Golden Pages: Questions

Bill Shatner

Ok so Ive decided to take the plunge with my business and take out an Ad in this years edition. I was wondering if many self employed or owners of SME's here advertise with them and if the feedback is good? It'll vary from business type type to business type obviously. Ive been told to avoid the Independent Directory as the feedback is small in comparison.

Another question I was wondering about: Im registered under my own name as a sole trader but I want to use another name in the Golden Pages thats starts with an A to have as many first time callers as possible, from what Ive heard from people in my sector this is generally how it works with Joe Public, they start with "A" and work there way down or go for the biggest Ad on the page. Will I need to go through the hassle of registering another company name and have to pay some sort of double tax or can I just write it off as an expense under my my existing (own) sole trader name? Hope that makes sense.

The deadline is approaching so Id like to hear as much feedback as possible, thanks ;)

You should register any new business name with the CRO. Then you will be Joe Bloggs T/A AA bloggs.

I am in Golden pages- I have highlighted the town I work in as I feel people look for their own area before anything else. I suspect I get very little work through golden pages, more through word of mouth. But if nothing else those people who have been recommended to come to me will be able to look up my contact details there too.

Hi, You can simply register another business name with the CRO, if you do this online it will only cost you €20. You will find details here: [broken link removed]

You want form RBN1 for an individual.

I would advise you against letting the golden pages staff design your advert for you, they are trained to sell the biggest ad space not get you the best results. Some things to consider are incorporating some kind of tracking mechanism so you can monitor how much business you are getting from the Golden pages, this will help you measure its performance and let you decide if it is cost effective to continue using in the future.

www.BetterBusinessResults.com

No you won't have to pay two lots of VAT you can have as many trading names as you like linked to one business entity.

I tried searching for several business than I know exist and could not find them. It insisted that I enter a category and area first which is not much use if you are looking for details of a company but don't know these details offhand.

I tried searching for several business than I know exist and could not find them. It insisted that I enter a category and area first which is not much use if you are looking for details of a company but don't know these details offhand.

Thats the the complete opposte as to how the average customer uses the Golden Pages IMHO, 90% if not all would pick up the book/log onto the site and search for a service they're looking for. If they know the company name then they'd have dealt with them before and would either be ringing them again direct if the service was good in the past or not if it wasnt.

Thats my take anyhoo! ;)

Ive been onto them there and just to let anyone here thats thinking about advertising in this years edition that the cutoff point for placing an Ad is next Tuesday.

Bear in mind that the GoldenPages online search is practically useless as far as I can see!
I concur with Clubman- the Golden Pages was always the first point of call when I started in the construction sector and back then the paper (only) copy was a well thumbed resource. In more recent times when I've attempted to use the online facility I've rarely had a useful response. It's a choice between the hardcopy and google for me.

Thats the the complete opposte as to how the average customer uses the Golden Pages IMHO
I am an average customer. For example* - I know that there is an appliance spare parts place on North Frederick Street but don't recall the name and want to find the phone number. I was able to do this with the GP online a few weeks ago. But not now for some reason. Their search interface seems to have changed. For the worse.

* Illustrative example - I do know the name and phone number now.

hi all

i don know from experience that its difficult to get the GP to accept a business name which starts with an A, my company is a registered limited company and it was still very hard to get it under A, even thought its called A-Z Safety Statement Limited!

Hi, You can simply register another business name with the CRO, if you do this online it will only cost you €20. You will find details here: [broken link removed]

You want form RBN1 for an individual.

Filled out that form and was then asked to post it with 20 euros to the CRO?!

Surely in this day and age there should be a way to do this by credit card online?

Following on from the above I wondered if anyone had feedback on the golden pages, online customer service? I took out a contract with them back in November and have found them awful i am unable to get the feedback/figures I was promised when i took out the contract ... I just wondered if i was alone with this..

Thanks in advance

Following on from the above I wondered if anyone had feedback on the golden pages, online customer service? I took out a contract with them back in November and have found them awful i am unable to get the feedback/figures I was promised when i took out the contract ... I just wondered if i was alone with this..

Thanks in advance

how much did you pay for this service, was a listing or more?
I think the brand is really carrying them through its not great. People just beleive the need to be on it

Filled out that form and was then asked to post it with 20 euros to the CRO?!

Surely in this day and age there should be a way to do this by credit card online?

Nope, for sole trader applications etc, CRO insist on sending them a cheque / postal order in the amount of €20. They do not accept credit cards online for these type of transactions.
Although you're right. You'd think they'd have some type of online payment facility for such transactions.

Much better options than the Golden Pages. Its way too overrated

how much did you pay for this service, was a listing or more?

hiya, no its the online golden pages im talking about, i find the physical pages quite good.
Im paying 300 a month (before vat for my listing in a few counties, at the end of each month im meant to get a breakdown of hits, per county as well as hits that went onto link into my actual site.

its like pulling teeth each month since november trying to get them, ive actually only received once and it took almost 2 months of chasing them!!!

Ditto, me too.

Back