubber encased finger!

stobear said:
Typically you wouldn't be able to see anything except a wall after assuming the position, so it make no difference if it is a male or female rubber encased finger!

God almighty man, have you no imagination?;)

If you're worried about your PROSTATE then just call into another GP and get it tested.

He'll probably ask you why you need a test if you are under 40 - as apparently under 40's need only worry about testicular cancer - and if you're concerned about him asking you why you didn't go to your own GP just tell him it was convenient, workwise, to get it done there. He'll also do a PSA sample (take blood sample).

And, I was told by a nurse that the digital rectal exam will be done away with in the next couple of years as a new test is been develpoed or tested in Britain. Apparently.

am I on some other planet? when thers f**k all wrong with you what do you want to go to the doctor for?. I have only been to the doctor once* in the past 10 years and that was for a hernia operation ( too near the jewels for comfort). went to doc who sent me to consultant who after 2 minutes declared i had a hernia. jeeez give me a break - thats why i went to the doc in the first place, even dr magoo could see i had a hernia! anyway after about two weeks got a letter from hospital to attend and have said hernia 'repaired' day job and one week later back to doc to get stiches out. that was 3 years ago now and if i never see another doc for the next 10 years it's fine with me. never had my blood pressure taken so many times as in that hospital but the funny thing was they gave me a little bottle to p**s into the night before and as i was leaving the hospital , i threw it into a waste bin. Nobody looked for it.
enjoyed that. * wound up seeing the doc and consultant 4 times in all. imo the 2nd visit to the consultant was only a money gathering exercise.

Have you ever heard of preventive care? The whole point of regular checkups is to diagnose and treat ailments BEFORE its too late. Saves a fortune in medical costs in the long run, which is why medical insurance companies in the US (for example) send you for a free checkup once a year.

Try Check up Limited
6 Lower Main Street
Dundrum
Dublin 14
Ph 2981063

Don't know if you can just walk in off the street!!!1
Don't know about cost as my employer paid for it. They set up a mobile unit in the car park.

Back