Golden Pages: Questions

All business phone numbers are listed for free.

We've paid for listings in the past, but it was a waste of money.

Apart from anything else the categories haven't been updated in years.

They lump hosting and domain registration in with web design and development, so if you do get any calls (don't hold your breath!) they're probably looking for the wrong kind of service anyway.

It's like lumping plumbers in with carpenters!

Following on from the above I wondered if anyone had feedback on the golden pages, online customer service? I took out a contract with them back in November and have found them awful i am unable to get the feedback/figures I was promised when i took out the contract ... I just wondered if i was alone with this..

Thanks in advance

One of the companies I look after had a small ad in the book and on the website, customer service during the sales process was great, but once they got the money *bamm* they were gone.

I asked for statistics for ad views / click throughs to website etc, I only got them as they wanted me to renew the add, when I did get the results they were insanely overstated.

According to them 1,112 people clicked the link on their site to the website, my google analytics package has it as 1 person clicked through to the site.

I suspect that one one person was me checking the link worked.

I would rather spend advertising money else where.

I would rather spend advertising money else where.

Fair point but try telling that to a Locksmith.

It really depends on the type of goods/service you are offering. A little bit of "market research" along the lines of ".......if you were looking for XYZ, where would be your first port of call?"

As per Blacknight's post, I would imagine that somebody who would be IT savvy enough to be at the point of sourcing hosting services, would not be searching through a paper medium?

The Problem with the Golden pages is that people ring a selection of the listings and in my experience usually go with the cheapest, even if they are comparing apples with oranges. So unless your going for the lowest cost customer then its more hassle than its worth, at least in my experience.

Fair point but try telling that to a Locksmith.

It really depends on the type of goods/service you are offering. A little bit of "market research" along the lines of ".......if you were looking for XYZ, where would be your first port of call?"

As per Blacknight's post, I would imagine that somebody who would be IT savvy enough to be at the point of sourcing hosting services, would not be searching through a paper medium?

Obviously it depends on the type of business, locksmith, plumber, electrician etc However, Goldenpage ads are extremely expensive and I do feel there is better value to be found else where.

However, my point was customer service was non-existant after they got paid for the ad and when they did supply what I asked for it was clearly over-stated and if I did not have other systems in place would have tricked me into renewing the ad.

I had an ad in the Golden Pages, but also routinely ask all new customers how they heard of me. There would be about 12 responses through GP, and none of them followed through most years, so I dropped the ad. It's important to do this kind of research, to know if the money you spend is worthwhile. (depends on your business of course, whether you get business through them.)

Is it possible for a private person to get a private number (being used as a business number) listed in goldenpages for a fee?

ive tried recently to get a price for a listing in the goldenpages.ie with a link to a website. They said listing is free and someone would ring back about it. No one rang back. Anyways how much is it to to list name number address plus a weblink? (online only). Thanks

to update you all on my progress with golden pages .ie

I logged a Formal Complaint against their Customer services, and their failure to provide me with information as I am paying for under my package (about 300 amonth), this was logged back in mid April with a 'Senior sales person'

Having tried to get in contact with this person for the last few weeks i finally tracked him down today, he confirmed nothing has been done with my complaint and he is too busy to do anything about it at the moment, i have now not received my statistics since last November when I initially took out the ad, I would advise anyone considering taking out this package and spending alot of money on this service, DONT BOTHER!

A rep from Golden Pages called to our offices today. He said he was selling adverts for online listing and that he had no link with the GP Book? Two options one advert costs €750 and the other one costs €450 per year. There is a one of charge of €250 for setting it up. The company I work for allready pay €418 plus VAT for their advert in the GP book. Is there such a thing as a free advert in the GP? Any advise if the online one is worth taking out. My gut feeling is it isn't.

You can get a free basic text entry in the GP for free and I think this is online and offline. I personally wouldn't waste my time with a paid for online entry in the GP. You will be better off spending the money on your own web site and search engine advertising or optimisation.

Matt

Marketing Ireland

We negiotated a free month from the GP Online and only upon its success (i.e provide the return rate as indicated by the salesman) would we take up the yearly contract.

It didn't work (no clicks) and we walked away..so my advice is to get a anticipated level of return from their sales and thereafter request a free trial month to allow them to prove it to you.

However as indicated by a previous post you do need to have analytics on your site to determine the true level of impact the campaign is providing.

Back