HAP Tenant offers to buy their rented property

Whatever about the rights and wrongs that someone with the means to purchaser a property should also be eligible for State supports while renting, it shouldn't be a surprise. The ESRI reported on this last year.

Depending on your chosen metric anywhere between a third and more than half of renter's get some kind of government support. Apparently 20% of the supports go to those in the top half of the income distribution.

Last edited:
Maybe I am too black and white here but it seems bizarre that once accepted for HAP, you are not reassessed for eleibility. So you qualify at under threshold and income doubles and you continue to be eligible.
HAP eligibility for a single person in Dublin is below about €54k gross.

So if they double their income to €108k gross they will be contributing an extra €28k or so in taxes.

Which covers the cost of their HAP and then some.

All that does is inflate prices. It doesn't actually help. Back in my day it was called the 1st Time Buyers grant.
It doesn't really. It was designed to incentivise builders to build. And it has done that in Dublin. But I think if it was removed prices would stay where they are.

HAP eligibility for a single person in Dublin is below about €54k gross.

So if they double their income to €108k gross they will be contributing an extra €28k or so in taxes.

Which covers the cost of their HAP and then some.
This is entirely false. HAP eligibility is determined on qualification for social housing, which in turn depends on income, which in Fingal, for example is 40k for a single applicant. And it depends on the landlord agreeing to it for a sitting tenant. Most landlords I know just don't want HAP tenants, for whatever reasons they have. Plus unless such a tenant is homeless, which an earner on 40k is unlikely to be, the limit for such a tenant renting an entire unit is 660pcm.

In proactive most HAP tenants are either long term social welfare recipients or people who have come off long term social welfare in recent years, who are on comparatively low family incomes.

It does make sense to give it to working families - I had neighbours who I presume were on HAP, who had one child who had a disability and needed a lot of care, so they had to work locally & only one parent could work. It made a lot of sense in their case. But honestly, such families should be a priority on the housing list too.

My HAP tenant offered to buy off me last year. He was using cash he had from his business, said he had 100K, and needed to sell 2 houses in X (abroad, not Europe) to get the rest. He also showed me three plots of land he has bought in Ireland. On which he constructed a business that cannot be seen (cash natch). And yes I saw it. I also went into the land registry website to check he owed it. From his calling me to his location he gave me the Eircode and based on my memory of walking the land with him I was able to track down the three plots.

I can verify this if AAM wants. As I have emails from him. Plus a letter from his solicitor. Plus a land registry folio. Plus the Hap records. He's also constructed a dwelling house (illegal clearly). He got advice from a council fellow he's friendly with.

The sale fell thru and he's now out. He also has tried to diddle HAP, by claiming it for the full month, which I got, and wants me to refund him the half month of that, as 'he paid it'. I'm mulling reporting him to HAP, revenue and the council. He is the first tenant I have ever not given the deposit back to. In the hope he will take a RTB case against me for it. Because I will love that.

We finally got him out by threatening law with him. And yes I can supply AAM with that too.

There's no squinting windows where he is, he's too smart for that. And he thinks he's too smart for Irish systems. So far he's winning. Eldest son is now going into the business.

So I wonder if he'll come back at me, I'll enjoy that as he led me a merry dance. He did apologise when the game was up. For what he did. (yes I've that email too) Which he thinks I'm stupid enough to believe. Money talks, so I think he's getting the message. But I'd really like if he took a bite at me via the RTB for the deposit.
He sounds nice.

This is entirely false. HAP eligibility is determined on qualification for social housing, which in turn depends on income, which in Fingal, for example is 40k for a single applicant.
How is it false? 40k net in Fingal (which is Dublin) is about 54k gross.

Back