handling charges on non_Irish cheque in euro

D

djocallaghan

A friend of mine was charged €300 by the bank for handling a cheque from the eurozone because it was submitted without endorsement by the sender. It was really the fault of the teller who accepted the cheque when it was presented in the first place. After some dispute, the bank reduced the charge to €100, which the bank deducted from the person's account, but it still seems abusive. Does the consumer have any rights in a case like this?

[FONT=&quot]There’s something incorrect here. It’s your friend who should endorse the cheque, i.e. sign it on the back to certify that it is authorized for depositing in his / her account. Not the person who signed, i.e. issued the cheque. Also most Continental countries have done away with cheques, so does your friend actually have a eurozone cheque? IBAN and BIC no.s are required for electronic transfers, but this should not affect a paper cheque. But it would seem inconsistent with single market principles for a eurozone cheque to be treated in any way different from a similar Irish cheque. I think you need to provide more details.[/FONT]

Back