Global Stock Market System-www.GSMSireland.com Any experience using the service?

Re: Global Stock Market System?

1. My return is difficult to measure over 15 years, as I have taken money out of my account (to buy a house!). It is of the order of 5000%.
5000% over 15 years is a CAR of 76% according to this calculator! Sorry but I for one do not believe that...
2. Market timing is not that difficult.
I don't believe that either. Do you have any objective scientific/statistical evidence to back up this claim?
It is parked there (hopefully) to avoid losses during periods of poor stock market performance
So hope (or a wing and a prayer) is your guiding principal?
5. Commissions are small fractions of a % if you look around, so the number of trades made is not a significant impact on return. (charttrader stated free trades are also available)
What about taxes such as SD and CGT which affect purchases and disposals respectively?

These claims have never been backed up by an audit...
Which is why the current discussion is unlikely to end in agreement :)

CAR of 76% is indeed quite impressive! That's 10K into 50 million in 15 years :eek: 5-and-a-bit more years to billionaire status! Shurely shome mishtake?

Clubman
The 'edge' does not refer to insider trading. I have never had any insider info. When I am buying, someone else is selling. He believes he is right, I believe I am. In the long run, the guy with the edge wins out over the guy who is 'taking a punt'. I look for an edge by using technical analysis and solid money management parameters.

You are wrong with regards to markjbloggs CAR. The link you provided suggest a CAR of 29%, which is very doable indeed.

As for transaction costs, trading US markets does not attract SD. Everyone - trader or investor - has to pay CGT. Of course, many investors avoid taking a profit in order to postpone CGT, but it's always struck me as being rather reckless to stay in a position because of tax considerations as opposed to fundamental or technical reasons.

Your sarcastic reference to markjbloggs position on being in cash (So hope (or a wing and a prayer) is your guiding principal?) is a bit silly and unpleasant. Any professional will echo his words on this point.

Bacchus
As Markjbloggs points out, he was the one who referred to 15 years.

my reading so far is that you may have made 40% at some stage over a carefully selected period of time.
TBH, I have no interest in what AAM readers believe. I am in this game to make money rather than to delude myself that I'm some trading guru. I'm not in the business of massaging my returns by cutting and pasting periods of trading activity.

Regarding short term positions, it is all about market timing and i actually find it very difficult if not impossible to do...
You may find it difficult; it is far from impossible. Believe me. Market timing should not just be the preserve of active traders. Long term investors could do a lot better if they thought just a little more about the technical side of things.

you need to get some "info" before anybody else, and unless you have a presence on the floor, you get the info once it has been leaked and at the same time as the public Often too late..

No, you don't need this info (besides, floor traders are very often fed ridiculous rumours rather than brilliant inside info). You need to be patient and wait for the right opportunity to come along and strike when the risk:reward ratio is in your favour. About half the time, you'll get it wrong. But so what? That's where the old cliche about cutting losses and running winners comes in.

You are wrong with regards to markjbloggs CAR. The link you provided suggest a CAR of 29%, which is very doable indeed.
Yes - my mistake. Having posted this earlier I really shouldn't have fallen into the same hole myself! :eek:

1. My return is difficult to measure over 15 years, as I have taken money out of my account (to buy a house!). It is of the order of 5000%.

6. I made an initial investment of $13k - never put anything else in.

Just so we are all on the same page...

If you leveraged the $13k to trade futures or a large amount of stocks and you made $1k that doesnt make a return of 7.6%, it makes are return of 1k/nominal amount traded...

still, in my experience, beating the market (FTSE/S&P whatever) isnt a really valuable benchmark, you just want to find the happiest place to put your money...

as for buying the trading system the OP mentioned, my suggestion is if you want to buy a trading system would be better off taking your money and throwing it at people in the street, at least you see exactly who its going to...

read more carefully - I made the claim that I beat the market over 15 years, Charttrader made the 40% claim.

You are right, my mistake for having mixed up the 15 years and the 40%.

Not sure who your diatribe is directed at, but I disagree with just about everything in your post.

Fair enough, that's your right.
My post is not a diatribe by any means... i am just very dubious about the statements made so far by yourself and charttrader. That's my right.

As Charttrader states, there is always somebody selling and somebody buying, and this no matter what the price is and no matter what the market trend is. This is what i find facinating about the stock markets..
There is always something for somebody.

Bacchus,

don't get me wrong - I understand your scepticism. I don't consider myself to be particularly smart, nor do I have a financial background that would give me an additional insight into stock markets mechanics. Perhaps this is even an advantage, in so far as I am not burdened by having to do things by the book (I never read the book!).

What I do have is disciplined analysis techniques, plus a few tricks of the trade (eg cut your losses and let your winners run). That's all.

I have never traded the Irish stock market, being put off by the high commissions and Stamp duty, not to mention the lack of liquidity and the cronyism. Could I have achieved similar returns in Ireland - I seriously doubt it, so if you are measuring my performance by this yardstick, I can fully understand your scepticism.

M

I personally know several individuals who have made 50%+ in the last 12mths. One particular friend of mine has doubled his already substantial portfolio on the back of ONE Canadian junior miner. The stock went up x12 in 2005/06. He's now taking half his portfolio and buying a house outright.

The point is with the right accounts (unavailable in Ireland), capital, time and energy to devote and a healthy dollop of experience/knowledge it is well possible to make outstanding returns without taking on inordinate risk. Hint: we're only a few years into a decades long bull market in natural resources :)

Charttrader - why would you advise against dealing with zero commision brokers in the US? (Is it because they don't pay interest on your cash holdings?)

Cheers
Kane

What I find odd about the detail in the op is that for a time frame of six weeks you have got to be talking about trading as opposed to investing. The information contained in the op about " tips " suggests that the trades are to the long side - limiting yourself to one directional trades is madness imo. I would also question the wisdom of trading stocks, as an instrument, at all short term for a number of reasons such as liquidity, margin requirements, trading statements etc. The commissions quoted are very expensive relative to, futures for example, where today you can buy/sell 10 FTSE future lots ( value £616300 as I type ) for £12.80 each way, and more importantly the initial margin is only about £14k - if you were to trade the "tipped " stocks as cfd's to the tune of £600k odd the cost to buy would be over £2k alone ( at .35% as stated in the op ) and generally margin requirements for individual stocks are less favourable than index futures . Currency markets have even greater liquidity and margin requirements as low as 1% and as with electronic futures you can go long or short with two clicks of your mouse and at minimal cost. Personally wouldn't touch the system under discussion.

Last edited:

Off - topic : Not sure I necessarily agree with this - did you see what happened in Canada yesterday?

yeah, exactly why I've stayed away from exposure to trusts. Whether in Trust or Corporation form, several of these will be buys of the century when the dust settle.. cannot name individual cos. here...

Why are these not available in Ireland?

You tell me? Im guessing because property is the No.1 go-to option when the Irish think of "investing" and that the vast majority of people here havent a clue how to build wealth in bonds or shares and/or manage that wealth with other instruments. So, even if you could/wanted to invest this way, the financial infrastructure of a sufficient quality, scope and value in not available here. E.g. Look at the features and prices of the brokerage accounts available in US, Canada, UK and Europe and compare to whats on offer in Ireland.

In short, small retail investors are not catered for here.

You tell me? Im guessing because property is the No.1 go-to option when the Irish think of "investing" and that the vast majority of people here havent a clue how to build wealth in bonds or shares and/or manage that wealth with other instruments. So, even if you could/wanted to invest this way, the financial infrastructure of a sufficient quality, scope and value in not available here. E.g. Look at the features and prices of the brokerage accounts available in US, Canada, UK and Europe and compare to whats on offer in Ireland.

In short, small retail investors are not catered for here.

I want to start investing and I would like to find the easiest, cheapest and most informative online brokerages for equities and commodities. Which online brokerages are the best and do you have to be a resident in the brokerage country?

I want to start investing and I would like to find the easiest, cheapest and most informative online brokerages for equities and commodities. Which online brokerages are the best and do you have to be a resident in the brokerage country?

Someone, somewhere on AAM posted a spreadsheet comparing all the available brokerage accounts to Irish residents (yes an Irish resident cannot open a US account etc, you usually have to be a tax resident). The best of the bunch was one based in Luxembourg that was a specific "international" or ex-pat brokerage. Cant name names but it's jointly owned by a major Belgian/Lux bank and a major Canadian bank. The fees, charges, and stamp duties etc not to mention the limited menu of things to actually invest in by the Irish houses were a joke.

Kane3000
Cost is the most important consideration re. choosing a broker but not quite the only one. Speed of execution is important. Interest on cash can vary. Also, some exchanges or market makers will pay your broker for routing client orders to them (it's called payment for order flow and it will likely result in you getting a poorer price than you should have).

Besides, the choice is fantastic already in the US. With my broker (IB), a 1000 share purchase of IBM - 90,000 worth - would cost me a fiver. A 200 share purchase would cost me $1. That's as good as free to me. IB is also renowned for getting the best possible price available through its advanced order routing technology. The fact that professional traders would not consider a free trade outfit ahead of a firm like IB is indicative (I have no relationship whatsoever with IB, BTW).

The free trade idea was tried a few years ago but didn't work out. It's being tried again (zecco.com). Maybe it will work out great, but I would wait on this one. There's a good article on the SEC website on broker considderations. See

http://www.sec.gov/investor/pubs/tradexec.htm

Hibernicatio,
I think IB is by far the best but it's not suitable for someone just starting out. Don't gravitate to any broker for 'informative' reasons - you can get all the relevant info on the net. I would stay away from all Irish brokers - the charges are prohibitive (they're crap for a whole host of reasons, but I won't go on...). Look towards the US.

• [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]

[/FONT]

Bacchus,

read more carefully - I made the claim that I beat the market over 15 years, Charttrader made the 40% claim. Not sure who your diatribe is directed at, but I disagree with just about everything in your post.

2. Market timing is not that difficult. It is never perfect but better than random timing of investments.
3. I have no floor presence, nor do I have access to insider info.
4. Money not invested in the stock market at any time is in a money market account earning interest. It is parked there (hopefully) to avoid losses during periods of poor stock market performance,
5. Commissions are small fractions of a % if you look around, so the number of trades made is not a significant impact on return. (charttrader stated free trades are also available)
6. I made an initial investment of $13k - never put anything else in.
7. A large portion of my overall gain came in the internet years, but I never failed in 15 years to beat the S&P 500,the Dow 30 or the Nasdaq composite (whichever was highest) by less than 4%.
M

Markjbloggs I would be interested in any info you may have on how a beginner could get started in the market, course and other info etc.

So Markjbloggs thinks 40% p.a. is achievable and is has got 29% p.a. over 15 years. Charttrader thinks 29% p.a. is 'very doable' and looks for returns in excess of 40% p.a. (though he doesn't say over how long, or that that's what he actually got).

Break out the Excel here guys, I'm sceptical. Can we get a list of trades?

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Nermal, you're certainly not going to get a list from me. I'm not selling a product, I don't need to justify anything. My trading is my business. I made a couple of statements of belief in this thread, that's all. I also deliberately steered clear of mentioning any actual returns. Even if I did post a list of trades, it would prove absolutely nothing anyway.

I've stated numerous times in AAM that most traders lose money and that it's a zero sum game. It's not as if I've been some apostle of short-term trading promising easy money. It's my belief that most people who trade are very ignorant of the basics and would be better off in sticking their money into an index fund. Myself, I lost money for years before I learned 'how to' trade. Since then (five years or so), it's been a different story. I'm saying no more on that score, except to say that I expect to continue to earn market-beating returns in the following years.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Most of my posts are informative in nature - they deal with access to the cheapest/best brokers, the BS claims of certain salesmen peddling their 'expertise', on-line sources of free info, best books, etc - in other words, the kind of info that would help people in their early years of trading/investing. I'm not being pompous when I say that my AAM membership is for altruistic reasons – as a (very) short-term trader, AAM doesn't benefit me in any way.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Back