Have you opened an online share trading account with a UK company?

Odea

I am paying .5% commission to an Irish stockbroker on my buys and sells plus circa €50 a quarter in fees. Execution only trades.

There are several companies offering execution only trades for about £10 based in the U.K. with no other costs.

Anyone using these and is there anything I need to know before I begin the process of moving my trading from Ireland to the U.K.?

I only trade the FTSE.

I use Saxo Bank typically 10GBP per trade (UK Trades) with no other fees other than custody etc (10 euro per month) but you have to trade at least every quarter I believe otherwise there is an additional charge..this hasn't been an issue for me to date

I use Saxo Bank typically 10GBP per trade (UK Trades) with no other fees other than custody etc (10 euro per month) but you have to trade at least every quarter I believe otherwise there is an additional charge..this hasn't been an issue for me to date
I left Saxo for Degiro. No monthly fees, just trading fees. No brainer as far as I am concerned.

I thought that Interactive Brokers Ireland had closed their Ireland service?

Has anyone ever done a £100k trade with any of the above mentioned? Presently paying Davy .5% on each £100k trade, both buying and selling. It's ridiculous that sometimes they are making more money on my trade in commission costs than I am able to make in profit.

I left Saxo for Degiro. No monthly fees, just trading fees. No brainer as far as I am concerned.
How do I transfer funds to Degiro to start trading? As I trade on the FTSE, I need to hold a Sterling account with them. I only have a Euro bank account in Ireland.

Last edited:
How do I transfer funds to Degiro to start trading? As I trade on the FTSE, I need to hold a Sterling account with them. I only have a Euro bank account in Ireland.
Send the money in euros, when buying they will do a conversion ie buying in Sterling on the Stock exchange London.

Has anyone ever done a £100k trade with any of the above mentioned? Presently paying Davy .5% on each £100k trade, both buying and selling. It's ridiculous that sometimes they are making more money on my trade in commission costs than I am able to make in profit.

Yes, have done some large trades with Saxo, up to £250k.

Pluses for Saxo: reasonably decent online trading platform (costs extra for some premium features which I don't need); can deposit in euros, auto-converted to Sterling for Sterling trades; they seem to have gotten rid of their inactivity fee (I got charged a few years ago, now I don't; don't know if you have to have above a certain account value); trading costs are "ok" -- generally 0.1% to 0.15%, minimum £12 so not great if you're trading less than a few k at a time. There's a schedule of prices somewhere online, look up Saxo Capital Markets UK Ltd. There is a monthly share custody fee, think it's about 0.01%, minimum £10.

Minuses for Saxo: they seem to have doubled their margin on EUR->GBP/GBP->EUR conversions. Used to be 0.5% in their favour compared to the mid market rate, I think they may have changed it to 1%. That makes it darn expensive. I can live with it as only using Sterling for dividend-paying UK Investment Trusts and hold them for a long time. Got stung a couple of times for orders that got split for no good reason and ended up with single-digit 10p shares with £12 commission. An infrequent glitch though. Their customer service is crap -- can take days or weeks to resolve issues raised in their online system, and telephone support will leave you queuing for hours. Have very rarely had to use it though.

Despite the above gripes, I'm actually a moderately happy customer. Bit nervous the UK will get booted out of providing financial services to EU countries when Liz Truss scuppers the Brexit deal.

Last edited:
Got stung a couple of times for orders that got split for no good reason and ended up with single-digit 10p shares with £12 commission. An infrequent glitch though.
When you place an order for say 20,000 Bloomsbury shares that may not have huge trades, can they complete that order in small lots and gather lots of £12 commission each time to complete your purchase?

When you place an order for say 20,000 Bloomsbury shares that may not have huge trades, can they complete that order in small lots and gather lots of £12 commission each time to complete your purchase?
Order often are filled in many tranches of different sizes, but the whole things is a single order and you only get charged commission once. My glitchy ones ended being split into two separate orders, for reasons unknown.

I tried different platforms and I found Degiro the best. Their costs are minimal.

Back