Gifting and means tested income

HiroPro

I've come into some money and I want to gift my parents €3,000 for Christmas so they can go on holidays next year. I know I am allowed to gift this amount and no CAT is due. However I think my mother is on a non-contributory pension and might be means tested on it (not sure about this). My father is on the regular pension having paid tax his whole life. Would the €3,000 gift be taken into account for means testing on my mother's pension payment? Could I just gift it directly to my father instead to avoid this? The only thing is they have a joint bank account.

Thanks

Just give them as much as you like, forget tax, you and them have been taxed all your life and in my view this is double taxation.

Just give them as much as you like, forget tax, you and them have been taxed all your life and in my view this is double taxation.
Not sure if its a matter of gifting as much cash as you like and forgetting about tax.

Buy them the plane tickets or package holiday etc as an xmas present instead.

I don’t think the first €3000 would be means tested assuming she is in receipt of the pension all ready.
Buy them the tickets yourself.

Back