Government gives everyone 100% in their orals

Duke of Marmalade

Leaving cert oral exams cancelled and students given full marks.
I'm seeing if it's too late to re-sit my Irish and French!
It will be interesting to see if that translates as higher grades or will there be a rescaling to get more or less the same percentage outcomes as normal.

It will be interesting to see if that translates as higher grades or will there be a rescaling to get more or less the same percentage outcomes as normal.
Grades will certainly be higher since everyone is getting the max mark available. But the CAO points will go up as well.

Last edited:
The government announcement made little sense to me.

Why did they not just exclude the orals and mark people as normal on the rest of the exam?

The current proposal favours those doing languages over non-language subjects.

It will be much easier to get top grades in the languages.

Brendan

The government announcement made little sense to me.

Why did they not just exclude the orals and mark people as normal on the rest of the exam?

Brendan
I agree. It would have been so much more logical to say orals are being ignored and all the marks will be given for the written.

Written, as in germ-carrying biro and germ-carrying paper? Why not electronically via keyboard and electronically secured soft-copy? Everyone brings thir own keyboard and mouse to the exam hall and plugs into the USB port on the PC/Mac/Unix box. Or ifthey standardised the keyboatds and mice, every student just brings their own pre-sanitised membranes.

Oral exams conducted via video-link / CCTV.

But hey what do I know, I ain't the man, man

Fully agree with this. Some students may have 4 or 5 subjects between languages, home economics, music etc in which they have achieved 100% already for a substantial portion. On the other hand many students may only have one or none of these subjects and get no hand up. And they have to compete with the others. Completely unfair and very disheartening I'd imagine.

I listened to Liveline yesterday. The impression conveyed was that some parents who had spent money for their children to gain advantage over others was going to be wasted. As an earlier poster said, why not eliminate the orals altogether.

100% for everyone is unfair and demotivating for dilligent students who had done lots of their own work and prep.

They expected a high mark vs others which would have increased their chance of getting their college course of choice.

100% or 0% its the same difference in the end. The differentiator now will be the final exam; and we can only hope that they are not cancelled also.

start school again next sept and Use the schools as contact tracing centers with the teachers local knowledge .In Singapore they hired 10000 people for this .One way or other it will end up in court becaus e my johnnie will have been discriminated against.

with the teachers local knowledge

Lots of teachers now commute to the schools they work in and haven't a notion of local knowledge ... me included.

We are a 12 teacher school and not one of us is local to the area.

And just before anyone says anything.... I've never worked as hard on providing education to the pupils I teach...

I've set up a dedicated website for them and they are practically getting one-to-one tutoring.

And I was up at 6.00 a.m. this morning revamping site for Monday. I'll spend tomorrow working on content matter.

A lot of teachers would know local areas and parents ,would be involved with local community groups and clubs etc .The schools are ideal local centers with space for utilising as trace centers.How many students do you think are sitting home and taking study seriously 50 per cent of leaving? 20 per cent the rest?.Do you honestly think you will have state exams in june?that will stand up?you can still remote teach from school if Ur quiet..I know my sisters house was never as clean and she thinks she's on her school holidays.

A lot of teachers would know local areas and parents ,would be involved with local community groups and clubs etc .The schools are ideal local centers with space for utilising as trace centers.

I very much doubt many of them are at all suitable. The system is already over-subscribed with volunteers who have much of the training and experience required to perform this work. Suggesting teachers should do this makes no sense whatsoever.

[QUOTE="Leo, post: 16. Who are all these qualified trained people for this job .I know of 2 healthcare workers redeployed for this who asked to be redeployed and this is what they are trained up for and now doing.I also know some teachers who have volunteered and can't believe they haven't been redeployed.The schools are there and the teachers are there .Why pay someone else it's not rocket science

[QUOTE="Leo, post: 16. Who are all these qualified trained people for this job .I know of 2 healthcare workers redeployed for this who asked to be redeployed and this is what they are trained up for and now doing.I also know some teachers who have volunteered and can't believe they haven't been redeployed.The schools are there and the teachers are there .Why pay someone else it's not rocket science

Over 60k people with health care qualifications and experience have volunteered via the HSE system. Why would adding teachers with no training or experience be a good thing? If anything, it would detract from efforts as they would consume more resources that could be better applied elsewhere while getting up to speed.

Tha 60000 are not healthcare qualified with experience .The schools are good hubs most of the teachers are involved in localities and know the people .They already have a certain database of contacts and are easily mobilised .Yes they will need certain guidence. There are little rules only pass on information as quick as possible .Sooner they start the better they would be

You would hope it will be localised in France you have to be within 2miles of your residence .I believe this will come here, it's nothing to do with family tree it's about the people in the locality.

Back