Hair Loss

J

JoeyFitz

I'm 25 and my hair has recently started thinning and receeding at a surprising rate. Until a couple of months ago I hadnt noticed any hair loss but I've been under a good bit of pressure of late - could this really have a major impact?

My father is not bald but both grandfathers were.

I'd really appreciate any advice on how to slow or stop the hair loss - is there anyone that has actual experience of something that really worked? I'll be fine with losing the hair but if there is anyway of preventing it I'd prefer to try it rather than think 'I should have tried that' - so I'd consider going up to Dublin to the Advanced Hair Studio, has anyone tried it and what were the results and price like? Thx

I'm going bald as well. You will just have to accept the inevitable. If there was a cure then we'd all know about it by now.

Think of all the money saved on shampoo, the practicality of a quick drying off with a towel, no more gel, not mention attention from some of the girlies. Being a slaphead is not all bad. Some more reading here.....[broken link removed]

Hi JoeyFitz
Sorry about your hair loss ... as far as I can remember it is heriditary from the maternal granfathers side. You could try regaine ... it was originally a heart treatment, but they noticed during trials that patients were regaining their hair ... nothing else to suggest ... Mr HP is also losing his hair ... but we don't mention it!

JoeyFitz,

Before splashing out lots of cash on expensive treatments, I would highly recommend going for regular Indian Head massages. Not only is this an extremely relaxing treatment and a great stress-reliever, it also improves hair texture and growth....

JoeyFitz said:
I'd consider going up to Dublin to the Advanced Hair Studio,

Advanced Hair Studio will sell you a hairpiece (even if they call it something different). Avoid them like the plague. Ditto most similar companies who offer various "treatments". Its snake oil stuff - avoid it.

There's no simple or guarenteed way to prevent hairloss. But to learn more about the subject, consult the various websites that deal with the subject. e.g

And for those who think the subject is great laugh, it isn't and try not to treat it as such.

Last edited by a moderator:
The two main medicine options are propecia and regaine.

I've been using regaine for 10 years (since I was 23), it's worked pretty well. Best to start using it as soon as you notice hair loss as it is more effective as a hair 'keeper' than 'restorer'.

I decided not to use propecia as I didn't feel comfortable with some of the accompanying medical warnings, and also I was happy enough with the effectiveness of regaine.

Regaine is available in most chemists, will cost you about 25 euro per month, and you will need to apply it to your scalp twice daily. It's non prescripton and comes in two different strenghts, although I would recommend you visit your GP.

Also keeping your hair short and clean reduces loss.

How you feel about baldness is completely up to you, I never felt comforted by the 'sean connery / bruce willis looks great' anecdotes.

Its easier and cheaper to accept the inevitable, and just shave it off..I remember reading somewhere "If Sean Connery was a binman,nobody would give him a second look" (apologies to any binmen who may be reading this!)It is quite surprising how quickly the angst of hair loss eh, recedes once you take the plunge and get shorn...daithi

Back