Getting yelled at for having my dog off the leash...

I'm not a child lover - i find it just as irritating when a child is allowed to run free, get under my feet, pick things up, cry uncontrollably and when parents don't have control on their kids. I know that's opening a whole other can of worms.

Haha a brave statement - wait for the backlash :D

I have two dogs, both of which are as you say chipped, insured etc etc. I also walk them on beaches and in areas with these leash signs and I dot walk them on the lead. I do try to avoid people as much as possible just in case you get some odd git who moans at you. This woman is a busybody and you get them - fact of life. Continue walking your dog as you do and let her rant and rave....loons everywhere :) If you are ever approached by the dog warden (highly unlikely) tell him that the dog slipped the leash and you were trying to get it back on to him! very hard for him to prove otherwise :)

I'm not a scanger lover. It really annoys me to see them walking around in their tracksuits talking with that nasal air. They are also very threatening and it is illegal to take drugs. They should show a bit of respect ......

:D very good elcato

I'm not a scanger lover. It really annoys me to see them walking around in their tracksuits talking with that nasal air. They are also very threatening and it is illegal to take drugs. They should show a bit of respect ......

I wish we had a 'like' button on these threads......:D

Haha a brave statement - wait for the backlash :D

I have two dogs, both of which are as you say chipped, insured etc etc. I also walk them on beaches and in areas with these leash signs and I dot walk them on the lead. I do try to avoid people as much as possible just in case you get some odd git who moans at you. This woman is a busybody and you get them - fact of life. Continue walking your dog as you do and let her rant and rave....loons everywhere :) If you are ever approached by the dog warden (highly unlikely) tell him that the dog slipped the leash and you were trying to get it back on to him! very hard for him to prove otherwise :)

Thanks ney001....I spoke with the dog warden on the phone this morning and he said the woman could report me all she likes. As long as the dog isn't threatening, being a nuisance etc. they have no issue. It's just upsetting to have somebody who can ruin my day before 9am by commenting on what i've been doing for a long time! I wouldn't be one for confrontation, so I would be half afraid of bumping into her again. Althougbh if i do i will politely tell he i've spoken with the relevant people.

And yes, i know it was a bit of a brave statement - but it does get to me!

i'm not a scanger lover. It really annoys me to see them walking around in their tracksuits talking with that nasal air. They are also very threatening and it is illegal to take drugs. They should show a bit of respect ......

lol:d

There are signs saying 'Please keep the dog on the leash' which i have interpreted as being a request as opposed to an order.

LOL :D

Which you chose to interpret in the way that best suited you. That, for me, sums it up.

If it was an order it would have said so. Any signs I've seen say underneath "By order of .....
Maybe the woman herself put the signs up :))

I was walking with my (then) young child and dog (on a leash)in a park a few years back when another walkers small dog attacked my dog and my son a fright. The owner was upset that I picked their dog up and threw it into the shallow river beside the path. It takes all kinds I suppose...

...The owner was upset that I picked their dog up and threw it ...
I've done this when a neighbour's dog insisted on digging from their side of the communal fence and defecating in my garden and terrorising my poor auld cat. Dog over fence first, followed by dog-poo from a shovel. I just got tired talking and seeing no action.

Thanks OP for starting this thread even though my views will collide with yours. You clearly think you are an estimable dog owner - doing and trying to do all the right things. And that is admirable. However, as a walker who is afraid of dogs I'd just like to say that I would like parks and walking to be organised around humans including those (very many) of us who are afraid of dogs..............rather than dogs.

When I was a child growing up in a south Dublin housing estate dog ownership was very exceptional - in an estate of 100 houses there were perhaps 10 dogs - we were one of the 10% so I did grow up with dogs. Today the % of dog ownership not only appears to be much greater but many people have multiple dogs ( I have no statistics but welcome if someone else has them). Although I walk regularly in my local park my pleasure is hugely impacted by the number of dogs whether they are on a leash or not. There is a short hill walk near me that I used to like but it is now adopted by dog walkers mostly with at least 2 and more dogs on the leash and not. I really don't feel safe walking there any more.

I offer this as an alternative perspective. You may or may not wish to take my views on board.

I think if signage prohibits unleashed dogs then dog owners should obey. This is reasonable.

Prior to becoming seriously ill, as a GAA player I would generally jog/train myself saturday mornings on my Club GAA pitch in a Dublin Council park. The dogs brought out for walkies loved chasing me, grabbing my sliothairs, urinating on my kitbag, emptying their bowels on the pitch. Owners invariably apologetic etc etc but didn't give a damn about the prominent unleashed dog signage. Occasionally some idiot would start driving golf balls, again ignoring Golf prohibited signage.

I like dogs generally. IMO dogs should be loose where it is allowed.

I've had so many walks ruined by dog owners. I don't care if your dog if only being friendly, I still shouldn't have to put up with a dog putting his nose which has just sniffed another dog's backside only minutes before, sniffing round me. Why should I have to put up with a dog bounding along a pathway. I've had people's dog come sniffing up to my kids in their buggy on on their bikes while the child is obviously crying or upset and the dog owner just laughing it off with a "he's only being friendly". having a dog on long leashes which isn't pulled in when approaching another person is just plain rude. I don't hate dogs but the majority of dog owners certainly leave alot to be desired in good behaviour towards other citizens.

I totally disagree with Elcato - I'm terrified of dogs and to see one hurtling towards me, whether playful or not, is a nightmare for me and leaves me a shuddering, shrieking mess. So, if there's a public walk where dog owners are requested to leash the dog, then I think they should.

Totally agree with you, Eithneangela..

An absolute nightmare for me to meet an unleashed dog! At this stage I have tried everything to overcome this fear but have not succeeded.

The signs say you must have your dog on the leash and how you interpreted that you need not have the dog on a leash is beyond me. I know the law states that you must be in full control of your animal at all times. Its in black and white "Please keep dogs on leash"

I'm with Armada and Eithnrangela on this. Terrified of dogs and even more terrified of dog owners that don't respect that some people feel the way I do. I did get over this fear a number of years ago, but got bitten by a dog after so the fear returned. Also would never trust them again,

I too am terrified of dogs, but not all dogs. I think one should be allowed to walk in peace. It doesn't bother me dogs not being on a leash if they do not approch me and if they are of a very calm breed. Alsations and Rotweillers make me shake with fear if they are unleased. My children too are afraid even though I've never displayed this fear. They scream if a friendly dog runs up to them unexpectedly. But they will pet a nice calm dog no problem.

The worst thing is dog owners thinking it is acceptable for their dog to come anywhere near me without permission. But as I said small calm breeds don't scare me. Yesterday the neighbours dog got into our garden 'again' to chase our cat. But I didn't mind as to me he's an ok dog, I've seen him in action and kids are not scared of him anymore. The cat and dog love chasing each other, I've never seen anything like it, neighbour shouts at the cat and dog to stop and sprays them with water occasionally as she doesn't want cat to damage her furniture (rented house) and she found the cat inside asleep a few times.

I sent over the kids to inform the neighbour about the dog and the 10 year old master asked them if they'd bring the dog over for him. As if !

Flossie you were clearly wrong to have the dog unleased, but it wouldn't bother me if your dog was of a type that would never approch me and was not of what I consider a dangerous breed, or one that could do me harm. Dogs can sense my fear. Probably the lady you encountered had the same fear.

it wouldn't bother me if your dog was of a type that would never approch me and was not of what I consider a dangerous breed, or one that could do me harm.

The problem is, there is no telling as you approach if the dog is going to leave you alone or not. And respectfully, when you are being snarled at, teeth showing, snapped at - its frightening even when its a less 'dangerous' breed - as I can testify having been attacked by a good sized spaniel while the owners stood by. Its really only not frightening when its a dog smaller than your handbag, but even they can give a nasty nip.

For me the real issue on this thread is the OP deciding to interpret signs as they please and not as they state. To me that suggests a selfishness about using an area that other people also use. Some people are scared of dogs. Some people dont like dogs. Theyre entitled to use the area as well and if the dog walkers are breaking the rules it ruins their use of the area.

If you want your dog to run free, take him to a place specifically designed for him to run free or let him free on your own land.

And respectfully, when you are being snarled at, teeth showing, snapped at - its frightening even when its a less 'dangerous' breed .

You're absolutely right truthseeker, and to me a dog that does that is totally unacceptable but at least if it was small I could kick it. No way would I take on a large dog and so I have more fear of them.

I cannot understand how any owner with a dog that does what you outlined would find it acceptable. They're not fit to be owners.

What amazes me when I hear people talk about their pets (animal) they seem to evaluate them to children (person). I was in a house at weekend where their pet dog licked their baby's face after coming home from a walk where I watched the dog lick other dogs POO. Is it me or are we trying to bring the dog to human level or are we trying to bring our children to animal level.

What amazes me when I hear people talk about their pets (animal) they seem to evaluate them to children (person). I was in a house at weekend where their pet dog licked their baby's face after coming home from a walk where I watched the dog lick other dogs POO. Is it me or are we trying to bring the dog to human level or are we trying to bring our children to animal level.

Yea, I agree with that.
I do tell my children that I prefer the dog to them but I'm half joking when I say it.

Back