Got planning permission with no objections - neighbour wont give access to her garden

Your builder can presumably complete all building operations- except plastering the wall, without interference with your neighbour? On this basis why not proceed with the work and leave the wall face visible to her unplastered. Unless the wall is very exposed dampness should not be a problem- alternatively use cavity wall construction. Your neighour- if she has any sense, will find the bare, unplastered wall objectionable and will probably seek to have it plastered. At this stage you can presumably discuss whether to oblige her or not.

Presumably the council granted planning on condition that all the work was done to the proper specifications. Leaving a wall unplastered is hardly completing the work to the planners satisfaction.At the end of the day the planner is not responsible for negotiating with the neighbour to gain access to her premises, the neighbour is.
If the neighbour reports to the council that certain work was left unfinished then what, You can see how silly the whole situation has become. As I see it jellybear can't start his work until this is resolved with the neighbour and she probably knows this. There is probably a law somewhere whereby a neighbour has to allow access for urgent work to be completed in an emergency, and if they share a party wall there's bound to be?

You could plaster the blocks before putting them up, and fill in the cracks as they are being laid.

I'd go ahead with it and deal with the possible consequences afterwards. It has PP, and if it is not completed to specification it is only because the neiaghbour is impeding the situtation. The planners would not take an objection from that person seriously.

If all else fails I'd learn some basic plastering skills if I was you and then when the opportunity arose I'd plaster it myself.
Let's face it, going into some else's property isn't exactly a serious crime. I bet everyone who disagrees with me have trespassed themselves - retrieving a ball or other objects, walks in the country across farmers' land, running from barking dogs!
There'll be lots of opportunities to do it - holidays, weddings, early in the morning, while they're watching their favourite TV programme, etc.

I would recommned you take photos of the Ladys garden prior to the work commencing and any any access via her garden so she cannot claim that damage etc was done by your builder subsequently and expect you to pay for it also.

Re: Got planning permission with no objections - neighbour wont give access to her ga

Let's face it, going into some else's property isn't exactly a serious crime.
[broken link removed] is indeed a serious crime. Recommending that access be acquired surrpetitiously is hardly prudent advice.

Build your extension, if she doesn't want the wall facing her to be plastered then don't do it, it'll make no difference to you.
I wouldn't be putting myself out or spending a fortune to please her.
You could always plant an ivy or something on it if you wanted to, then she'd have to pick up the leaves which fall on her side.
I'd defo not have her taking me for a ride.

Re: Got planning permission with no objections - neighbour wont give access to her ga

[broken link removed] is indeed a serious crime. Recommending that access be acquired surrpetitiously is hardly prudent advice.

"It shall be an offence for a person, without reasonable excuse, to trespass"

Plastering a wall seems like a reasonable excuse to me.

Build your extension. If she objects to building inspector, planning, let them come out. Politely offer to plaster it for her. She'll look very foolish if she says it's an eyesore but then won't let you in to plaster! I'm sure the building inspector will tell her, she can't have it both ways!!

You could plaster the blocks before putting them up, and fill in the cracks as they are being laid.

That has to be just about the most stupid suggestion i have ever heard. Why dont you build the wall with lego then you wouldnt have to plaster it

"It shall be an offence for a person, without reasonable excuse, to trespass"

Plastering a wall seems like a reasonable excuse to me.
I don't think so but ultimately it could be for a court to decide.

Dont build. Sell the house. Problem solved :D

Strange as it may seem I seem to recall a thread about the state owning airspace when the Luas was been built especially at Dundrum and Grand Canal. Trespass may very well only be if you set foot on their land but if you were to plaster while hoisted off the ground ?!?

I was going to suggest attempting to plaster the wall while hanging over the edge but I thought that would be up there with plastering the blocks before laying them in terms of ridiculousness! :)

Trespass isn't only if you set foot on a persons land, they can claim trespass to their airspace too.

Back